[WIP][Server] Orbital Warfare Overhaul

Discussion in 'Work-In-Progress Mods' started by emraldis, August 13, 2014.

1. Nicb1

Nicb1 Post Master General

Glad you like it. At this point we have no set release date, as we don't know ourselves when it'll be done.

The latest update just added pte compatibility, fixed a few bugs and added a new texture for the excalibur(which might I say awesome. Great job mgmetal13.)
    alphatrion likes this.
  2. alphatrion

alphatrion New Member

oh sick I wasn't even paying attention when I booted it up also I didn't notice if you say my little rant on page 15.
  3. Nicb1

Ah just saw it now. We are definitely interested in the idea of doing an orbital multi unit transport(we've been wanting to do it for a while). Problem is that the current method to allow this is a bit hacky, so I can't really tell you how soon it'll happen. It will eventually happen though.

EDIT:
    I'm not entirely sure about a fighter carrier yet though. So can't really say much about that.
    Last edited: December 16, 2014
  4. DeathByDenim

DeathByDenim Post Master General

I know this is not what you are requesting, but regarding the Astreauses, you can select them all, click load and do an area command on the units you want to pick up (click mouse and drag to create a circle).
  5. emraldis

emraldis Post Master General

We've already implemented it, you can download it on PAMM. Uber isn't going to implement it into vanilla ever, but that's why we can make mods in the first place. A multi-unit carrier has been much requested all around for this mod and in vanilla as well, but will be difficult to use due to UI issues and engine issues uber needs to fix first. So although it is possible, we probably won't implement something like that anytime soon.
  6. radongog

radongog Well-Known Member

Has this already been update to the most recent stable build yet?
  7. Nicb1

It was updated for the build when it was in PTE. So since nothing much has changed since then (Other than bugfixes), the mod should run without any issues.
  8. radongog

radongog Well-Known Member

Thanks!
  9. popededi

popededi Well-Known Member

I still utterly love this mod.

Have you guys considered the concept of using halleys to change planetary orbits, and limiting unit cannons and nukes to fire between planets and their moons, to spice things up a bit?
  10. emraldis

It's a definite possibility.
  11. MasterKane

MasterKane Member

I'd like to propose Zero-K mechanics - shields are able to transfer some amount of charge per unit of time to other shields in vicinity that have less shield value, and regeneration is implemented as a steady process: shield recharges faster on the fly and don't turns off to regain charge like in SupCom - if hit damage is more than shield value, it's just passing through, otherwise is blocked and subtracted from shield value. That way shields on a base or defensive line are acting as one huge and powewrfull shell, and if the entire shell discharges during attack or bombardment, the protected objects are done for. While shields provide very good protection from arty and decent defensive line support that way, they allow no more magic overlapping rescues that seem to be the most hated thing about SupCom shields due to poor predictability of DPS required to overcome it. Moreover, overall concept of ZK shields is much closer to one of a base-protecting forcefield.
    Last edited: December 24, 2014
  12. emraldis

Unfortunately not possible within the engine currently.
  13. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

And I wouldn't have it any other way. :D
  14. exodusesports

exodusesports Well-Known Member

15. Tomasina

Tomasina Member

Since implementing the Orbital Warfare Mod in the latest build, I am getting a strange effect in that the Halley's built are not always identified by the engine. In order to get three recognized Halley's on a moon, I had to cover the moon in Halleys... it was odd. I have tested it without all Mods and it works as expected, but as soon as I enable the Orbital Warfare mods, the problem returns. Is this a known issue?
  16. Tomasina

Tomasina Member

Nevermind... I just read your article, and noticed that mod requires 4 Halley's to fill each slot.

I have to say, as much as I love this mod, this is not a feature that adds much value. If I really want more Halley's required, I can just modify the map and add the additional required Halley's. As it is, it is a major struggle to build the additional Halley's on small moons.

Why not just make the Halley's four times as expensive... thus maintaining your balance, while not running into space issues?

Is there a way for us to disable this feature for our LAN games? It just causes a lot of problems on most maps.

Thanks, as always.
  17. emraldis

Jes sayin'
  18. emraldis

We reduced the cost for halleys, so it has mostly the same balance, just a bit less HP. You can also change your maps to require less halleys, so a small moon would only requre 4 halleys rather than 10...
  19. Tomasina

Tomasina Member

Is there a file that we can edit to simply remove this single feature (for LAN games obviously). We love this mod and use it frequently, but this feature is causing more problems than it is solving for us.

I agree that we can edit the map, but this would require us to maintain two versions of each map (one for the mod, and one without) and we cannot edit official maps, which is where we first ran into the spacing issue.

Thanks,

Tom
  20. emraldis

Yeah, just go into the mod files: C:\users\yourusernamehere\AppData\Local\Uber Entertainment\Planetary Annihilation\server_mods\Orbital_warfare_overhaul_release\pa\units\orbital\halley

then just open the "halley .json" file and change the "orbital_thruster" "power" setting to 1.