[WIP]Imba Walls

Discussion in 'Mod Discussions' started by cola_colin, January 20, 2014.

1. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

I think you should get the state of shift from the event (is it in there?) and use that instead of always doing queue = true.
    Apart from that the code looks good to me.
    Does all defense turrets include even aa turrets? I dont think it reasonable for them.

EDIT:
    A drawback of this is that it the play has to remember that all defense turrets do the imba wall. It requires the player to hold the camera in place after all. So maybe an extra modifier (like "press alt + click", should be easy to add into your current code) would be an idea to make it clearer to the user what he is doing. Otherwise people who use the mod without reading all info about it first will be freaked out by the weird behavior that they get when they place turrets.
  2. proeleert

proeleert Post Master General

Yes that's for tomorrow :)
  3. proeleert

Yes working fine now you have to press alt to imbawall. Only for single / double / triple laser turrets.
    Going to release in a bit.
  4. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

It would be a hassle, but I can think of other templates useful.

Wall around something = good template

Distant firebases too (artillery creep template basically)

Spread out powergen builds, so you don't use the current ones and get nuked out of power.

templates that are "one sided" walls thing, or better yet, 3 sided walls, because you could modular them beside existing imba wall turrets (sharing the one side of walls between the two). This could actually be implemented as a operation of the classic imba wall, where if you build a turret up against the side walls of another imba wall turret, it knows not to try to build the 3 overlapping walls.

ONE LAST NOTE: isn't this bastardizing the entire purpose behind gentlemen's rules? I guess I haven't seen anyone use or follow or mention those in a while, so whatever.
  5. proeleert

I'm not going to to full templating in hotbuild2, that's for someone else you can already take the start out from hotbuild2 if someone want's to have a go at it.
  6. cola_colin

I feel I put demon into this world with those gentlemens rules.
    They were created when we could place mex _everywhere_. They were meant to make the game playable even though it had glaring gameplay and balance issues. By now we are in a phase where Uber starts to do balance patches. I think we should not add any more rules apart from "no exploits" in anymore.
  7. cptconundrum

cptconundrum Post Master General

I think the idea is to push walls to the extreme edge of their capabilities so that we can get a better idea of their actual balance issues. Personally, I think walls would be much less annoying if units didn't target them. Right now everything gets priority, but units still shoot at walls if that is the first thing they run into. It basically guarantees that units with slow turret turn rates will be pointing in the wrong direction when they come into range of a turret. I don't really think the walls themselves are a problem, though.
    totalannihilation likes this.
  8. cola_colin

Walls dont have priority anymore (they had when I put up those gentlemen rules), by now they are only hit because they are usually in the way.
    reptarking and cptconundrum like this.
  9. cptconundrum

Don't units still shoot at them if there is nothing else around?
  10. thetrophysystem

Well no worries really. Just staying though. I still use them myself, walls. I never used them this heavily. However, with this I just might. I think I will get hotbuild2 because of this (didn't before, sorry amigo)
  11. cola_colin

I will probably only get hotbuild2 now myself. My old one still worked for me, but now I am too lazy to add in new features into it. Maybe then I will finally also use the loop on factories. I am so damn used to just queuing 500+ tanks instead.
  12. proeleert

Yeah still getting used to the loop thing myself it's hard to switch :)
    I'll continue to update hotbuild2 as long as possible. Have to do a cleanup real soon :)
  13. cptconundrum

I wish factories defaulted to loop and let us press ctrl or alt to set a queue of one-time builds at the start of the queue. How often do you really want a small number of anything?
  14. thetrophysystem

Meh, if it made it one way or another, it wouldn't be a problem. I don't mind infinite being default, I don't mind one-time being default, possibly even make it an ingame options where one is default and one requires button press.
    cptconundrum likes this.
  15. cola_colin

I guess somebody could write a mod that automatically sets all factories to "loop" whenever they are selected, unless it has been disabled for that factory by the user.
  16. cptconundrum

I thought about it, but that doesn't give us a separate queue for one-time builds.
  17. cola_colin

Well it would basically allow you to have the default on "loop". Once the player changes the setting you could ignore that factory in the future.
  18. stormingkiwi

stormingkiwi Post Master General

Priority means there isn't anything else around.

On infinite queue - What about your first fac? It's useful to have some combat units on hand, I generally build 1 dox, 2 fabs, 1 dox, 1 fab, 1 dox, all fabs. I only turn infinite build on after the last dox
  19. cola_colin

In FA I always had a mixture of a few things followed by 100+ workers in an endless loop. Took a bit longer to queue up, but I used the idle at the start of the game for that.
  20. cptconundrum

What I mean is I want two separate queues. I want the default to be infinite build, with a key for putting things into the one-time queue. Once nothing is left in the one-time queue, I want it to switch to the loop queue until something else shows up in the one-time queue. I'm not sure how much time it would really save, but it would mean I wouldn't need to babysit my factories quite so much.