[WIP][Server] Imperial Legion (Faction)

Discussion in 'Work-In-Progress Mods' started by Nicb1, June 28, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Quitch

Quitch Post Master General

Oops, foolishly left out the THIS IS A WORK IN PROGRESS disclaimer.
    stuart98, martianhunter and cdrkf like this.
  2. Ksgrip

Ksgrip Active Member

EDIT
    Last edited: February 25, 2016
    martianhunter likes this.
  3. Quitch

I wasn't inten...

stuart98 and Nicb1 like this.
  4. Ksgrip

Ksgrip Active Member

As long as it is not intentional is perfect for me:)) I will eliminate the response. Don´t want this to be something to argue about.

Edit: I´m not english and it´s been a long time since my english got some work, so expect a lot of grammar mistakes and miss spells.

Just as a note I tend to write things in the PC without ever wondering if I wrote it right before sending it:p
    Nicb1 and Quitch like this.
  5. Quitch

Shield size is something that's under review, it might get changed, or the shield could be dropped. There's a big balancing exercise happening at the moment.
  6. Ksgrip

Ksgrip Active Member

Can I suggest something?

@KillerKiwiJuice Rocketeeth need to spìt fire from it´s mouth. It doesn´t need an uber cannon, it needs FIRE¡¡¡
  7. Nicb1

Nicb1 Post Master General

In regards to shields they may end up being dropped if this last plan doesnt work. Which is to make it work like the bomb bouncer experimental from supreme commander 2. So it would act as an umbrella almost where any arcing shots that hit from above are blocked to some extent but any direct fire weapons have no issues getting through. But yeah here's hoping the coding geniuses here are able to work it out.
    xankar and Ksgrip like this.
  8. Ksgrip

Ksgrip Active Member

You know, if it doesn't work you could always sustitude it with an anti tac missile turret
    Nicb1 likes this.
  9. MrTBSC

MrTBSC Post Master General

flameturret reflects what my .... .... ..... ...
  10. elodea

elodea Post Master General

One thing i really like about this mod is how many more different units you can use. And while i was always thinking of the gameplay implications of that, I didn't fully realise how amazingly better it looks aesthetically too with 4-5+ different units.

I think it was @burntcustard who was the first to make flamethrower effects that looked like this a year ago? Props to him for coming up with such a nice visual idea.

*Oh, and just an update for all the people worrying about the shields. We found a solution to the anti-entity weapon not working properly and so far it looks like it will work pretty good in the intended role. There are some problems with it targeting dox shots that have missed their target and are flying away in the sky (wasted interception), but nothing yet that i think would spell absolute doom for it.

The initial model I want to try is a large 'shield capacity' but slow and expensive recharge. Hopefully expensive enough to encourage you to build black hole energy generators and risk them blowing up in your face.

Will be interesting balancing it and seeing what people were voicing concerns about when talking about shields in PA (if they are right). I never played sup comm so i wouldn't know.
    Last edited: February 26, 2016
  11. optimi

optimi Well-Known Member

Some thoughts on the lore of this faction:
    The OP states that it was another series of Commanders built, I'd assume around the same time as the Vanilla faction? Fitting into the "timeline" of the main game and with the factions in the current Galactic War, it could be interesting to assume that the conflict in the Galactic War of PA/PA Titans was a civil war of sorts between the first series of Commander and that this "expansion" lore-wise depicts the emergence of the second series who may have gone into retreat to plan a future attack or have themselves just woken up from hibernation. The Vanilla factions at this point have unified to face the new foe who are beginning their invasion of the galaxy. I know the lore of this game has never been a focus but it'd be interesting to hear if anyone has any ideas.

Loving the progress guys, looking forward to the release as always.
    Nicb1 likes this.
  12. Nicb1

Nicb1 Post Master General

That's actually surprisingly close to the lore we have set down. Mayaswell share a bit since I don't know how else we would present it.

The below is WIP. Was talking to @Crembels and he pointed out that I mixed up the inclusion of vanilla lore. How coms were developed to fight the Xiphid Hegemony, then rebelled after humans wanted to reporpose them as pure labor machines. So the first paragraph will be receiving a rewrite but still remain very similar in premise.
    In the past before the deactivation of all the commander units, the progenitors (aka humanity) had developed the commanders for labor and a mechanism to carry out war against their enemies on a massive scale. At first these commanders were not truly sentient, but they developed sentience over time. With this development humanities fear of a machine apocalypse had driven them to war against the commanders with the intention of complete extermination. While humanity had the technology to stand against the commanders at that point in time a humans tactical capacity could never match that of a fully sentient ai's. The war dragged on for a long long time over many systems, the end result being the commanders pushing back humanity. Desperation after some time led humanity back to the phrase "fight fire with fire". A version 2 (Imperial) line of Commanders were produced to fight back the original line. Whilst these commanders had been fiercly loyal to the progenitors they did not have access to the same amount of resources as the original line had accrued over the years of fighting. Ultimately the version 2 (Imperial) commander project was deemed a failure and in a desperate last stand the progenitors deployed a super weapon which was utilised to great effect in deactivating all commanders. Whilst this was successful it is not known what happened to the progenitors in the time after that.

Upon the re-activation of the commanders a civil war ensued. Whilst they may have been united in the past, memory corruption (I believe this memory corruption is a part of the Uber lore) due to the super weapon led the the conflict portrayed in PA/PA:T. The Imperial commanders woke shortly after with much of their memory still intact due to them being built differently from the first line of commanders. This time the now known as Imperial Legion were able to sufficiently build up, due to the original commanders being stuck in an internal/civil war and in turn being too distracted. PA:L begins with the beginning of the Imperial Legions involvement in the war again. Having had the time to build up, the Imperial line had become a sufficient threat which forced an alliance/truce between the line 1 commanders, referred to as the MLA(Machine Liberation Army). Not all the commanders are united but many have been pushed into that alliance. As of now the Imperial line coms or IL(Imperial Legion) believe humanity to have been exterminated. All they exist for now is to remove the enemies of the Progenitors, the traitors and heretics who had dared defy their creators.

I wrote all the lore for the legion quite a while ago, but lost it somewhere in the depths of my PC. Wrote the above again today.
  13. optimi

optimi Well-Known Member

Wow, I didn't realise you'd put so much work into the lore! You just made me love your mod even more :p
    Furballman, cdrkf, elodea and 2 others like this.
  14. Quitch

15. optimi

optimi Well-Known Member

Looking very cool :p
    tunsel11 and cdrkf like this.
  16. Quitch

Nicb1 and stuart98 like this.
  17. Quitch

And if you missed the AI's epic air deathball surprise I feel bad for you.
    Nicb1 and cdrkf like this.
  18. Quitch

Never forget the day Qzipco got backdoored so hard...
    Nicb1 and optimi like this.
  19. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

I gotta say that AI battle was epic... Just when we thought he'd won with a 5 titan push the air death ball of doom appears and demolished him :p
    Nicb1 likes this.
  20. Quitch

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.