[WIP][Client] More Pew Pew - Requesting Opinions

Discussion in 'Work-In-Progress Mods' started by dom314, June 12, 2015.

1. dom314

dom314 Post Master General

It's literally one number in my build script xD. The hard part I suppose is just recording it :p.
    Alpha2546 likes this.
  2. Planktum

Planktum Post Master General

I can't really tell the difference, but I think your original video with the Dox and Gunship is best.

Are you going to try the same thing with the Slammers?
  3. dom314

I made the tails about 20% shorter. I think it is hard to tell because the dox projectile moves pretty fast. I kinda like the slightly longer ones too.

About the slammer. I have a concern, and that is that the length and the width tends to communicate the umpf of the projectile. I think I do have an idea. Let me try it out.
    EDIT: @Planktum, How about this?
    Last edited: June 22, 2015
    cdrkf and killerkiwijuice like this.
  4. stuart98

stuart98 Post Master General

I'll toss my two cents in and say that I preferred the effects in the OP.
  5. Planktum

The tails on the Slammer projectiles are too long...
  6. dom314

Which ones are you referring to?
  7. stuart98

stuart98 Post Master General

Dox and Slammer.
  8. dom314

Done. Trails half length shown in video. I added a bit more color to the trails. They were previously relying on the length and the width to make the color more visible, should be a bit nicer now. I will tweak the muzzle flashes also.
    Planktum likes this.
  9. Planktum

You Sir are a champion!!!
  10. rivii

rivii Well-Known Member

Seprating mods is never a bad thing and I am totally not against it :) Just want to see big guns get some OOMPF instead penuts hitting a 2 meter thick metal plate :p
    Alpha2546 and Planktum like this.
  11. stylisticsagittarius

stylisticsagittarius Active Member

This is awsome!
    Ever tought about a mod that makes the lasers go player secondary color?
  12. dom314

I am quite torn. I happen to like the dox lasers as well, but I prefer the orby projectile for the slammers.... I'll play for a while with things as they are and see how I feel a bit later. Sometimes not thinking about something and seeing how it makes me feel over time is the best way to work out what I think about it xP.

I have not really considered it for this mod. That is deliberate. I do not see the need of team colored lasers because what I want is for the laser color to indicate the unit that fired it, not the army that did.
    ace63, Alpha2546, rivii and 3 others like this.
  13. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

So when will this be on PAMM?
  14. dom314

Already on PAMM, just happens to be WIP too.
    Planktum and cdrkf like this.
  15. dom314

Update
    Added side lights to bolo fire effect. Special thanks to @Alpha2546, who let me steal this idea xD.
    - All tanks get bright green side lights
    - I might change the timing of these lights in the future.​

@Planktum, you may be interested in this update.

@Alpha2546, btw. I am not using pointlights. I am using particle_add_soft with the particles positioned a bit closer and sized to match the bumps on the tank. I also had to split the effect into two files in order to get the facing EmitterX,Z to work (bug in the emitter system).
  16. killerkiwijuice

killerkiwijuice Post Master General

I highly recommend using mesh particles for those tank offsets. I used them in this video (the orange lights on the beams):

You can get a much more accurate, sharp look rather than that circular soft glow.

It takes a little bit longer but I think it's worth it, here are the steps if you want to make it for the tank.
    1. Import the tank into blender
    2. Select the tank and press TAB
    3. Press x, than select limited dissolve
    4. Select the verticies where the secondary color texture will be placed (the place where you put the emitter on those tanks)
    5. Press control-I to select inverse
    6. Delete those verticies, you should be left with two faces (actually it's 3 because of triangulation) resmbling that part of the tank
    7. Move the object to 0,0,0 location (found on the right side in the box icon)
    8. Apply location rotation, and scale (press ctrl-A)
    9. Export as FBX and convert to a .papa via papatran
    10. Then you can use it as a mesh model in a particle emitter :)
    Last edited: June 29, 2015
    dom314 likes this.
  17. Planktum

For some reason I prefer @Alpha2546's bolo effect. Is it the timing of the lights or something else? I'm almost changing my mind about the lights in general, they might be too much. Too many flashing lights can get a little distracting. I don't ask for much do I ;)

@Alpha2546 What is the space bridge?

Both of you are doing an excellent job however!

EDIT: Actually I think I've changed my mind again :) I think I do like the lights on the Bolo (can;t really decide), but I think I would prefer the lights to be your secondary colour (rather than green). And maybe adjust the timing of the lights to be more like @Alpha2546's mod. :) Obviously the projectile itself would remain green, just make the lights your secondary colour.
    Last edited: June 29, 2015
    ace63 likes this.
  18. dom314

I just made the lights way shorter and less bright. I like it more, but I also think that it is a bit noisy. I might remove it after having a bit of a play with it.
    Planktum likes this.
  19. Planktum

I trust you will do what you think is best. It's a fine line between making things looks really nice and being too noisy. I appreciate all your hard work.
  20. dom314

I just updated the mod on PAMM. Have a look and let me know what you think. My goal is to make it interesting enough that when you are zoomed in you can be like ZOMG that looks cool, but as you zoom out it becomes more subtle and hard to notice, because at that level it doesn't really matter.
    Planktum likes this.