[WIP] The Realm Community Balance Mod

Discussion in 'Work-In-Progress Mods' started by nanolathe, April 23, 2014.

1. nanolathe

nanolathe Post Master General

Their range is the first thing we're addressing.
  2. emraldis

emraldis Post Master General

Ok, it's a bit problematic that they can be on par with ants, because they are literally better than ants in every way that matters.
  3. YourLocalMadSci

YourLocalMadSci Well-Known Member

I really don't know where you are getting that from. They have a lot less health, are no faster and their lack of up front damage makes them bad at dealing with heavily armoured units. In all the games we have played so far, tanks have easily dispatched them when matched on a metal for metal basis.

However, I take the point that this is still worth testing. We will do some blind trials later. If they need a nerf, then one will be applied.
  4. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

Late to the party, but I love the textures, they fit perfectly! Nice work guys. :D
  5. emraldis

emraldis Post Master General

As far as we saw, ants don't shoot fast enough to kill them.
  6. burntcustard

burntcustard Post Master General

Cougars are cool, but yeah in those games the other day with Brian and others, the cougars were OP in DPS and HP. They even destroyed a bunch of levellers in a head on assault... I thought they were meant for taking out hordes of little units!

I think there's a problem with giving units very low (close to the ground) laser firing turrets, because the projectiles hit the ground a lot because of the curvature of anything but massive planets. Giving the cougar shorter range will help, but if you can pull it off (2 weapons?), slightly longer range against air and shorter against ground could be a good solution.
  7. zweistein000

zweistein000 Post Master General

We can't put 2 weapons inside 1 bone and we can't give a weapon different ranges based on layer.
  8. wondible

wondible Post Master General

Have you looked at the base_commander changes in the last PTE build? They put three weapons on one bone, each with different range. Of course, it's entirely possibly they changed the engine to allow this.
  9. liquius

liquius Well-Known Member

We could do that, however it would be a bit of an ugly hack. You will get cases when the turret shoots both air and ground at the same time.
    wondible likes this.
  10. epicblaster117

epicblaster117 Active Member

Holy crap the cougar is op, get a good 30 of them and they literally kill everything no problem. Doesn't matter if its air tanks bots or whatever they obliterate it.
  11. squishypon3

I find it funny that both Statera and the RCBM's first imported models were tanks when planes are so much more simple. (One bone.)
  12. liquius

liquius Well-Known Member

Well our first one was actually the orbital missile (1 bone). Then it was the torpedo bomber with its two torpedo bays (3 bones). And then the two tanks (lots of bones).
  13. squishypon3

Oh yeah, forgot about the missile. I was not aware of the torpedo bomber, which model did you end up choosing of the two?
  14. squishypon3

Yep, in fact I believe that's what the sniper bot does to fire at missiles! :p
  15. zweistein000

What build have you tried? We nerfed them earlier today, lowered damage to 5 and reduced range to 100.
  16. epicblaster117

Newest build, still op.
  17. KNight

KNight Post Master General

Can you describe the scenarios you were in? Details help figuring out exactly what element is causing the issue and help us determine the best methods to tackle it.

Mike
    squishypon3 and zweistein000 like this.
  18. zweistein000

Tell me what have you done to to try and counter them? They do seem to death ball rather well but then everything does after a certain point. Additionally Cougars didn't trade that well with ants even in he Previous build. And now they don't outrage them.
  19. epicblaster117

IF you get around say 30 of these things, all air units pretty much die instantly. Blobs of bots and tanks are also ripped apart in seconds. They simply have way too much dps. Tried countering with snipers but it doesnt work that well considering the time it takes to get shots off and the point they move really fast.
  20. KNight

KNight Post Master General

We haven't figured out exactly what we're gonna do yet, I think we were leaning towards using mine for the Torp Bomber and seeing about re-purposing MadSci's but it's still entirely up in the air, I haven't gone about doing the textures for mine or anything yet so we'll see.

Mike