will the Unit Cannon be added in Gamma?

Discussion in 'Backers Lounge (Read-only)' started by nuketf, March 5, 2014.

?

will it?

1. yes

11.1%
  2. yes

6.3%
  3. why is there a poll?

82.6%
  1. BradNicholson

BradNicholson Uber Employee Uber Alumni

The Unit Cannon will not be a part of Gamma.
    riddick3 likes this.
  2. KNight

KNight Post Master General

Well that's troubling in many aspects when offered with no context.

Mike
    aevs, iron420, zweistein000 and 2 others like this.
  3. Quitch

Quitch Post Master General

4. drz1

drz1 Post Master General

soooo, there is going to be ANOTHER phase?
    I would hope that it would be in by/very shortly after proper release, given it's large presence in all the kickstarter videos and such. I'm not bothered as long as it is there eventually, but you need to be careful of a backlash if it isn't in by release :p
    bodzio97 and stuart98 like this.
  5. Quitch

It'll be post-release I suspect. Live streams have been laying the groundwork for that for a while.
  6. thetdawg3191

thetdawg3191 Active Member

well if Gil-E's can shoot through walls, that may either be:

1 - a bug

2 - a non-bug occurence that may have to be rebalanced.

3 - a true sign that the Gil-E is, in fact, OP.

Walls are designed to block shots that attempt to go through them. though the class of weapon the Gil-E uses is a newer type of weapon, so there may not be code in yet to account for that projectile being blockable, if it's meant to be blockable at all.
  7. stuart98

stuart98 Post Master General

Should be the wrong thread.
  8. BradNicholson

Giggled at this. For more context, btw, the Unit Cannon isn't on our immediate priority list. This is why you haven't seen significant progress with it. There's a couple of other invasion options, and we're constantly balancing so they work more effectively.

We've still got a lot of great content to add to Gamma, including Friends lists, instant messaging, multi-planet spawns, and a whole lot more.
    drz1 likes this.
  9. mered4

mered4 Post Master General

I am disappointed, Evil Master #3.

But I will remain calm.

25 anchors + Orbital Laser = SNIPED BRAH

Hopefully adjusting nuke play is high on that list.
    stuart98 likes this.
  10. Geers

Geers Post Master General

Building cannon coming with Rho stage.
  11. cwarner7264

cwarner7264 Moderator Alumni

Sorry to press this further, but this leaves two potential options:
    - There will be another phase of testing after Gamma, which instead of focusing on social expansion focuses on additional in-game content.
    - The unit cannon will not be in for initial release

I'm not sure how well the latter would sit with the wider community considering the significant role the unit cannon played in the initial Kickstarter pitch.
  12. ace63

ace63 Post Master General

I assume many people - including myself - would be massively disappointed if the unit cannon was not in for the release.
  13. cwarner7264

cwarner7264 Moderator Alumni

Which is precisely why I'm pressing Brad for a bit more clarification on the issue.
    iron420 and stuart98 like this.
  14. Geers

Geers Post Master General

Guys I keep telling you. Everything's gonna be good with Rho. Rho is where it's at.
  15. BradNicholson

No worries, dude. The Unit Cannon is not in the cards for the foreseeable future.

I want to add that we really like how our invasion options are shaping up. You can do some really incredible stuff right now in an attempt to crack a planet, and we plan to keep fleshing those options out. The right now is to keep polishing what we have; polish, polish, and polish.
    Last edited: March 7, 2014
  16. stevenrs11

stevenrs11 Active Member

In the original trailer, the unit cannon or the units it fired were visible for about 22 seconds, and the main 'feature' of the given scene for about 13 seconds. The planet smashing bits where visible for about 20 seconds, and the main 'feature' for about 18 seconds. The entire segment was 100 seconds long.

Given that more than 20% of the kickstarter pitch featured the unit cannon in some way, equal with the time given to planet smashing, Id say we will definitely get it at some point. Forward to Rho!
    carlorizzante, stuart98 and lokiCML like this.
  17. mered4

mered4 Post Master General

If by incredible stuff you mean spam nukes and anchors, then yes! absolutely!

we need more options to turn the late game towards moving your armies around instead of nuking your opponents energy.

Unit cannons will provide that. If you guys have more stuff to add, please, let us know - but as it stands, this is what seems to work.
  18. BallsonFire

BallsonFire Active Member

I really think the Unit cannon should have a higher priority cause right now late games where players are on different planets are tedious. Most of the time it is not possible to build a portal cause it gets instantly destroyed by catapults or air. a lot of Umbrellas makes it impossible to use the orbital laser.

The only way to win in these situations is spamming nukes. I find it real boring to have one strategy to win the game.
    I also find it weird that the kickstarter video is showing a lot of the unit cannon while its not one of the main features apparently.

Why focus on social interaction before getting all the main game play features in?

I find the social interactions way less important than a stable running game with all the main game play features in it!
  19. ledarsi

ledarsi Post Master General

I think the only important component of the unit cannon is the ability to move a significant number of units to a hostile planet. Teleporters are great for friendly worlds and places where you already have a beachhead, but you need to be able to send units to invade, such as to raid or to assault/seize a beachhead in the first place.

That functional ability needs to be in the game. However it doesn't matter how it is implemented, whether that is a unit cannon or something completely different.
    sypheara and corteks like this.
  20. Quitch

Well I think Uber are looking at implementing additional nukes first, so the idea will be to bomb a spot, get the teleported up and then move in.