[WIP] Commander Tech Wars (Version 0.1)

Discussion in 'Work-In-Progress Mods' started by reptarking, October 8, 2014.

1. reptarking

reptarking Post Master General

[​IMG]
    Commander Tech Wars - Version 0.1
    By: [RLM]Gandalf & [NOVA]TrOpHySyStEm
    Github Link: https://github.com/RLMGandalf/CommanderTechWars.git

This Mod is based off of Galactic War loadouts in a team format. Creating a 3v3+ team game that will allow you to build your teams composition the way you want.

There are 8 loadouts and 12 commanders we are using.

The 8 Loadouts and Commanders that for them are:

Assault - Invictus
    Base - Centurion
    Tech - Nemicus
    Orbital - Theta, Shadowdemon, Gamma
    Bot - Rallus
    Vehicle - Aeson
    Air - Osiris
    Naval - Delta, Spiderofmean, Calyx

Summaries of each Loadout:

Assault: This is your comboxxing god, he is a super commander with huge amounts of health and DPS to boot. he has very limited build capabilities with no eco buildings. We reduced his metal cost so that repairing this beast makes him gain health at an amazing rate.

Base: Also known as your Basic commander will have no offensive units, this commander instead will be your economy and intelligence guy. his Defenses will be the ultimate great wall against any tier one army coming your way!

Tech: Also the Advanced commander, featuring reduced nukes and anti nukes, better advanced defenses, and some boosted advanced economy buildings. has no offensive units.

Orbital: has standard basic economy buildings but has full orbital tech and two different jigs! one for all planets and one for gas giants. has reduced SXX laser platform to destroy your opponents from space.

Bot: Full bot tech tree, with the commander being able to build the advanced bot fartory right off start. Can also build basic bot units directly from commander build arm, does not have any defenses, has standard basic and advanced economy. Has orbital launcher with avengers/astraeus/basic radar.

Vehicle: Full Vehicle tech tree, with the commander being able to build the advanced Vehicle Factory right off start. Can also build basic Vehicle units directly from commander build arm, does not have any defenses, has standard basic and advanced economy. Has orbital launcher with avengers/astraeus/basic radar.

Air: Full Air tech tree, with the commander being able to build the advanced Air Factory right off start. Can also build basic Air units directly from commander build arm, does not have any defenses, has standard basic and advanced economy. Has orbital launcher with avengers/astraeus/basic radar.

Naval: Full Naval tech tree, with the commander being able to build the advanced Naval Factory right off start. Can also build basic Naval units directly from commander build arm, does not have any defenses, has standard basic and advanced economy. Has orbital launcher with avengers/astraeus/basic radar.

Try different combinations and see what is good and works!
    please give us any balance or just overall feedback!

We are really close to calling this REL but it needs some testing!
  2. sycspysycspy

sycspysycspy Active Member

It sounds impossible to balance...
  3. zaphodx

zaphodx Post Master General

4. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

It is. But nothing ventured nothing gained.

Right now, I will confess, orbital doesn't work at all. I am submitting a new commit that does functional fixes so you need that, but it also balances naval. I borrow from RCBM and Statera, but lightly and from both, I figured we didn't need a clone of navalredux/rcbm/statera. I also didn't want to add or move units around, but needed functionality with some and balance with others. Either way, I hope naval works very competitively.

Please submit balance. If we get balance feedback, we will continue to fine tune even if aimed at certain combinations or commanders alone, at the very attempt to achieve balance. If it is impossible, we will find that out only the hard way because we are stubborn and want this to work in various combos.
    It's sort of like Galactic War. It is interesting in a multiplayer sense, because a commander is as valuable as his tech. If you snipe a commander you can snipe his tech. Well, then you have his fabbers, but it becomes endangered at least. Then, when choosing commanders, you can only have 5 on a 5 team and only 2 on a 2 team, so that is where which tech and which absense of gets wacky. You could technically go 1-2 techs and use the assault commanders as experimentals to just bully fights bluntly.

Again, as long as multiple combos are fun, it extends playability. That is my hope anyway, in an unofficial capacity.

And I do remind, it is wip so orbital doesn't even work, so test what you can and what combos you can in a competitive setting, but don't be disinheartened if some things bug and dont drop this as non-functional, just let us know what I broke because it is likely syntax and I a dumba**.
    Last edited: October 8, 2014
  5. philoscience

philoscience Post Master General

This is neat. With a lot of tweaking I could see some fun game modes coming out of this.
  6. proeleert

proeleert Post Master General

Oh this look fun indeed
  7. reptarking

reptarking Post Master General

I'm going to release a full tech tree later. Also I think this will be a long way out before any strat in 5v5 becomes op because going any commander is allowing opponents to counterpick.

I suggest in 5v5 teams there be a pick order that they build there comps. I.e. you pick your commanders 1 at a time alternating with the opposing team.
  8. sleepykid12

sleepykid12 New Member

Awesome, finally after people talking about making mods with commanders that do different things we can actually play it. :)
    reptarking likes this.
  9. stuart98

stuart98 Post Master General

Change naval to progenitor instead of delta.
  10. thetrophysystem

Well, theta and delta are 2 most common backer commanders. Just as we made 2 most common nordic and store commanders also.

However, we have plans to make all commanders act as skin for existing ones. Any reason specifically Stuart, that you needed the Delta opened back up, or did you simply also want the Progenitor to be a naval? Idk, it makes sense to make Progenitor an assault or bot or something otherwise.
  11. stuart98

Progenitor was given to

KS $50+

Uber Store Galactic Edition

Uber Store Cosmic Edition

Delta was given to

KS $90+

Uber Cosmic Edition

Check your facts bro.
  12. thetrophysystem

Gandalf said that too, but a chart I checked said otherwise. Tsk, I am about to give Delta and Progenitor both the loadout.

BTW, check the code. The Gamma and Calyx and shtuff, they literally have the same middle-code in their unit .json as the delta and theta. They even cite the theta and delta's weapons, build arms, descriptions, economy, ect. word for word. Just do some copy and pasting and make yourself a self-patched version of the mod.

But yes, I will figure out wtf is up with that and give the progenitor the naval instead/as-well.
  13. thetrophysystem

Added the stinger AA bot back.

Made progenitor function as naval commander.

Orbital still doesn't work, anything else that doesn't work or works OP or UP, please let me know.

I suspect for instance, that I may need to balance structure effectiveness, economy differences, and air cost to anti-air cost
    Last edited: October 12, 2014
  14. stuart98

What do you mean by "it doesn't work"?
  15. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

I think he means it's either OP or UP. Could be wrong. *Shrugs*
  16. thetrophysystem

Only commander I haven't gotten working yet. Tbh, I have broken more than was even functional in vanilla and I might start with a clean slate sometime, possibly tonight. But list of doesn't work:
    -Solar array fall to land layer, code doesn't tell them to, help yourself to check.
    -Some structures added to orbit haven't been linked to build yet, let alone tested properly.
    -All "unit types" were readjusted shortly before the OP for this mod, orbital wasn't done because it uses different unit types that I will go through possibly tonight.
    -As all layers and factions, it needs interaction with other layers. Playing around with it, but honestly be excited because hopefully it will do a slightly better job than vanilla?

But, hey, are you guys interested to play? I have been hoping to play it as well :D
  17. stuart98

Trophy, would you please, please, PLEASE run the mod through the reformatter? It'd be much easier to see how you derped if I could find things.
  18. thetrophysystem

Ehh I hate making changes to it in a formatted state. It is easier to see errors, but for some reason I do essentially everything right and save and the syntax is broken in an undiscoverable way. Currently, I use jsonview and I can find errors.

But... I might... I will just... I don't know, but for starters I will do that. If I don't like it, even for one build, I will get orbital working locally and push an unformatted build again. The best you get is another chance for it to impress me.
  19. thetrophysystem

I just reformatted all 450 jsons in the PA folder and commited.

I will undo it the second it makes me think to myself, God I really want to undo this.

Hopefully smooth sailing with it from here on out?
  20. stuart98

Did you forget to sync it or is it just taking a while to sync?