Worse than Supreme Commander 2 in every way?

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by plasmafired, January 4, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. emraldis

emraldis Post Master General

It seems to me as if the ultimate goal of this thread was to troll a bunch of people. Looks like the OP was successful if that was his goal. It surprises me that people still feel the need to respond to these threads...

Can't we as a community just agree to completely ignore these people unless they pose relevant questions, in just the same way that this one does not? What's the point in responding to baseless insults/accusations at all? All you are doing is giving the poster more attention than they obviously deserve.

If the poster had come here asking "what's with the graphics?" than Brianpurkiss would just have told him to use the search function, and that would be it, no trolling, no unnecessary, angry responses.
  2. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

And yet there are plenty of games with intentionally low-quality graphics that are on top of the gameplay.

There are plenty of games that look pixel-y and even use gimmicky or corny names and storyline, and still play in such a unique signature way that they develop a cult following. Minecraft. Terraria. Starbound. Kerbal, TF2. None are top of the line graphic titles, all are cartoony, Kerbal had blurry textures all the way up until .19 but it is the only one of that list that has faint hope for sharp-ish graphics, with extra corny names and storyline to boot.

This is that. It is signature. Besides, it is beta, you can add a lot of detail with texture, because Supreme Commander 2 has LESS polygons than PA but still looks gritty-realistic stylized ONLY BECAUSE textures add "pipes and hatches and rivets" all over it. Yet, half the people here actually even like the clean sterile look of the robots, lacking all hatches and rivets and being solid flat sheets of surface all over.
  3. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

So the OP came here to insult the fans of PA and the few people who actually like SupCom2.......like why?

SupCom2 is more like a CNC game then it is like PA, and that is not to say CNC is bad....hell I like just about all of them.

But yeah, comparing apples to gorillas here.
  4. lokiCML

lokiCML Post Master General

There's nothing wrong with different.;) (she said with....)
  5. Slamz

Slamz Well-Known Member

I wouldn't say it's just semantics. Usually when a company declares they are having a beta, it's defined exactly as I said.

And in every single case, the players say, "Don't worry, it's just beta, this stuff will get fixed."
    And in every single case, they're wrong. They're wrong because it really WAS a beta. It was feature complete. All they did was work out a few major bugs and then release the product. The mechanics of the game were already final and nothing major changed from beta to release.

So no, this is not a beta. That's not just semantics. If this is really considered a beta, meaning it's feature complete, then my level of concern goes up by about 500%. Concepts like the unit cannon and the teleporter aren't just new minor features, like typing up a few new stats into a spreadsheet -- they are major features, requiring brand new mechanics. PA had better not be feature complete.
    Arachnis likes this.
  6. Joefesok

Joefesok Member

A) Effects are by no means done.
    B) Youtube, despite whatever quality you put it on, is never a true representation of the game
    C) Gameplay is not finished
    D) Comparing a low budget title to a AAA is simple douchebaggery.

Please provide actual, well thought out and provable answers next time you decide to insult someone's work.
    thetrophysystem likes this.
  7. Arachnis

Arachnis Well-Known Member

Yeah, calling this a beta is very misleading. This is still basically pre-alpha. I don't know what uber thought when calling this a beta, other than hoping for it to sell better.

But I forgave them a long time ago, because they're a great, hard working team, and I'm not concerned in the least about the quality of the finished product because of that. And the finished product will be all that matters, won't it?
  8. websterx01

websterx01 Post Master General

I totally agree! Who needs polygons with more sides than an octagon! This game looks sweet enough as is. (well, it can always get better, but the style is more than good enough for me... and my $2000 overkill gaming PC built around GRAPHIC rendering.)

And really, the game is coming quite far along, very fast. Especially considering how few Devs there were actually working on this when it started. I'm quite proud of the way it looks.
  9. BulletMagnet

BulletMagnet Post Master General

So, when are we locking this thread?
    thelowleypineapple, aevs and FSN1977 like this.
  10. MrTBSC

MrTBSC Post Master General

The proof in the pudding lies in the eating and this is when the game is released in whatever state it will be ...
    What you feel it is now doesnt matter ... the devs repeatedly stated its unfinished ... this is what matters not some statedeclaration like alpha beta or 80% 90% .... all we care for is its state on- and when it is ready for release ...
    if consumers dont inform themselfes propperly and only look for some keywords which definition changes from commpany to company then its their own fault .... also this is still closed it is by no means open to the public as they have to pay in to test it .... yet again the devs explained themselfes time and again what the state of the game is it should be more then transparent
    Also as has been said the game WONT be feature or content complete on release as there will be added more stuff and continued support ... are you telling me that you still would consider it a alpha or beta by that time or may be perpetual beta.... heck even if its actualy meaningless when the people enjoy the game ...it has been stated what the game is people can read it on the net and decide ...
    Last edited: January 5, 2014
  11. evilOlive

evilOlive Member

Wow, thanks to you for this. What a great watch. So informative and helpful to finally have the right words to describe a previously difficult-to-describe sense of "hmm, pretty textures but it still looks for sh*t."
    Arachnis likes this.
  12. mushroomars

mushroomars Well-Known Member

I love Extra Credits. I take a majority of my game design philosophy from them. If you ever want to participate in a discussion on videogame design with nearly the competency that a developer would, you should watch it.
    cwarner7264 and lokiCML like this.
  13. Arachnis

Arachnis Well-Known Member

Yeah same here. It will prove useful in future discussions :)
  14. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

I really don't get where the OP is coming from, or all the other responses going on about 'game play being more important' as that is basically agreeing with him.

PA looks gorgeous! The units are stylised agreed, now if that's the issue- well fair enough its not to everyone's taste. Style aside though, the planets look stunning (and are getting better all the time) and the lighting is without a doubt the best I've ever seen in an RTS game (with HDR mode turned on in particular). The day / night cycle on a fully spherical planet is just beautiful- the shadows getting longer and longer until it's black, at which point all the units and factory lights come on. The only thing I would agree on is that the fx for weapons and explosions need work as at the moment all the weapon types feel the same- but I'm confident Ubers' art team are working on those.

And the point of the game? This is the first RTS I've ever played that properly deals with planets. In fact its one of the first games of any genre that does it this well. They have really gotten the feel of 'the solar system is my playground' to a tee in the way you can move seamless from what starts out like a typical Sci-fi rts, to a view of a whole planet, to the orbital layer, to the whole solar system, then back down to another (totally different) planet in the same system. The technical challenges that they have overcome to make the game work on multiple fully spherical battle fields should not be underestimated and even if you don't like the look of the game I believe the PA engine is going to be the foundation for many other games / mods in the future as it's something truly unique.
    drz1 likes this.
  15. camycamera

camycamera Member

the graphics are amazing. just look at my profile pic.
    cdrkf likes this.
  16. c4ptainpronin

c4ptainpronin Active Member

This is probably a troll thread so i will keep it short.

Gameplay > Graphics.
    Arachnis likes this.
  17. lokiCML

lokiCML Post Master General

Before beta period started Uber clearly define what they meant by beta. So paraphrasing now:

Beta is major components roughly in creating a framework. Allowing for work on minor components followed by optimization, balance, bug fixes, and polish.

Not a traditional beta, it is what Uber said it would be.
    Last edited: January 6, 2014
  18. mushroomars

mushroomars Well-Known Member

Okay, thread closed, we can stop bumping now.
  19. hearmyvoice

hearmyvoice Active Member

He said his opinion about the game, what an insult!
    Last edited: January 5, 2014
  20. TheDeadlyShoe

TheDeadlyShoe Member

Factually, the OP was right. The graphics and presentation are mediocre for right now. As a recent buy-in, i'm glad to hear a lot of that is slated for revamps.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.