[WIP][Server] Imperial Legion (Faction)

Discussion in 'Work-In-Progress Mods' started by Nicb1, June 28, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ksgrip

Ksgrip Active Member

Not sure if you are trying to be sarcastic towards me for unknown reason.

I though the entire point of the thread is giving feedback?
  2. Nicb1

Nicb1 Post Master General

No I don't believe he's being sarcastic there. He updated the icon just after you mentioned that they looked similar.

He's asking for feedback on the new one and just told you to tell the streamers to update (if you watch any particular one) if the icon is still the same.
    cdrkf, Ksgrip and cptconundrum like this.
  3. stuart98

stuart98 Post Master General

edit: nvm
    elodea and xankar like this.
  4. graushwein

graushwein Member

T2 bots seem a bit better than vehicles.

The new Necromancer attack radius is perfect! Such a powerful double-edged sword. If you can protect it the fight will be skewed in your favor. But if they can target it down, they take out all your units with the Necromancer's death explosion. If you don't have enough anti-air or your opponent goes after it with artillery, you just destroyed your army.

Scorpion turret speed is way too low now that it does AoE and (I think) is meant to combat T1 spam.

Monstrosity, needs a defined role. The tiny-damage gun on top is just useless. Maybe make it a high HP combat fabber with tesla cannon? Or maybe make it a raging bull (charges like the Turtle) doing lots of damage?

I think I finally put my finger on why the models are so hard to see. All the edges are gray. Gray works for black/red color scheme, but creates problems with other colors.

And all the unit pictures in the build bar do not have enough contrast. The background, unit edges, unit surfaces are all too similarly colored.

(I don't know whether or where I should post feedback like this. And don't worry, your secret is safe with me.)
    Last edited: March 4, 2016
    Quitch likes this.
  5. Ksgrip

Ksgrip Active Member

Yell isn't exactlly my definition of being nice but i just missinterpreted.
    I said what i saw and just that
  6. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

Lost in translation? I know what Stuart means... Not literally yell, it's just the only people streaming legion currently are specially invited testers, so they should know to keep the mod up to date.... Then finding out they are broadcasting an out of date build with issues you've just fixed...

To translate 'politely (but strongly) remind said steamer to update the mod' :p
    stuart98, Alpha2546, Ksgrip and 3 others like this.
  7. elodea

elodea Post Master General

Thanks for the feedback :)

This issue was considered early on in playtesting and the solution implemented was roughly similar to the one you propose - faster move speed and increased forward firing angle.
    stuart98 and Nicb1 like this.
  8. elodea

Is there any particular unit you feel is making t2 bots more powerful than t2 vehicles?
  9. Ksgrip

Ksgrip Active Member

Yep:p
    Thanks, it did really mess up
  10. graushwein

graushwein Member

Well, I was thinking about that a few minutes ago and thought about changing my post, but I had to do some things around the house. (Bots are definitely more fun.) Here is my explanation for why I said it.

It is mostly because the Scorpion's slow turret speed. In Vanilla, the Leveller is the backbone of the T2 meta. Compared to all other T2 it is a steal for the cost (DPS/Range/HP) and is only really countered by air or dox/boombot spam, all of which the vehicle tree can counter with T1 (Flametank/AA). The Scorpion, as it is currently, isn't doing the damage (turret speed) because things die before it can target/fire.

The other T2 vehicles are very good, but I think the tesla unit doesn't deal with unit spam as much as it should for the cost and low HP it has. That being said, the only alternative HP shield available at the T2 vehicle level is the Earthshaker. Now don't get me wrong, the Earthshaker is incredible, but its long build time is a big risk in the early T2 stage because you risk being overwhelmed. (The first few T2 units, before opposing ones, to get on the battlefield heavily increase the chance of winning, so they need to be quick and well chosen.) Another important thing that you want for your first few T2 units is staying power (HP), and almost all other T2 units have HP under 1,000. You don't want to lose your advantage because they simply manually target-down your new T2 units. Some tweaks to the Scorpion would fix this IMHO.

IL T1 seems pretty solid (on land) for bots and vehicles. What tips it into the bot's favor, IMO, is the speed combined with access to artillery, AA, and a meat-shield (all that Monstrosity is good for).

The lancers are amazing for mex raiding in early-mid and mid-game.
    elodea likes this.
  11. cdrkf

@elodea, @nicb1 I added a comment into Github for an older issue last night on naval although it may not have been noticed...

After playing a good naval game in a 2 v 2 on a 60 / 40 land : naval map I've run into the issue that legion has no naval to land unit. I think there should be something as otherwise a naval based player in legion is restricted to air only vs a land player.

I'd suggest looking at a light T1 crossover unit to differentiate from classic?

Edit: Also legion only has one unit type that can cross water (amphib tank), do you guys think that the peacekeapers should be amphib (with no under water weapon) to match dox?
  12. Nicb1

Completely random, got to love it when this happens during playtests. (a game with andreas, I and quitch.)
    Orange is me and Purple is Andreas. Spawned in the exact same spot.
    (Screen by me)
    [​IMG]
    (Screen from Andreas)
    I swear the lathes here make me think of dbz with how they are colliding.
    [​IMG]

EDIT:
    (Another shot by Andreas)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    tunsel11, MrTBSC and andreasgg like this.
  13. Ksgrip

Ksgrip Active Member

14. elodea

@cdrkf

The guys are making a t2 hover ship :). We are full on the t1 unit roster already, and vanilla also doesn't have a hover ship in t1. We don't see a problem with this in vanilla vs vanilla so i think the t2 hover will be enough
    Ksgrip and cdrkf like this.
  15. cdrkf

Ah I didn't know a t2 hover was in the works. I only suggested a t1 hover as a differentiating factor vs vanilla although I'd be fine with a t2 unit. Any comments on the proposed specs?
  16. Nicb1

Exact stat wise I'm not 100% sure what the plan is yet, but model wise it will be a railgun based hover ship. Most details pertaining to it are still up for debate.
    cdrkf likes this.
  17. elodea

18. Ksgrip

Ksgrip Active Member

Lol.
  19. graushwein

graushwein Member

I take back my monstrosity comment, Levelers destroy it too quickly.

6 Scorpion vs 8 Leveler = 4 Levelers left (exact equal cost)
    5 Scorpion vs 88 Dox = 33 Dox left
    [​IMG] ( https://www.dropbox.com/s/gfey4xkz6ndqmkx/Scorpion vs Dox.gif?dl=0 )

21 PK + 10 Lancer vs 5 Leveler = 3 Levelers left
    20 Lancer vs 5 Leveler = 4 Levelers left
    30 Purgers vs 5 Levelers = 3 Levelers left
    20 Purgers + 13 PK = 3 Levelers left
    elodea likes this.
  20. graushwein

graushwein Member

(For some reason I thought Earthshakers were like 2x more expensive.)
    5 Scorpion vs 88 Boom = 30 Boom left (Levelers beat Purgers above)
    3 Earthshakers vs 9 Levelers = 1.2 Earthshakers left
    5 Earthshakers vs 6 Vanguard = 3 Earthshakers left

Okay, I take it back. IL should go T2 vehicles and use the Earthshaker as their backbone.
    The Necromancer is the only other unit that Legion have that can beat Levelers, but only if micro'd, and if one Necromancer dies the IL lose the rest of their army.

EDIT: Havocs perform about equal to Earthshakers.
    Last edited: March 5, 2016
    elodea likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.