Wow, Way to totally make this game spam tastic!

Discussion in 'Balance Discussions' started by mechano, January 24, 2014.

1. iron420

iron420 Well-Known Member

Yes, I'm hoping for some bigger projects I can pour resources into that are effective on either offense or defense without the need to build them en-mass. Stuff that fit this category in FA:

All experimentals
    Shields
    commander / sub commander upgrades
    Sub commanders

I know you guys pretty much said no to all that, but I haven't heard what you plan to replace them with... Just because they don't complement the swarm play-style doesn't mean they won't be missed.
  2. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

You can spam experimentals just like any other unit. People do in FA. It's crazy.
  3. thetdawg3191

thetdawg3191 Active Member

SupCom 2 was even worse, half the time it was spam experimentals or die.
  4. iron420

I guess with the eco as it is there's really nothing we can't spam in the end game. My point was you don't need to spam those for them to be effective and they give you something to sink your resources into early instead of swarms.
  5. Tontow

Tontow Active Member

For some odd reason if I do an planet wide area build command for Mex I end up with 2/3 of the mex on the planet for most of my games.....

There is strategy involved, but only if you learn to play and not be so noobish with your play style.
    Once you get an even game, all the spam in the world will not help you.
  6. abubaba

abubaba Well-Known Member

7. Arachnis

Arachnis Well-Known Member

I don't think that I mentioned experimentals anywhere. Also I said mobile ground units that you don't have to spam to be effective. The option of spamming them anyway is not excluded. But imo it's a matter of balance and unit role whether you want to spam something or not.
  8. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

I was talking about iron420's first point.
  9. Arachnis

Arachnis Well-Known Member

I don't think experimentals is something that should be mentioned in a balance discussion. People are reacting allergic when hearing that word. Experimentals like in SupCom don't fit into this game for reasons that have been mentioned a million times. They were the focus of SupCom, but PA should not be the same.

PA tries to be more like TA, where every unit counts, creating more viable strategies instead of having the same goal every game.

Sorry iron420. Just use a different word :)
    Last edited: January 24, 2014
  10. iron420

We aren't talking balance. We are talking ideology, direction and viability
  11. Slamz

Slamz Well-Known Member

If you're looking for 100% turtling via base defenses to be viable, I wouldn't hold your breath. The best turtles in all games almost always involve a combination of static defenses and mobile units to plug the holes and PA is no different. Base defenses are vulnerable alone. They are much better behind walls. They are crazy good behind walls and combined with your own units.

I like to think I'm pretty good and when I need a defense against the bot swarm, I use laser turrets, walls and my own bots and bombers. I try not to skip any of these components.

They did seem to break the Leveler this last patch, though. It's awful compared to the T2 bot. (The Ant is still a good unit.)
  12. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

Meh. It is en mass. It isn't spam. Spam usually implies using something generously and it doing its task despite any accuracy applied to it.

Really, spamming things does fall flat when applied in a manner that you lose the units 2:1 or higher. I mean, Gil-es tear up standard armies with adequate visual, bombers tear up armies of gil-es and for the gil-es to be close enough you at least have to trade them with bombers, turrets kill armies especially with repair and walls, artillery kill turrets...

There is still strategy involved, just with the balance catch that you usually must build lots of the things. Which even makes it deeper because you can have a frontline of combat units a midline of repair units and a backline of sniper units. The chunk of army and how it is layered, is your superunit, with just as much investment and much more flexibility and customization.
    dc443 likes this.
  13. Dementiurge

Dementiurge Post Master General

Spam.

This is Hawaii, it goes with everything.
    chronosoul likes this.
  14. iron420

Pretty much so far. I'm not looking to turtle specifically, and I know having good unit composition on release is key (it is in sup-com too). I tend to tech up in RTS games, it's just my style. I know these robots are supposed to already be the best they can be so upgrades don't make sense, and I'm cool with that, but there's a play-style void that has left and I find myself without a form of attack that resonates with me.

I guess research in RTS games represents a 1 time investment for a long term gain which I love. I like to pour resources into projects that turn the tide or surprise an enemy and catch them off guard and there isn't anything like that planned so far (aside from planet smashing). In the end game we get such stupid amounts of resources with nothing to spend it on. Even some sort of super factory that is as good as 10 factories would be nice. Beats building 10 separate factories and lets me waste my stupid amount of resources if I build 10 super 1s instead of 100 little space wasters...
  15. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

Consider gil-e/commander/adv.combat-fabber hit-squad, nukes, and in-planet teleporters. Fun things to blow your money on.
    iron420 likes this.
  16. nixtempestas

nixtempestas Post Master General

Pelter/Holkin/Catapult creep.

Cover the whole planet in them if you want.

You probably won't win against anyone paying even the slightest bit of attention to your base but its an option.
  17. kalherine

kalherine Active Member

PA bigest problem .
    Because the curvature planet you dont have a rts tactic to this game like others rts games on plane field.
    PA will always have this problem because its on a planet that you play,after you scout and kepp scout all game the enemy base(s) you think in a line to enemy base and went only by there like a plataform game.

All the fantasy tactic option ,that we so much love in flat maps has gone,and now its impossible get back,so yes just imagine a line to enemy and spam spam or dont this game push the image off simcity builds.

Its to easy to play.

Air no use.
    Naval just forget no one use.
    Just stay home keep the scouts and with some usefull defences thats it you can play about 3 or 4 hours...
  18. kalherine

kalherine Active Member

Game got tatic but very standar tatics like i play on my galaxy....
    Last edited: January 26, 2014
  19. thetdawg3191

thetdawg3191 Active Member

that post gave me ghonoherpesyphilaids.......
    Arachnis likes this.
  20. chronosoul

chronosoul Well-Known Member

Your english has improved little by little. Just taking notice .

Back on topic, The game has been in balance flux for 3 weeks, its a little early to say air and naval has no use. Considering there is a topic on how T2 bombers are Awesome OP. I think commenting on broad strokes won't help the developers fix the issues, lets get a little more specific in why Air and naval are no use and why spamming armies doesn't feel Fun shall we?
    Grimseff likes this.