[WIP] The Realm Community Balance Mod

Discussion in 'Work-In-Progress Mods' started by nanolathe, April 23, 2014.

1. YourLocalMadSci

YourLocalMadSci Well-Known Member

We would have discussed it, but I've not seen you on the TS in a while. Either way, I've not got round to posting a copy of my model yet. For reference, here is the current untextured version. I apologise for not knowing how to set up a decent rendering environment:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Although I like the twin fuselage design from supcom, I wanted to get away from it, as I feel we may end up in callback/reference soup. Instead I based it on the Bristol Beaufort, crossed with the tail from a Hadley Page Halifax. However, I'm still a very novice modeller and I'm sure you can come up with something better.
  2. KNight

KNight Post Master General

But no one told me anything! ;p

Anyways, I was looking at the Beauforts as well but honestly I think the P-61's design offers something more than just a tweaked version of 90% of air units you know? Also technically the P-61 isn't a twin fuselage design, it's just that the tail connects to the engines rather than the fuselage! ;p I'll finish it because that's just what I do and we'll see what happens! ;p

Mike
  3. zweistein000

zweistein000 Post Master General

Yea maybe yours will turn out better and we'll end up using it instead. I must admit that the twin tail would make it look very unique.
    squishypon3 likes this.
  4. nanolathe

nanolathe Post Master General

We'll trial both!
    :p
    zweistein000 likes this.
  5. aevs

aevs Post Master General

Hey, I haven't tried the RCBM much yet, but I'd just like to mention that "ignore_radar" is a functional setting (similar to the cloaking counterpart "ignore_sight") which can be used for stealth units, in case you thought it may be a good idea to include some.
    Wasn't sure if this was known yet since there aren't any in-game units that use this setting, so figured I'd mention it.
  6. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

It is?!? I didn't think it was implemented, thanks!
  7. aevs

aevs Post Master General

Yup. Example:
    Clopse likes this.
  8. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

Oh this opens up so many possibilities... :D
  9. stuart98

stuart98 Post Master General

Pseudo-subs anyone?
  10. nanolathe

We were aware. We are currently going through every single one of our files and reformatting, rechecking and double-checking that we've got everything right.

"ignore_radar" will be making it in where appropriate.
    squishypon3, aevs and zweistein000 like this.
  11. zweistein000

Hey @nanolathe and @YourLocalMadSci (and @liquius of course) here are some balance suggestions that I would like to discuss:

1. Vanguards - they don't seem to be used very much. I believe the reason is that for what they do, you can get a bunch of Tanks and get a similar, but better result and uses where you would specifically need more HP more than roughly 4 Tanks (3,75 to be exact) that you get for the price of a Vanguard are low. My suggestion is to lower the cost of vanguard to 1000 and if needed lower its HP to 5000.

2. Fighters - While the nerf indeed fixed the problem where swarms of fighters would overpower everything I have found out that they are a bit lacklustre against bombers. I had 2 of then vs 1 bomber and they still took a considerate time to destroy that bomber. I would suggest a damage increase to 10 or 15. Anything beyond that would make them too strong.

3. Narwhals - I would like to see the damage on it's main cannon increased slightly as it currently doesn't do noticeable damage, especially if it will remain the sole weapon for ground attack. I believe a doubling of rate of fire would be appropriate. Also its missiles need a rework now that battleship has fully functional flak (the change to spinner missiles was supposed to be temporary until battleship worked). I would suggest something like stinger missiles or mobile AA tower.

4. Leviathans - I believe that leviathans are still too easy to build. They were supposed to be very limited but lately I have seen more of them than destroyers. I would suggest a cost increase to 4500 or 5000. (I also have an idea on how to possibly fix the energy system.) In order to compensate for that it's health should be increased to 10000 and I believe that its flak is a bit too weak currently so an increase of damage (flak) by 25% would also benefit it.

5. I have realised that Pelters on water indeed do work in vanilla PA. Since they (in RCBM) do engage enemy sea structures that are too close I believe that the problem might be in target acquisition and/or solving of firing solution. We might need to play with the numbers in order to make it work.
  12. archmagecarn

archmagecarn Active Member

Wow, PA where Vanguards are underpowered? Whatever madness have you wrought, I like it.
    gtf50, squishypon3 and cwarner7264 like this.
  13. zweistein000

Moving walls with machine guns.
  14. nanolathe

They perform poorly against most threats in terms of what they are able to kill... but in terms of damage soak they are second to none.

But perhaps it's not enough. Probably just a tweak to their cost will be enough to bring them back up to par... maybe an increase in their shots-per-second to make them better against massed Boom bots.
    zweistein000 likes this.
  15. epicblaster117

epicblaster117 Active Member

For the fighter, is there any way to give it two weapons? Like, the lasers for ground and missles for air?
  16. zweistein000

This is something that was done internally and was later decided that it is not something we want to do. Mostly because it feels inconsistent as it gives fighter a very different behaviour when engaging air targets and it makes it too much like T2 fighter.
    squishypon3 likes this.
  17. KNight

Just some testing some color placement on the Fusillade;

[​IMG]

Not sure how soon we'll get to see it in-game but hopefully it won't be too long of a wait!

Mike
  18. emraldis

emraldis Post Master General

Looking good, though because of your color choices, it looks like the primary color is the secondary. Either that, or that's what you did.
  19. KNight

Maybe, I haven't really payed any attention to what the color combos are anymore.

Mike
  20. emraldis

emraldis Post Master General

Uber likes doing blue primary orange secondary for their demos. Is that what you're doing here?