[WIP][Server] Imperial Legion (Faction)

Discussion in 'Work-In-Progress Mods' started by Nicb1, June 28, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

Avengers beat one Omega sure- once you get to about 3 though, they Omegas can essentially kill as many avengers as you can throw at them. Once you have more than one Omega the *only* counter is that rail gun thing (and as it's pointless for anything else no one ever has them) :p
  2. xankar

xankar Post Master General

Better does not mean useless.
  3. Nicb1

Nicb1 Post Master General

Ok so, with this list I have to completely disagree. Whilst some units may be more niche I don't believe most of those to be really "useless".
    Grenadiers- People don't use them often but if you know how to manage them properly or use them in certain situations they are defintiely decent.

Icarus- Ok have to agree I find this unit to be near useless. The only time I used them is when I spammed them on an asteroid to produce a lot of energy on the cheap.

Cfab- Definitely not useless, mines and reclaim are a big deal. I find that people don't make use of them enough if anything.

Advanced Cfab- Not used often but the speed at which they can repair and get a tele up is nuts. instead of launching T2 fabs from a unit cannon launch one or two of these and you can easily and quickly setup a teleporter with turrets on another planet in seconds.

Lobs- Whilst I do not use these often I've seen other people put these to great effect. I really don't make use of them myself though too often so can't comment on it too much. Other than the fact that I've seen some of the better team burning players making really good use of them in quite a few situations.

Gil-E's - Whilst not useful like it was in the past, its ability to shoot down missiles and harass air can be invaluable sometimes. The missile part definitely.

Slammers - 100% disagree here. Slammers outrange most tanks and they shred armies of T1's in lower numbers. Heck you can take on anything else from T2 with them as long as you manage them to skirt around the outside of the enemy armies range.

Vanguards - Have you seen how much these can tank? If they get into an enemy army or base say goodbye.

Sputnik - I say this unit is really useful. It's cheap to make, fast, has proper vision on ground. Basically is great for scouting for a landing zone on another planet. Especially when you cant afford the higher tier radar or want something faster than the radar for a quick scout.

Omega - U wot M8? This unit in a small group of 3 can wreck large amounts of avengers and can also take down ground in the process. Whilst not as good as a sxx it can also tank a hell of a lot more than the sxx. A bluehawk one shots an sxx. This unit can take quite a few shots and is multirole.

Hornet - They finally fixed the thing where it would fly into enemy units. Now wonderful for harassing enemy bases especially ones full of flak. The enemy may not have an airforce but may have a well defended base. The only way to stop these is to either out air you or to make use of Gil-E's which almost everyone seems to forget about.

Wyrm- If the enemy doesn't have a **** tonne of air then these guys can wreck a base even if full of flak. Given though they are a tad slow to build so you don't see them too often.

Catapault - Can target ground, orbital and shoot unit cannon pods. If anything if you have the eco and need to defend a planet then these are the perfect bet as they can wreck strong orbital (although not as rapid fire as the umbrella) whilst also being able to shoot down any teles they may try to quickly deploy on your planet. Also have I not mentioned the damage that these deal, especially against orbital. Whilst slow to hit they will wreck once they do.

This may not be entirely comprehensive, but some of the other guys here have posted quite a few things as well that I agree with.
  4. Ksgrip

Ksgrip Active Member

It wont be long for stuart to rebalace your mod :p
    cptconundrum, stuart98 and Crembels like this.
  5. Nicb1

Just letting everyone here know that I've finally gotten around to setting up a moddb page.
    http://www.moddb.com/mods/legion-expansion

Waiting for the first article to be authorised. You probably won't see much in the first article though so don't get excited over some secret reveal or something.

EDIT:
    Just a quick note. We are changing our main legion colour to be red primary and black secondary as it looks a bit more interesting and matches the red icons we have going.
    Last edited: January 11, 2016
  6. KnavishPlum

KnavishPlum Active Member

What a coincidence! That is the color scheme I use in PA, that or Red and Yellow...
  7. Ksgrip

Ksgrip Active Member

So i just though, why don´ you instead of making a hover ship, give it legs and make it amphibious like the salem class for supcom? It would add variety to the mix
  8. killerkiwijuice

killerkiwijuice Post Master General

Because I really hate animating things
    stuart98 and Nicb1 like this.
  9. Nicb1

Don't blame you frankly. Have done animations myself before for a quad legged bot and it was a pain.

On a side note in PA I don't think it would be possibly to easily make the legs fold in when it enters the water either so yeah, either way we won't be doing this. Although I do like the idea, just tough to execute.
    stuart98 likes this.
  10. killerkiwijuice

I've been trying out textures in Photoshop and I think I've finally nailed it. I think it's the closest I can get to uber's insane textures.

Here's the final advanced bot factory model!

[​IMG]
    I might add more details later :>
    Furballman, ljfed, Nicb1 and 8 others like this.
  11. killerkiwijuice

I feel like going on a screenshot frenzy so here's some more pretty pictures of the new overhauled "snowy edge" textures:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] \
    PS. only a few units left to make, then beta tiem
    lordathon, doud, FSN1977 and 8 others like this.
  12. optimi

optimi Well-Known Member

Those textures look so much like Uber's :eek:
    stuart98 and killerkiwijuice like this.
  13. martianhunter

martianhunter New Member

*Hype Intensifies*
    stuart98 likes this.
  14. Alpha2546

Alpha2546 Post Master General

Yeah he got gud. Amazing stuff
    stuart98 likes this.
  15. Ksgrip

Ksgrip Active Member

Yeahh he and zxo managed to nail textures. This and modx are examples of great work. Really impressed
    stuart98 likes this.
  16. Ksgrip

Ksgrip Active Member

Kiwi is orbital ( you know which units ) a place holder? or new units are alomg the way. I personally love them and prefer them to stay in:p
    Last edited: January 15, 2016
    stuart98 likes this.
  17. stuart98

stuart98 Post Master General

Every screen I see makes me like this mod even more. That bot factory is awesome and the direction with all of the new units has not been something to leave me disappointed. I'll be honest here, when you guys first started this mod I had low expectations for what it would add to the game and saw it as little more than a reskin of vanilla (and the early units like the sniper tank did little to prove me wrong). But since then, with the variety of new things that take the game a different direction than vanilla I'm being left more and more excited for what you guys do. All I can say is that when this comes out if @proeleert and co aren't using this mod for all of their PA tourneys and other events then they are very truly nuts.

Keep up the good work!

PS: Will you be retexturing the Grey Wizard?

PPS: What's the turtle bot? Is that unit cancelled?
    Nicb1 and killerkiwijuice like this.
  18. killerkiwijuice

Thanks Stuart.

Why would I retexture the grey wizard?

And the turtle bot is supposed to be the t2 boom bot but i haven't been able to make a good animation for it. It's honestly bordering on un-animatable anyway. So we'll see what happens to that soon.
  19. stuart98

stuart98 Post Master General

You'd be retexturing it because you're retexturing everything else with awesome new textures.
  20. killerkiwijuice

I would definitely do it if I had the photoship files. Zxo made that texture so I can't add the quick photoshop effects to make it glow.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.