[WIP] Multiplayer Galactic War Campaign

Discussion in 'Work-In-Progress Mods' started by johnjoemcbob, May 12, 2016.

1. johnjoemcbob

johnjoemcbob Member

Happy New Year!

Yeah unfortunately I haven't worked any more on this since getting a job, you are welcome to do what you want with the code though; everything you need should be on the github. :)
  2. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

Much appreciated. I can't promise I even can, but for personal use, I am very curious for a Coop Galactic War, and your code should give insight on how to tell the game to inject multiple players into a Galactic War match. I merely need to scrap the meta-game versus mechanic and use vanilla, and rewire the game setup to put players together rather than apart. Maybe add "shared armies" in there somewhere.

If someone is more sure than I about this, feel free to step up. Again, thanks for what you've already done,
    johnjoe, and Happy New Year!

EDIT: I read through this all again, and @cola_colin said earlier, that the ideal way would be through Coherent. Well, I am just as bad with both, so I'll look into this mod's calls on how to establish a game, but I might like to instead, use native GalacticWarVanilla, and modify it from there, to open a pre-game lobby with locked options except for "player slots" for a player's friend/friends to join. So I guess the plan then, is:

Step 1: [Host] starts GalacticWar like they always normally would, nothing new is done at this step. They play the meta-starmap, collect tech-cards, until they engage an enemy.

Step 2: Modify "start fight" click, to instead load a pregame lobby with all necessary conditions.

Step 3:
    Lock out options for map and AI commanders and teams. Only player-open options, are ones to modify their team slots, lock/password/public the match, and spectator slots.

Step 4: As a pregame lobby, a [friend] should be able to join this open slot the [host] creates. Both ready up and start.

Step 5: Hopefully, single-fight loads match with all parameters it's supposed to.

Step 6: Hopefully upon single-fight result, [friend] is ejected, [host] returns to meta-starmap. To start next match, [friend] rejoins when [host] engages another enemy and opens lobby for next fight. In-game text-chat or 3rd-party voice chat, can be used to communicate what tech cards the team has, how many enemies, or what password the host will use next match so the same person can reconnect.
    Last edited: December 31, 2016
  3. gmase

gmase Well-Known Member

@thetrophysystem That's how I'm doing my mod (https://forums.uberent.com/threads/wip-canis-major-dwarf-metagame.72295/) modifying GalacticWarVanilla. I'll publish the code soon and maybe we can help each other :)
    Cheers!
    thetrophysystem likes this.
  4. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

I'll take anything, so long as I can play coop metagame.