Would uber sell the rights to MNC?

Discussion in 'Uber Entertainment Discussion' started by teapot, October 15, 2013.

1. DeadStretch

DeadStretch Post Master General

I'd like to think aiming it not even half the equation in a competitive match.
  2. mkrater

mkrater Uber Alumni

If the folks hosting the competition say it's cool, then it's cool to me. To me, you can still create competition with aim-assist, but if I were giving out awards - I'd totally want to see player's skills without it.
  3. turbonerd

turbonerd Member

I don't get that though. Why would you want to see players play with a controller without aim-assist? It will just be everyone missing until they get lucky hits, not skill.
  4. jbeetle

jbeetle Well-Known Member

clearly, the comment was made to satisfy everyone, shaliber.
  5. mkrater

mkrater Uber Alumni

How do you know players are just "lucky" and not using skill? I've watched a lot* of players while they game and you can tell when someone has skill.

*both professionally and casually
  6. DeadStretch

DeadStretch Post Master General

Goldeneye 007 one of the best FPSs and this was the controller it was played with:
    [​IMG]
    Those yellow buttons are what was used to aim up, down, left and right.
    MrTBSC likes this.
  7. jbeetle

let's not make that comparison. It was a great game for its time, but come on.
  8. Lockisbetta

Lockisbetta Member

That was the default control config right? I remember playing it with the C buttons as movement and the stick for aiming. Those Perfect Dark speedruns were impossible to complete with the stick for movement :p.
  9. JammySTB

JammySTB Well-Known Member

Rose tinted glasses.
  10. JammySTB

Why would you want to see people play with a controller at all if it's impossible to be accurate with it?
  11. poiuasd

poiuasd Well-Known Member

Goldeneye also has an auto aim which is a lot more powerful than the ones in modern games. You didn't even have to use the manual aim on anything except some objectives like lasering the train's floor hatch.
  12. turbonerd

turbonerd Member

Jbeetle: That is dumb, either you agree with one side or the other. There is no need to satisfy everyone.

Mkrater: I doubt even the best FPS players in the world would be able to master the controller without aim-assist. Aim-assist is necessary in competitions because without it the matches would be retardedly derpy. By the way nobody who plays at a professional level is unskillful.

Jammy: I think that controllers shouldn't be used in shooters either, but since console is the most popular platform and it's where the money is at if you are trying to be a competitive FPS player, it is something that you have to use.
  13. jbeetle

some people just have that type of personality, and as a forum mod, it doesn't hurt. she's saying she wants to see both. what's the problem?
  14. turbonerd

turbonerd Member

There is no problem, you just brought it up so I was responding to you about what I think about posts like that.
  15. teapot

teapot Post Master General

It was only a matter of time before it the thread changed from Uber selling MNC's rights, to the fact that console games have auto aim because of their controllers. I'll admit, you guys took longer to bring this up than I expected.

To me, it's irrelevant. PC vs Console can't be compared directly due to the mechanics, but if you break it down you can see why there is still competitive merit and skill gaps in both. I have never met anybody who has experience in both, say it was easier to aim in FPS on console than it was on M+K. Almost everyone agrees that fast twitch based aiming and sweeping motions are easier to control with a mouse.

The ease of quick sweeping motions and the overall track of the mouse means you can be accurate faster, and generally have more control. On the opposite end of the spectrum, using the ball of your thumb to control your field of vision is undoubtably more difficult than by using your entire wrist.

Why do you think PC games don't have auto-aim? Because the mouse is a more effective system for aiming and makes it easier to be quick and accurate. Console games need auto aim to compensate for the ineffectiveness of using your thumb to aim. MNC's.

You PC guys might not be accustomed to this, but auto aim is different from aim assist which is different from bullet magnetism. All of which is rather low in this game compared to other console shooters. Also, come play sniper and gunner on Console. Even with all that auto-aim I don't think you'll fair as well as you would on console. Playing Console FPS with no bullet magnetism, or auto aim is like trying to shoot your teammates in Halo. It can be done but it's difficult keep your reticule over the target the entire time.

What PC players always fail to realize is that if they claim the controller is less effective when it comes to aiming, than in a way it also has to be more difficult to properly aim. Again, we invite any PC player who is good at MNC to come give MNC on console a try, just like the last group of PC players. If not, you might as well stop talking about how shooters on consoles don't work.

By theory if controllers didn't require assisted mechanics, it would have a larger skill gap than PC due to the difficulty in mastering it, if possible.
    naka333 and turbonerd like this.
  16. knickles

knickles Well-Known Member

oh god, can we not?

also, i doubt uber would sell the rights to MNC. I mean, maybe if they went bankrupt and actually had an offer. then mayyyyyyybeeee (but it's a stretch)
  17. mkrater

mkrater Uber Alumni

Yah, I contributed to this tangent, my bad :oops:

I'll keep the thread open to talk about MNC licensing rights, but perhaps we should start a new thread about aim-assist and another for PC vs Consoles :D
  18. teju__

teju__ Active Member

I was about to post the obligatory "dis gon b gud" gif, but then I realized that it probably wouldn't be any gud.

Oh and OT: imo, Uber selling the rights to MNC is about as likely as Uber making a sequel themselves. Maybe someday, but certainly not in the foreseeable future.
  19. Ekanaut

Ekanaut Uber Alumni

I would certainly like to revisit the MNC universe.
  20. JammySTB

MNC 3 nonfirmed.