Youtube!

Discussion in 'Unrelated Discussion' started by Geers, September 10, 2015.

1. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

2. tehtrekd

tehtrekd Post Master General

Death has never been so adorable
    tatsujb likes this.
  3. killerkiwijuice

killerkiwijuice Post Master General

we got almost a meter of snow :s
    tunsel11 likes this.
  4. tatsujb

OMG that looks epic!! I like skiing so much!!

that bit at the end with the cops tho.... :D :D :D :D ...did NOT expect that! made my day!
    tunsel11 likes this.
  5. tehtrekd

Erm.

To summarize this... fantastical tale, the people behind "The Fine Bros." have decided to allow people to license their specific style of "_____ react to". The way it works is that you license it to make your own version of it, and the Fine Bros. get a cut of your revenue.
    First of all, you gotta love how they're acting like the most important cultural figure since Michael Jackson. I mean there's Hubris and then there's the Fine Bros. I mean jeez.

Second of all, I'm willing to admit that on paper this makes for an okay idea, you're more than just a small YouTube channel, you're an actual media outlet with a studio and crew and you want to protect your logo, name and brand, that's fair, and multiple channel networks have worked in the past. Even though I don't like YogsCast or Machinima because of what they've done, they've proven to be a great way for a small channel to get noticed by a lot of people very easily.
    However, Machinima and Yogscast stop at brand name. The general content put out by members of those networks may be similar, but what the Finebros are doing is essentially creating a way for people to make "Kids React: Australia", and that's where my problems start arising. This is like a corporate version of when Minecraft started getting insanely huge, and all of a sudden EVERYONE was making Minecraft videos. It's going to be the same content from different people, only this time it's all so the Fine Bros can get more money for virtually no work, at a 50/50 split I might add, and if you decide to quit but keep your videos up, the Fine Bros still get a cut, at the same rate.

Also, I find it interesting how on the Fine Bros Facebook there's a post saying
    (source: https://www.facebook.com/FineBros/p...facebook.com/FineBros/posts/10153850492114522)

Whereas on their official FAQ on the matter, it says this.
    (source: http://www.finebrosent.com/reactworldfaq/)
    Hm.

This isn't even to talk about how they've decided to trademark a name as generic as "Kids React".

I think this quote sums up The Fine Bros.' hypocrisy perfectly.

"As digital media has become more corporate, the spirit of wanting to do things differently than traditional Hollywood has started to dissipate, but our company has never lost that spirit"
    Said in a video about their company licensing its show to further YouTube's descent into traditional programming, all in the name of profit.

Again, I want to say this isn't a bad idea on paper, but the execution, to say the least, was sloppy.
  6. tatsujb

I say let's downvote this **** to oblivion; it's well on it's way too :

[​IMG]

A.) I like I can stand this content on the rare occasions where it's made pro
    B.) as if YT wasn't enough of a foul mistress already let's deduce part of what you make for ourselves thank youuuuu
    tunsel11 likes this.
  7. Geers

Geers Post Master General

"Second of all, I'm willing to admit that on paper this makes for an okay idea"

No it's not flucking ok. They want to basically copyright reaction videos. WHICH IS NOT OK. Nobody should be giving those people money just because they showed people stuff and filmed them looking at it. They weren't even the first ones to do it. I hope their channel flucking dies.

/rant

Oh and they're also censoring negative comments. Because of course they are.

Last edited: January 30, 2016
  8. tehtrekd

Again, if they just licensed their name and all that jargon like I said it could've been fine.
    "on paper", it could have been a good idea, Fine Bros just took it WAAAAAYYYY too far.
    Also, lol, this comic.
    2016-01-29-amd_corpse_run_16_01_29_2.png
    Geers likes this.
  9. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

Pretty much this. Honestly, if they just made a Youtube Group like most youtubers are already a part of anyway, and just offer publishing services to boost views on the ones people are willing to license to them, then they'd be no different than what current Youtube Groups practice, what with how-to's or lets-play's. The part where they claim copyright on reaction videos, like people weren't doing them for wedding proposals since Kodak was invented, is where they get retarded.

Hopefully, they suck, crash, and burn at the "copyright" endeavor, and still go through with the "Reaction World" as a hub for smaller channels to piggyback off of for a split, so they are successful but not at being assholes. Otherwise, this is going to be the second major exodus from YouTube to DailyMotion and other video websites that won't support these shenanigans, which always leads to YouTube pulling their own *** out of a nosedive at the last second and declining to back any copyright claims they have anymore in a complete 180 maneuver.

Preferably the first way, but either way, this will all be a funny occurrence in the not so distant future, we will look back on this and laugh about how shitty 2016 started.
    Last edited: January 30, 2016
  10. tehtrekd

Anyone else remember CONJOPI?
    Anyone else feel like it may happen again?
    Geers likes this.
  11. tatsujb

OMG !! the fine bros thing literally made FilmCow acknowledge it and make a video !

This is flippin' amazing guys!
    tunsel11 likes this.
  12. tehtrekd

Fine Bros made a follow-up.

Just listen to that condescending tone.
    tatsujb likes this.
  13. Geers

God it's unbearable. Here's what their trademark is:

It's like trademarking a genre. Nope Disney got it you can't call your film sci-fi!

http://tmsearch.uspto.gov/bin/showfield?f=doc&state=4803:wi4wnw.3.15
  14. tehtrekd

They're bleeding subscribers like crazy. Apparently they started at over 14.1 million and are currently well on their way to 13.95. This is kind of amazing.
    tatsujb likes this.
  15. killerkiwijuice

killerkiwijuice Post Master General

hahah this is actually hilarious
  16. Geers

Wondering what happened to Scott Manley's channel?

stuart98 and tatsujb like this.
  17. Geers

Fun fact: Warframe's soundtrack sucks hard. Listening to Queen stops it from becoming REALLY dull when playing for more than an hour.

That's the one with Freddie Mercury in Geordi La Forge cosplay.

Best superbowl commercial:

Last edited: February 1, 2016
  18. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

This is pretty much how I saw the whole FineBros bit. I think some of the reaction was misguided.

19. tatsujb

'Murrica! (with an opposite twist)
  20. tatsujb

timtimfed is an awsome FX channel on youtube.

recently they started a series. It's amazing....
    Geers likes this.