[WIP] Queue By Default

Discussion in 'Mod Discussions' started by wondible, April 5, 2014.

1. wondible

wondible Post Master General

Ever feel like you're always holding down the shift key? This mod make queuing orders the default; hold shift to interrupt the order queue.

Still not sure how I feel about this - it's going to take some relearning to end the queue when finished adding orders (or give accidental orders later). As far as I can tell, toggling the queue path is implemented directly in the engine and can't be controlled. The implementation is also ugly because the options are:
    1. Shadow live_game.js and change four characters
    2. Attempt some fancy event handler resets and still duplicate a big chunk from live game's mouse handler, if it would even work outside it's closure.
    I'm currently shadowing live_game, so the mod will break things for most any non-trivial update.

- https://github.com/JustinLove/queue_by_default
    LavaSnake likes this.
  2. cptconundrum

cptconundrum Post Master General

It's an interesting idea, but I think new players won't be able to understand it and people like me that have played TA and SupCom just can't break a lifetime of habit. There may be a sweet spot in the middle that would like this mod, though. I really hope it works for those people; I'm afraid I just can't be re-trained.
  3. wondible

wondible Post Master General

Can't argue with any of it - if this even moves forward with will always be a niche mod. The game kind of has to be how it is for new players, and I've got a lot less muscle memory than the better players.
    cptconundrum likes this.