Yo Dawg I Herd You Liek Experimentals

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by stuart98, November 1, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Raevn

Raevn Moderator Alumni

Don't get personal, peeps.
  2. MrTBSC

MrTBSC Post Master General

what´s the context?

have you ever seen a gta game having real life cars with their propper trademarks?
    not being personal but just giving a drastic example ..
    the former Statement about naivty and Moral bankruptness was not aimed at anyone specific ...
    Last edited: November 3, 2014
  3. Raevn

Raevn Moderator Alumni

It's a reference to an anti-piracy video that was used in Australia that links downloading with physically stealing ("You wouldn't steal a car ..."). In typical fashion, the internet now frequently references it via "You wouldn't download a car ..." :p

Edit:

Oh, and massive irony: The music used in the video was found to be used without consent.
  4. MrTBSC

i see .. thx
  5. theseeker2

theseeker2 Well-Known Member

420 download cars and airplaens all day erryday
  6. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

yes it is...!

you play as all the sum of 1000$ commanders when you play offline!

You advocate paying for a cause:
    then it's contrary.

make up your mind.

honestly I'm more on your side when you advocate "paying for a cause" then when you advocate "keeping what's yours"
  7. Raevn

Raevn Moderator Alumni

I have no idea what you are saying here :confused:. Uber have less vested interest in keeping those commanders out of mods than the backers whom the commanders belong to. That is, Uber aren't likely to be hurt by the commanders' use. On the other hand, the backer who the commander belongs to may very well dislike it being used.

:confused:? I only advocate putting money towards Uber's projects (any projects) if you want PA to continue for longer. If you hold off putting money towards Uber's other projects, you only hurt PA. I never advocate the opposite?
  8. philoscience

philoscience Post Master General

Yeah, punching an old lady in the face is the same as using a freely available 3D model in a videogame in a way that is completely allowed by the terms of service. No disanalogy or hyperbole at play there whatsoever. This community is so ridiculously histrionic.
  9. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

It's as free as a pirated copy of PA on pirate bay.
    cptconundrum and MrTBSC like this.
  10. MrTBSC

if it is free why does it have a pricetag on it?
  11. philoscience

No. That is another ridiculous false analogy. I paid full price for PA, which comes with all the commander models included in the game files. I didn't sign anything that said I couldn't mod and use those as I see fit. Using these models as additional units is completely within the scope of the game as purchased. To suggest that is the same as stealing the game from the IP owners is ridiculous. Really Colin I expect more from you.
  12. philoscience

I realize you are being facetious because you have an axe to grind with me, and don't really give a damn about discussing this in a sensible way, but I meant it is freely available to anyone who purchased the game. There is no terms of service associated with buying the full PA game that prevents or disallows playing on privately hosted servers making use of these models. We are not allowed to use them on uber servers as commanders. Everything else is just the white knights of this forum inventing a false moral dilemma.
  13. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

nevermind I know what you were saying in the second quote and to an extent I agree, I thought for the first you were saying that people or Uber should care about those commander and their assets not being used in mods, when concretely that's a terrible concept that can only hurt PA and hold it back.

My stance is you give for commanders with the same attitude you give to HR: to help PA.
  14. endurrr

endurrr Active Member

Stuart just play frankenstein with a few commanders and make your very own megabots, we could all argue forever on this
    stuart98 and MrTBSC like this.
  15. MrTBSC

i have nothing to grind with you
    i don´t know you and i don´t care that you don´t care about what i am thinking
    i am primarily here to discuss things ..

what you seem to not get over the whole issue is the fact that if those models can be freely modded into the game
    you take any incentive from a customer to ever thinking of actualy buying the commanderskins ..
    because why should he care about the skins when he can have them in another way ... why should he care about what the other player sees? he gets the skin in a modded fasion but he gets it .. this way you are denying both uber and the backer of the commander money they were meant to get that way ..
    Last edited: November 3, 2014
  16. philoscience

I'm sorry. If you care to edit your post to a minimum basic standard of readable English, i'll try to understand what your saying. I don't have time to parse your otherwise gibberish arguments.
    cmdandy likes this.
  17. mot9001

mot9001 Well-Known Member

There is absolutely nobody being robbed, or harmed in any way if someone uses a model in a homecooked mod. I can't agree with anyone here except philo i think. I got my bike stolen a huge amount of times and that definitly feels different as an exclusive commander-model being used as superweaponish unit in a mod of PA. There is a difference. Its also needed that people stop giving these modders a misguided feeling of guilt. Its really below the belt (especially since stuart is a young person who might even believe the bullshit your selling him) so i suggest stopping this right now because there is nothing being stolen so stop trying to fool people into believing those lies.
    nlaush, tatsujb and philoscience like this.
  18. philoscience

Yeah I tried to argue reasonably but people have just stuck their fingers in their ears. I agree that there is a bit of nuance at play here, but the analogy to theft is simply inappropriate and inaccurate. .
  19. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

I love how you say that then used the incorrect "your" ;)

What he said is if people just mod these into the game, why would anybody feel like buying the custom commanders?

The use of commanders is both lazy and a bit rude to do without consent, even if not intended. In fact I'd he used any models not in the store, then that's even ruder as I'm almost certain they wouldn't want it to be used that way, considering they didn't even want others to be able to buy them.
    cptconundrum and MrTBSC like this.
  20. MrTBSC

no you are denying them money ... it is basicly stealing ...
    hey i go make mod the armalisk ... why should i buy it?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.