[WIP][Server] Imperial Legion (Faction)

Discussion in 'Work-In-Progress Mods' started by Nicb1, June 28, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stuart98

stuart98 Post Master General

Because TA explosions have particle FX along with bits of the model flying away from the explosion, whereas PA explosions only have the bits of the model flying away without any accompanying particle FX.
  2. doud

doud Well-Known Member

Would it be technically possible to add particule FX for explosions ?
  3. stuart98

Doubtful, the bits of the model flying away appear to go in random directions and I don't think that there's any way to attach a .pfx to them.
  4. zx0

zx0 Well-Known Member

Well, you can create effects with bits of model flying away. Of course you need to separate those bits manually first.
    stuart98, doud, Nicb1 and 1 other person like this.
  5. killerkiwijuice

killerkiwijuice Post Master General

It's definitely possible to make an explosion with wreckage parts flying off, but it would be extremely tedious and require a separate effect file for every single unit. In fact the new asteroid explosion in the latest PTE uses something extremely similar to what would be needed for every unit, but planets are spheres so it's easy to mimic the shape of those.

So it would be easier to use some default wreckage meshes for effects, so it seems like the wreckage is unique but in reality it's just arbitrary mesh particles.
    stuart98 and doud like this.
  6. proeleert

proeleert Post Master General

Hey @dom314 where is the more xplosion mod :)
    doud, Nicb1, stuart98 and 1 other person like this.
  7. Nicb1

Nicb1 Post Master General

As usual this is very early WIP/Dev phase stuff but thought I'd post some of the icons I've completed today.
    [​IMG]
    I still have to refine them and all that.
    As of the time that this screenshot was taken the Legion factory is finished but has not yet been implemented.
  8. stuart98

The angle looks wrong. They look kinda distorted. Maybe too close up?
  9. zx0

zx0 Well-Known Member

Because perspective instead of orthographic. Maybe intentional?
    stuart98, Quitch, Crembels and 2 others like this.
  10. killerkiwijuice

god that's so true and i didn't notice until you said something. Although perspective doesn't look bad here imo. Orthographic is still good but hey, just another way to differentiate from vanilla I guess.
  11. dom314

dom314 Post Master General

I prefer the new icons I think, it does clash a bit with the ui in terms of color though. Perhaps down the line you could actually change the UI css to match? :p
  12. Nicb1

Hence "WIP/Dev phase".
    This is my first time trying something like this and the angel may be slightly different. (Also models don't have an outline at the moment).
    By distorted im not sure what you mean exactly. Unless you're referring to the angle they are taken at? In that case I am experimenting with the layout a bit.

Also for those of you who are interested, I created these icons by rendering the models in maya using the mental ray renderer, I then proceeded to import the render into photoshop add the icons and change the overall colour of the icon.

So I have no idea if my process is entirely different from Ubers way of doing it. (I'm guessing that they did it differently).

Anyway I'm going to run with this kind of layout for now, and will change it if people show that they are not fans of this type of icon.

EDIT:
    Oh and dom, I would definitely be interested in changing the UI colour if it is possible to do according to what commander a player picks.
    dom314 likes this.
  13. stuart98

The icons also look a bit bright BTW.

ZX0 seems to have icons that look pretty close to vanilla, maybe ask him about it?

Distortion definitely comes from angle and because you're using perspective. It may be intentional, but it clashes too much with vanilla icons for my taste.

I think it would fit your faction to have red colored icons BTW. Maybe even change the UI color to red?
  14. Nicb1

Ok so trying to redo the icons with the assistance of @Crembels this time.
    Below is the orange and red variations of the icons and a poll. Asking that people select which they prefer in the poll and we'll use the scheme with the most votes.
    Image:
    [​IMG]
    Poll:
    http://strawpoll.me/5030691
  15. zx0

zx0 Well-Known Member

I think those are too bright. Try adjusting scene lights.
    stuart98 likes this.
  16. Nicb1

yeah rendering is a pain. Tough to get good lighting going, it's either to bright or not bright enough.

Also would you mind messaging me about the process you go through to create and icon? Do you do a similar thing to me?
  17. zx0

zx0 Well-Known Member

18. probodobodyne

probodobodyne Active Member

If I may, I have a suggestion:

1. Anti-Nuke Cannon: Well, I always thought it was kind of odd to do this job with missiles when they have such potent lasers. Even at this day and age we're very close to lasers that can instantly zap said missiles, and I'm a bit surprised it took me so long to be perplexed by why missiles are still the go-to anti-missile countermeasuıre when you have a weapon that travels at the speed of light or close to it. With that in mind, the faction is a brute force faction and I always thought lasers were the weapon for mobility oriented and balanced factions (don't ask why, can't really say anything meaningful), so I suggest a mass driver. This would be a cannon, like the unit cannon, that rotates slowly (not instant response like the anti-nuke) to target nuclear missiles. It would fire projectiles with speeds close to the speed of light (that's your cue to make a kickass effect for it piercing the air ^^) and it would be a revolver cannon like the unit cannon, with slower fire rate than the anti-nuke launcher. To compensate for its imperfect reaction and slower fire rate, it could have any combination of:

1. Higher maximum ammunition
    2. Longer range
    3. Cheaper ammunition
    4. Faster building ammunition
    5. Manually-targeted anti-orbital fire within the planet
    killerkiwijuice and Nicb1 like this.
  19. killerkiwijuice

This is a good idea. About the ammo, I think a good idea would be for the shots to use a lot of energy, and have a static reload time like the holkins.
    stuart98 likes this.
  20. probodobodyne

probodobodyne Active Member

Well, at late game with a decent infrastructure, energy is all but infinite. I don't think the build-your-ammo-and-build-faster-with-fabbers mechanic should change for an anti-nuke weapon.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.