Discussion in 'Work-In-Progress Mods' started by Raevn, June 19, 2013.
Maybe a 3 team mod...
One combined ARM and CORE team,
then ARM and CORE as separate teams
Why a combined race? You select an ARM or CORE commander (as you would any of the PA commanders), and that determines whether you build ARM or CORE units.
Are you going to convert certain mod units too? I would love to see the units from TA: Escalation
Considering the metal output in TA I think it's gonna be a short fight unless you nerf or boost one of them.
It depends - TA units have high HP, and many rapid-fire units (pewee, flash, LLT). So having fewer units may not be as imbalanced.
TA doesn't have orbital units though
(but they do have a galactic gate!)
How hard would it be to make a total conversion of Supcom FA units?
It's not really possible yet. UI mods are really the only thing we can do right now but the rest of the modding features/tools are coming soon.
Given this entire mod isn't "possible" yet, we're theorycrafting here
@Bhaal, to answer your question, it would be very difficult, as I do not have an easy way to convert the models from the Sup Com format to PA's format. It would therefore have to be a manual process, which would take a lot of time (but is possible).
Excellent, can't wait to see this in action.
when i suel the tittle...
Total (automated) Annihilation i thought..."this mod plays the game for me?"
how is his mod going?
I cant wait to see the ARM commander ingame
There's not much more that can be done until the server component is released.
I find this to be great work!
I have a few questions.
1) Is this mod really ready for server side? Has everything been converted to simply plug into the game?
2) From what I understand, the units will be available to the certain commander via it's blueprints being unique. Even the ARM and CORE commander will have different blueprints from each other as well as PA commanders?
3) The numbers are speculative, but if it was found to be unbalanced between PA and TA values (one couldn't win), would there be another version adjusting the numbers or just left as comparison?
4) Oh, lastly, they might not work very well at all without signature counters in-game. I don't think they could get away without antinuke, umbrella, or in fact an orbital launcher. Will they get these units from default PA, or lack them and theoretically be hard to compare in actual competition?
5) As an extension of the last question, I am not highly aware of the lore, but in TA they DID have space travel right? If so, is it not possible to just add units fitting their "canon" as a replacement to their orbital or antinuke? I am sure they have something more like conventional spaceships and galactic gates, possibly antimissiles. Conventional spaceships might be really cool as a breath of fresh air compared to utility satellites currently in PA.
I'm going to helping out a bit with this so I can help with your questions until Raevn wants to chime in.
1) No, this mod is definitely not ready. No animations nor even the basic puppets have been created for any of the units, sound may be able to be converted I'm unsure, and also effects/weapons are not created as of now.
2) Yes the ARM and CORE commander will have their respective building blueprints and those buildings will have their own respective unit blueprints.
3) I don't recall anyone suggesting you play with both TA and PA commander simultaneously because of severe imbalances. I suppose a future version could be worked on, probably by another 3rd party, to fit with PA through balance.
4) Refer to 3
5) Yes, TA did have Space vehicles through the lore I believe; they used Warpgates, similar to Supcom's story, to teleport throughout the galaxy into multiple different star systems to take over planets, normally "gate hubs". Oh and about orbital, I'm still unsure weather to rebalance/remove/redo all of PA's orbital units to match TA. Refer to: https://forums.uberent.com/threads/poll-total-conversion-annihilation-orbital.58558/
Hope this helps with a bit of your questions, sorry I'm not completely sure on all the points stated but that's the gist of it as I understand.
Edit: Quite a bit was cut off do to disconnection, the rest has been added; sorry for any inconveniences!
Pretty much what @squishypon3 said, except for the following:
1. I'm not sure what you mean by puppets? If you mean bones/skeletons, these are automatically generated as part of the model conversion from TA.
I've not yet been successful in re-packing a sound bank, so at this stage custom sounds aren't possible at all. I've asked if we can get the template file for this; once we do it should be reasonably simple to generate the sound bank from the TA sounds.
Weapons are created as part of the automated process, but effects have not been created yet.
Using the generated TA models currently crashes the game, but not always immediately; I suspect this is due to using them in place of existing models, and since the TA models would be lacking the same bone names, this is probably causing the crash when the animation system tries to access a non-existent bone. Haven't looked into this too much yet.
5. TA had "Galactic Gates", and the model for these is available.
Again, I am lore unaware, TA had galactic gates. These... these travel through space without travel in space? Like they work where they can travel planets without something first flying manually to a planet?
If that is what you mean, that might actually be pretty cool, setting up a teleporter to a planet without having need to travel there.
I think its ridiculous you have so many of the models ported. This is why I wouldn't mind release, although thats not a popular opinion.
Well it's unknown how the Galactic Gates were first established, but during the campaign you have to take great care in their capture, because they become rather irreplaceable, and were necessary to get to enemy held planets.
Or at least, they were very hard to replace to the point that losing one would essentially bring the war to a grinding halt.
They were originally in the control of the CORE Empire, but the ARM Resistance captured them to lead assaults onto CORE worlds.
They are more or less identical to the teleporters in PA, only lore wise they were prohibitively expensive - so much so that they were the reason commanders were first created. It would take massive amounts of energy to open a gate, and it would collapse after just the commander went through.
Since it's automated, it's a case of port one, port all
Then they did have space travel in the form of spaceship?
And it is ridiculous you have an automation process for this. It is just so far ahead of the curve to have a full set of total conversion files ready before even the serverside is ready.
Separate names with a comma.