[WIP] IgnWarzone

Discussion in 'Work-In-Progress Mods' started by igncom1, November 7, 2014.

1. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

IgnWarzone Mod!

(Earlier version of the mod)

In this mod I am seeking to improve the gameplay of PA by making the scale of the conflict bigger, and thus increasing the fun.
    Features:
    - Naval Redux Mod https://forums.uberent.com/threads/rel-server-navalredux-1-2.60768/
    - Reduced ranges for all land based units
    - Reduced speeds of all land based units
    - Increased HP for most land based units, nerfs for tanky unit hp's
    - Re-purposed SXX laser into a masable anti-surface unit
    - Rebalanced nuke missiles
    - Wreckages (With 5x hp for bots, 2x hp for planes, 8x hp for tanks and a whopping 30x hp for buildings) to give that urban feeling of a long war!

Plans for future:
    - Rebalanced naval redux mod to bring it into my own design paradigm
    - Retooled and improved defences and siege to allow defensive and counter defensive play
    - Re imagined aircraft, possibly to fit a ww1 type of warfare with Zeppelins and shooty types of planes
    - Gas Giant orbital focus to make gas giant play its own distinct orbital play from the support type I am hoping for in normal play
    - New orbital launchers with planetary invasion in mind, launching missiles filled with troops, all on one single package (Need to figure out how to make weapons that spawn units, and then charge for said weapons to make interplanetary transports)
    - And who even knows what else I could do!

Get the current version now, on PAMM, or from right here: https://github.com/Igncom1/IgnWarzone/archive/0.2.zip
    cdrkf likes this.
  2. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

Yea, you definitely need to adjust the numbers on naval to make them massable. The sunfish and seabass are a start, don't get me wrong, because that is the basic starting structure of massable naval is raider boats. You just need to adjust price and healths. Here is a change I have been meaning to make in naval factory, making the now amphibious combat fabber buildable in the naval factory instead of it's own naval combat fabricator. Just a suggestion.

Also, note that repair will be faster with combat fabrication. The goal of your mod is to make battles pyle up across landscapes and be near-perpetual, but you may achieve that with repairing like it is.
    igncom1 likes this.
  3. igncom1

Although there is apart of me that kinda likes that, at least with just land forces battling.

Bringing in bombers (Or artillery of most kinds) is really a decider in most of the battles from what I have seen of the AI.
  4. exterminans

exterminans Post Master General

Looks really nice so far, it makes formations, bases and the entire planet a lot "bigger" than in stock.

Would you mind getting rid of that "tanks have higher turn than turret yaw speed"? Realism and stuff is fine, but it's not really compatible with the procedural aiming PA is using, and it confuses the AI when going close quarters tanks.
  5. igncom1

Sure thing, should tanks turn slower then the turret yew speed, or should the yaw speed be faster then the turn speed?
  6. exterminans

After thinking about it in detail: I would say go for the lower end. Reduce yaw speed to turret turn speed. That diversifies them from bots which have a rather high natural turn speed and makes it easier to flank tank squads. It also means that you have to be commited about advancing with tanks as they also loose the ability to retreat as quickly as bots. Affected are Ants, Levelers and Shellers.
    igncom1 likes this.
  7. exterminans

As for the issue with bombers tilting it over: You could try going for a different weapon pattern.

Remove carpet_fire, increase AoE and raw damage, cut rate_of_fire down to .5 or so, decrease ammo_demand to 10 or less. That results in 42.5 second recharge for full bomb capacity (6 strikes) while it can be unloaded in 11.3 seconds, meaning a 30 second forced pause in between bomber runs. Maybe even double ammo_per_shot since 6 strikes in a row is still a huge number.

So you can push forward using a bomber run, but you can't maintain the DPS using just bombers.

Could be probably worth trying the same with artillery, capacity for multiple shots with large AoE, but refill only slowly. Manual ground targeting only, and full recharge time in the range of up to 1-2 minutes.

In theory, that should turn artillery into a surgical strike instrument rather than just an ordinary indirect fire unit.
    Last edited: November 11, 2014
    igncom1 likes this.
  8. igncom1

It'll take me some time to test all of this, but it does intrigue me.
  9. igncom1

Latest update:

V0.3!

Naval changes to my balancing type!
    Economy changes!
    Factory build speeds/costs changed!
    Fabber build range changed!
    Unit turn rate changes!
    Tank wreck HP reduced slightly!
    Bomber bombs bombed into new bombing explosion balance of bombs!
    And other stuff I totally forgot about!
  10. igncom1

Dox and Grenadier weapon upgrades!

New Dox gyrojet guns and Grenadier rockets!
  11. igncom1

IgnWarzone ideas:
    Increase economy?
    - Make units cheaper? (done)
    Nerf defence AOE damage (done)
    Buff T2 artillery cost (done)
    Need more anti-orbital
    Need more mobile AA
    Change flak? (Just the effects?) (apparntly it does have an effect, who knew?)
    Consult fabber energy to run costs with combat fabbers?
    Integrate unit cannons (soon tm)
    AI changes to macro levels?

If you have any additional ideas or suggestions to the development of IgnWarzone, please do share!
    Last edited: December 13, 2014
  12. Brokenshakles

Brokenshakles Active Member

May I recommend Cola_Collins rescaling mod to go with your shortened ranges and lowered speed? It would make things scale out better.

Post-Like-Edit: Also, you might want to see what the limits of scaling things down are. I would also suggest relative rescaling, and Cola's rescaling mod has several bugs concerning building effects that need to be worked out, so fair warning.
    Last edited: December 16, 2014
    igncom1 likes this.
  13. igncom1

I am working on the next version, which is 10 times more fun to play then the kinda mess I made before it, however I am having difficulty getting the unit cannon to be available.

Some help on github would be appreciated.
  14. wondible

wondible Post Master General

1. It's not in build.js
    2. It's in unit_list twice, not sure if this is an issue
    3. The unit spec is considerably smaller than vanilla, you probably have the old stub spec.
    4. Also not in icon_atlas
    igncom1 likes this.
  15. igncom1

16. igncom1

If anyone has any suggestions for balancing, please do suggest!

Currently, however, I might switch the dox and slammer file names, so that they will be built by the AI, same with the ant and leveller.

This will however make the icons and pictures a little confusing.