[WIP][Client] More Pew Pew - Requesting Opinions

Discussion in 'Work-In-Progress Mods' started by dom314, June 12, 2015.

1. reptarking

reptarking Post Master General

You sir are the reason I stick around
    cdrkf and dom314 like this.
  2. dom314

dom314 Post Master General

3. dom314

Eh, I really doubt it. This will probably not be to everyone's tastes.
  4. Alpha2546

Alpha2546 Post Master General

I think so too not everyone likes this and still want to have awesome projectiles.

I think the explosion effects between a sheller pelter and holkins is still kinda hard too see? They look the same but have different colours I think? Not that big of a deal with pelters and holkins but it still can get kinda confusing with shellers.

I think the grenadier needs more focus. Maybe add like one straight line as a tail in the same colour.

All the other effects are really cool. I can only recommend adding like some bright flash when a projectile hits. I see you have somekind of hit explosion but it doesn't really show you the BANG and PANG and pew when it hits.

You know like this :p

My favorite is still the sheller effect.

Ohyeah and I remember a vid over uber entertainment have pointlights flying around all over the planet. That was kinda disco too.
    dom314 likes this.
  5. dom314

Yeah the colors are the only difference between the artilleries (except the holkins have some extra scaling for some components).

I agree the grenadier may need some work, I'll try out that suggestion.

Hmmm, I suppose the hit effects could do with a bit of a buff. What do you think of the naval hit effects?
  6. Alpha2546

Alpha2546 Post Master General

Those are better. I would just add a bright flash (something like the leveler effect or in Cplosion) and then it transitions into the effect you already made. Like use the dot texture for a hot white core and the soft dot for a glowy transition to the outside (just overlay em).
  7. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

Wow.... You sir are the master of future robo disco technology! Groovy baby, now where are my platforms?
  8. killerkiwijuice

killerkiwijuice Post Master General

What if I told you that those perfect sine waves are completely unecesary :p

I dont think string shapes can be that precise, the perfect sine wave will work for other particle shapes but it looks like it doesn't work on strings.

And you get almost the exact same effect with a value of 1 for the offsetRangeX(YZ) parameter.

Anyway, really awesome!
  9. dom314

Yeah, it doesn't look as smooth as I wanted it too, but they do look smoother than just an offsetRange. I will try another form soon.

EDIT: Ummm sorry @Alpha2546, what I meant to say was, do you mean to add more umpf to the naval units? Or to all the others? I have since improved the leveler one (I already had the two dots, but they were too short lived to be visible xD).

The other units I think can get a tiny buff, but they are basic kinetic weapons, so I figure not much splash should be visible. I will try to make the hit effects a little longer in lifetime.
    Last edited: June 13, 2015
  10. dom314

Update!
    - Updated the sheller and pelter trail (thanks @KillerKiwiJuice)
    - Trails are no longer random
    - Trails are now the shape of co-centric spirals with different radii and periods​
    - Updated the leveler effect (thanks @Alpha2546)
    - Added some glitter particles
    - Added point lights to projectile
    - Improved the hit effect - maor umpf​

- Updated grenadier
    - Tweaked hit effect
    - Added another trail bit (thanks @Alpha2546)​
    - Increased lifetime of base_ammo_hit (basic hit effects inherent more visible effects)

Current Focus
    - Rework orca projectile trails (they look a bit meh at the moment)
    - Holkins needs a rework on the trail effect and also maybe a better color choice.
    - Torpedo launchers. No implementation yet, thinking subtle but distinct trails in perhaps red.
    Planktum, elodea, ace63 and 2 others like this.
  11. stuart98

stuart98 Post Master General

Does this mess with laser defense towers?
  12. dom314

@stuart98, it shouldn't..... Did you notice something odd?
  13. dom314

Update!
    - Updated Torpedo effect trails
    - Torpedo trails are all the same (since all torpedoes do the same amount of damage anyway (except the commander's))
    - Added a little splash effect to hit​
    - Updated Orca projectile trails
    - change the shape of the sparky bits.
    - the trail should be a smidge greener so that it is a bit more different to the Leviathan​

Video featuring new torpedoes:

Current Focus
    - Holkins needs a rework on the trail effect and also maybe a better color choice.

After looking at the Holkins effect I may consider releasing this mod on PAMM. Any last suggestions?
    ace63, elodea, cdrkf and 1 other person like this.
  14. stuart98

Needs to update the boring vanilla laser defense tower/avenger lasers.

Oh, and sniper bots/anchors.

Also the commander primary (especially for uber cannon commanders such as Osiris... that bullet is so bland!)

That aside this is really looking legit.
    ace63 and dom314 like this.
  15. dom314

Oh right! I realised the commander primary needs some love too, but I kept forgetting about it xD. I was planning to change the bullet one, but keeping the other two the same.

About the static defense lasers....I kinda like them. I don't know, what's wrong with them in your opinion? I kinda like they way they seem to slam and stop. Just a feeling I get from them which I would like to keep.
    One thing I have noticed about the laser towers though is that they use a rectangular particle as the laser beam, I could make more like the other projectiles but it might interfere with that feeling I like about them.

What is it you don't like about sniper bots and anchors? I think the anchor beam is actually probably okay. It makes sense for the beam to be orange when it fires rapidly and just a little damage. The sniper bot on the other-hand I agree should probably be another color.

Perhaps if I swap the anti-tac and main beam effects? That might look pretty good I think.
    ace63 likes this.
  16. stuart98

I mainly don't like how boring they are in appearance. They need to be updated to fit the color scheme for one thing; yellow lasers are... no.

It's the same thing with the beam weapons, but also a simply orange line is just kinda bland to me. I feel like they'd be better (sniper bots especially) with something like an uber cannon helix surrounding the beam (See the effect I did for the snipers in Statera that's currently in KKJ's better comboxing mod).
  17. MrTBSC

MrTBSC Post Master General

personally i dig the anchor and gil-e lasers ...
    weaponeffects don't have to look "ZOMG FLASHY" and i don't think it's a good idea to put many effects on many weapons ... after all you want the flashy stuff to stand out from the standart ... it won't look outstanding when EVERYTHING is flashy it rather becomes a lightning mess ...
    ace63 and dom314 like this.
  18. dom314

@MrTBSC, @stuart98
    I have a little bit of a draft for the sniper effect. Would appreciate the comments. I still need to update the muzzle flash and the hit effect.

Second draft, added muzzle flash that is bluish and proper hit effect. There are less pointlights on the beams since they seem to cause lag.
    Last edited: June 19, 2015
    cdrkf likes this.
  19. dom314

@stuart98 Draft for laser towers:

Still need to add the muzzle flashes.
    cdrkf likes this.
  20. proeleert

proeleert Post Master General

That's my main problem with vanilla!
    Want! please release on pamm so I don't have to update manually.
    cdrkf and dom314 like this.