Wrecks, why?

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by mandarni, July 31, 2013.

1. LordQ

LordQ Active Member

My only worry for it would be pathing. If the pathing system we end up with is able to handle 10,000 + units navigating wreckage like a baws, I'd be happy to have it too.
  2. nanolathe

nanolathe Post Master General

If TA could do it 16 years ago, I think PA will be able to today.
    :p
  3. bobucles

bobucles Post Master General

For a quick list of what wreckage does:

1) Wreckage improves early game speed and conflict. Rocks and ruins provide a powerful early game boost of resources. This gets bases built FAR more quickly. (It is basically a linear boost at the beginning of an exponential curve.) The value of ruins mean that fighting over them is important, encouraging light/fast skirmishes and fast reclaimers to get the resources ASAP.

2) Wreckage provides direct interaction with battle. High health units can suddenly become deleterious to a battle when they clog it up with high health wrecks. Long range AA guns have their shots easily blocked by junk that gets in the way. Short range/tiny units benefit as the battle becomes more urbanized and short ranged. Artillery benefits as it can hide behind cover and lob over the obstacles. Lots of this depends on durable wreckage, which happened in TA but was removed in later games for some reason.

3) Wreckage increases late game speed. Lose a lot of resources in battle? Get them back, and try again! Income rates do not have to be high when most of the money in the game keeps being recycled into new units. For example TA extractors gave 2 metal, while PA extractors need 7 metal to do the same thing.

4) Wreckage encourages re-battle. After a big fight, there is a second conflict to win the resources of the first one. Fast/lightweight reclaimer units excel at this role, making them a core unit at all stages of the game. Transports/unit guns/teleporters might be expensive, but they can be extremely useful to get your reclaimers to the goods first.

Even if one side was victorious, there is still the "king of all dicks" move to nuke/artillery/mini asteroid the ruins and deny it completely. Of course, that depends on the weapons being more useful against inanimate wreckage rather than used directly against a base.
  4. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

Oh no! has it already been so long you can't remember?? Yes they'd go straight through. Also I'd think i'd be cool if units in Pa could push them.
  5. smallcpu

smallcpu Active Member

Eh, I want that as an ability for a superheavy tank. The unit itself would be pretty average and perhaps slightly worse then similar tanks but it could drive through wreckages and walls to clear a way for the following forces. :twisted:
  6. beanspoon

beanspoon Member

Here is a man who has his priorities straight. Hear hear.
  7. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

I would love to see the GW mode have a memory of past battles wreckage and map damage so that a long war could take place in a true wasteland where the metal deposits are destroyed and the only real metal left if on the battlefield ready to be reclaimed.

Turing paradise worlds into urban sprawls of death.
  8. mushroomars

mushroomars Well-Known Member

I hope bots will actually be able to use wrecks as cover. You know, tanks are too low to hit units in wrecks, but bots stand tall enough to shoot over them with their laser poof-cannons, which is kind of weird considering that laser poof-cannons would be the last thing to be affected by gravity.

I know most people are against cover but it was the reason Artillery Bots did anything but stand around dying in TA.
  9. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

TA mobile missiles kicked *** I'll have you know.

DF or low firing angle tanks like we currently have in PA aside, I feel like if they were less manoeuvrable in the way they turn it could give bots the upper hand in urban wreak involvements.
  10. kalherine

kalherine Active Member

Why do wrecks exist?

Do we need to say wy!
    For now wrecks got no special use,but in the right time they will be very important to this this game.
  11. gobbygee

gobbygee Member

that would be amazing, so where bots run around the wreaks quickly and use them for cover, tanks just power threw and push them forward creating a wall as well as some front Armour but at the same time they have to shoot threw the wreck destroying it as well. also the wreck on the front of the tank should slow down there turn rate meaning that the bots would be able to very quickly run behind the army and sweep in.