Xbox One does a wicked 180 Tokyo Drift

Discussion in 'Unrelated Discussion' started by kvalheim, June 19, 2013.

1. kvalheim

kvalheim Post Master General

Read Here

Someone just linked this on my FB. Aside from a 1 time setup, XBone now doesn't require phoning home, and used games work as they do now.
    Aside from this should've being done in the first place, I'm honest to god surprised they responded to feedback. They stuck to their guns when everyone hated Windows 8 and Vista.

Gonna play a little devils advocate though, and say that I wouldn't have minded cloud-based games. Disks get scratched. The signing on bit is annoying, but do it like with CD keys or something like PC does. Personally I don't care about used games unless it's for my classic Xbox where games are all like £1 now
  2. Col_Jessep

Col_Jessep Moderator Alumni

You can do that if you dominate the market with 80%. But from what I heard MS is taking back a few steps from their completely insane ideas even for Windows.

Anyway, I'm not surprised that they changed their mind. If they had not Sony would have won the competition hands down. MS wouldn't even have been in the same stadion. Now they can hope and pray that their games can keep them on eye-level with the PS4. Might work, might not.

There are still too many issues with the Xbone hardware imo. I wouldn't want to pay extra for the Kinect. I'd never use it anyway. Unless they can come up with a brilliant idea or game that makes good use of the Kinect that thing is just a paper weight.
  3. NegimaSonic

NegimaSonic Active Member

I came here to post about this but I got beaten. I'm actually proud of them for this one, at the same time I'm unhappy as this was basically pushing a win for PS4. I feel the Xbox One has a slightly stronger launch set and all the negativity about the online and lending was basically pushing that all behind.

Yeah that extra $100 might hurt them over the PS4 but it's a bit easier pill to swallow now I guess. Who knows, maybe there's a chance they'll take that back too. I doubt it.

I do kind of hope they still try some of their cloud ideas though, there's a rumor even Steam is going to try game lending and that might've been inspired by Microsoft's recent ideas.
  4. jbeetle

jbeetle Well-Known Member

I don't buy physical games anymore. But that's not what bothered me. They were acting like used car salesmen that were trying to pull one over on as many people as possible.

(they would have been stupid to not make changes)
  5. Col_Jessep

Might even be a strategy behind the whole thing. They wanted to see what they can get away with and they got through with the Kinect. Now they take back the online check and used games and everybody forgets about the rest. Couple of months later the fans will probably pay the $100 extra although they don't want the Kinect.

I think MS hopes the Kinect becomes the new Wii controller and the Xbone an integral part of every american TV set.
  6. tehemopenguin

tehemopenguin Moderator Alumni

Family Sharing with up to 9 other people is now gone. :(
  7. DeadStretch

DeadStretch Post Master General

Oh is it really? Lame! Remove what everyone was griping over as well as removing what made it somewhat bearable. That game sharing could have been what Microsoft needed now after this change to "take the lead."
  8. Lockisbetta

Lockisbetta Member

Interesting, they've reverted their DRM schemes and are now trying to win back those who lost interest because of it. From the article there's no mention of Kinect so I guess that will be always on and looking at you.

Cloud sharing could've worked, if it wasn't coupled with terrible DRM. If they had it without the DRM that would be a step in the right direction. They need to introduce online stuff like this slowly, blend it in with the offline stuff initially then slowly move onto just online.

The damage has been done however, with Sony having a huge advantage over Microsoft after demolishing them at E3, will they be able to redeem their image before it's too late?
    Last edited: June 20, 2013
  9. DeadStretch

DeadStretch Post Master General

Kinect will not always be on unless you leave it on.
    http://www.reddit.com/r/xboxone/wiki/index
  10. Lockisbetta

Lockisbetta Member

That's nice to hear, as long as you can keep the Kinect off while you're using the console then I'm happy. Doesn't this make it a little redundant though? That it's being bundled with the console even if it has no intention of being used?
  11. Col_Jessep

[​IMG]
  12. missionaryposition

missionaryposition Member

I don't care if Xbone is free. No one plays it anyway in my country anyway.

Tried looking for a match in BO2 today... DEAD community :cry:
  13. tehemopenguin

I thought you wouldn't be able to buy it anyways?
  14. missionaryposition

I think so.
  15. NegimaSonic

Well with the removal of the region lock, it doesn't matter as much, they're able to buy from Amazon or wherever just like people did with the PS4.
  16. missionaryposition

I think that the fact that Xbox 360/One will continue to be dead in Japan remains.
  17. NegimaSonic

I won't deny that, but I'm just saying for those who want it, it's now an option.
  18. missionaryposition

19. tehemopenguin

But... but how do you play Halo without it?
  20. missionaryposition

what is halo