Xbox one gains backwards compatibility

Discussion in 'Monday Night Combat 360 General Discussion' started by teapot, June 15, 2015.

1. teapot

teapot Post Master General

Just announced on M$'s press release.. looks like it won't be available right away but one key thing they mentioned was how it's up to the developers to give M$ the go, and they'll get it up there. I find it hard to believe the dev's don't have to do ANY work, but theoretically MNC should work fine on there.

In fact, MNC on an Xbox One might actually be able to handle OT.
    untouchablexp, y3434 and murkyduh like this.
  2. teapot

off topic but PVZ Garden Warfare 2 was just announced as well
  3. notgunkedcontrol

notgunkedcontrol Post Master General

DarksoulsDarksoulsDarksoulsDarksoulsDarksoulsDarksoulsDarksoulsDarksoulsDarksoulsDarksoulsDarksouls
    murkyduh likes this.
  4. notgunkedcontrol

Rare Collection. Also ekanaut is at e3 and he is wearing an occulus rift at his hotel 2 hours ago.
  5. teapot

Yeah, he's been exclusively doing some VR stuff for the last couple of months. I really have no interest in VR personally but learned some cool stuff from following his twitter. There's SO MUCH that goes into VR that I didn't account for.

I heard about the rare collection but looks like I just missed it.. what's in it?
  6. teapot

Also that Cup Head hype! I have no idea why I'm so interested in that game
  7. notgunkedcontrol

All of rares games that aren't owned by other companies pretty much. So battletoads, conker, banjo, perfect dark, viva pinata, kameo, grabbed by the ghoulies, and other games.
    Last edited: June 15, 2015
  8. teapot

just watched it on youtube and that's dope! I'm actually really hyped about this ****, Xbox one finally looks good to me. It's still a shitty console but at least it has a good line up now.
    murkyduh likes this.
  9. RandomToon

RandomToon Well-Known Member

Yeah. This is good news.
  10. teapot

11. purplescratchy

purplescratchy Well-Known Member

12. teapot

Who makes less sense? You or untouchable.. that's a tough one.
  13. purplescratchy

the new star wars shooter looks sick also, its like a mix of halo and cod
    asdgfasgrehesrgasd
  14. teapot

this is probably the best E3 for microsoft in a loooooong time.

Doom is going to be a skilled arena FPS.
    New Ghost Recon, New Rainbow Six (even though it looks like ****)
    Star Wars
    PvZ2
    Gears 4 + Gears Collection
    Battleborn
    and plenty of other shooters.. yeah that's just the shooters.

This is the first time I feel like the number of games I'm interested in out-weighs the time I have to play them. If backwards compatibility wasn't a possibility for MNC the game would have permanently died for sure.
  15. purplescratchy

After every pm or month or new years ect you always say "crazy to think pms still happen even in/after ____"
    MNC wil live on for a while longer but u dont have to say "crazy to think pms still happen in june of 2015"
  16. teapot

That's because it is pretty crazy, and if anything we are lucky that just about every big "killer" had fucked up its lauch. Hell MNC was going to "die" once brink launched, and I was barely involved with maintaining a community then. If any of the games, besides brink actually had a smooth launch or lived up to their hype than it would have hurt us bad.

It's probably not easy for you to see from sitting on the sidelines. It sounds dumb but it's taken a lot of effort just to get matches going past March/April.

FYI 99.9% of people who have played this game consider it dead, and considered it dead more than a year ago. Shadowrun is considered a dead game but is still more active than ours.
    leov1993 likes this.
  17. y3434

y3434 Active Member

http://www.zdnet.com/article/emulation-is-key-to-microsofts-xbox-backward-compatibility-story/

Hype is good, but I'm skeptical. It's very unclear how capable this emulator is. Are there any online shooters on the current compat list? Are there any games based on Unreal? When I see one I'll be more hopeful about MNC.
    XB emulation on 360 was a success because the 360 hardware is much faster than the old XB. And XBone vs 360 is not that much faster. But what do I know. Hope dies last, and then dies MNC.
  18. teapot

Well so far those polls are not user created and I've found a couple of polls that were made and instantly closed because of external hardware limitations, mostly in kinect games. It's too early to tell how this will all work, but Gears is in that picture.
  19. teapot

Shadowrun has 237 when just this morning we were mid 30's. I posted it around and were up to 44 but we need to eventually get into the hundreds.

You guys should all go vote on your alt accounts. Gunked alone could probably bring it up by 20 votes.
  20. y3434

y3434 Active Member

From what I gathered, porting involves the following:
    - Legal approval.
    - Packaging. Basically, creating a small piece of software which is an XB1 game that launches the actual 360 game in the emulator. Not clear if that is created with a push of a button or more involved.
    - Testing. Not clear by whom: MS or the dev.
    - Praying that it works with acceptable quality.

Also, some interesting info here:
    http://www.dualshockers.com/2015/06/15/xbox-one-backwards-compatibility-faq-explains-the-ins-and-outs-of-playing-your-old-xbox-360-games/