Will the planets ever look close to the kickstarter stuff?

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by bradaz85, October 25, 2013.

1. vackillers

vackillers Well-Known Member

You are right in that the concept isn't what they are going by, its actually the kickstarter trailer they are trying to achieve, but the concepts I was actually personally told before i backed it, from a dev, that the concepts they made they can get "very" close to achieving them so...

Well you asked for it so here ya go man.... Star citizen concept spaceport to game engine port... almost completely and utterly identicle.

corteks and bradaz85 like this.
  2. KNight

KNight Post Master General

But do you think that was the ONLY concept they did for it? Many things go through many different variations through concepting because it's a heck of a lot cheaper than creating in-game assets only to change it 50 times. Once you're done the concepting stage and have figured out what you want you do further studies to really lock it in and then use those as the basis for the In-Game assets.

So sure, maybe that one piece of concept art matches what they ended up doing, but unless it was the first piece of concept art they drew it doesn't really mean anything.

Mike
    corteks likes this.
  3. bluestrike01

bluestrike01 Active Member

When I saw the art with the deep valley's and cliffs my first thought was where are my buildings and units suposed to go, it looks so cramped for a game in the spirit of TA or SupCom . (But it does look cool :))

So I hope the game is never going to look that cramped, but hey who knows what you can do with the planet editor yourself :)
    However some bottlenecks of strategic importance are always nice for gameplay variance :)
    Quitch likes this.
  4. Arachnis

Arachnis Well-Known Member

I wish lava-planets would look more like the concept art. I even found them to be better looking when they did the august-livestream. They somehow went backwards from that. But frankly to me that's something that can wait, till other more important stuff got done.
    cmdandy likes this.
  5. vackillers

Well actualyl yeah it does, because you could quite easierly say the biomes concept aren't the very first pieces of concept art either and took several goes to get the piece they liked, at the end of the day its still the same situation that the guy asked to prove a game that followed the concept arts and that I did... Regardless if concept art ever gets to look the same in game is another matter, but that was a very good example of how concept art can quite easily be in game if you want it depending how determined you are to stay true to the concept arts. As this was a kickstarter project to begin with the concept art was for a very long time all that people had to go by, hence, why so many people still bring that up (apart from the original kickstarter trailer) that is.
  6. KNight

But there is still different types of concept art, The is the original "We kinda have an idea so we're exploring all the options" type which is followed by the "Okay we know what works and what doesn't so lets just refine what does until we can use it to create in-game assets" type. So unless that image came from the first type of concept art the comparison doesn't mean anything.

It's like when you design a house, you have the initial concepts and then the blueprints used by the contractors to build the house. You don't get to go in after the house is built, hold up the blueprints and say "Oh man look we NAILED it exactly like this concept!" that's just silly.

Mike
  7. kalherine

kalherine Active Member

Will we only have 6 maps to play, or we will have lot great tools to change all aspects off the map (planet)
  8. chronosoul

chronosoul Well-Known Member

I have to admit that was a very exact concept art for that game. It was cool to see it transition to actual game play. Most concept art I've seen is mainly visual ques to aid the graphic designer to get it in game while this was basically story board cut out to finished product.. In this case it didn't have an changes and was a good first pass concept. However this is where I base my concept art data.

This is extremely early concept art for Supreme commander. This is what hooked me into the game in the first place for supreme commander. Like that very initial hook. It may look like the finished product but really its just a really good guide.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  9. stormingkiwi

stormingkiwi Post Master General

Isn't that out of date now?

I heard the the designers outsourced some other company to design that "level". Who designed it like a "level". Now, instead of looking like a landing zone/major concourse, it looks like a dungeon... I'm not even kidding.

In it's current iteration, I heard through forum chatter that Chris Roberts was disappointed with it and they were getting the company to do it again. It looks like its designed for the player to run through with Leeroy Jenkings and slay the dragonlings.

(Erm... That's somewhere on the SC forums. I think the comment came up in the chat session, with one of the devs chiming in. Unsourced. Let's just say that's the way I *hope* it turns out, because otherwise the first person component of SC will look like you're walking around a video game level.

For comparison, it now doesn't look anything like that video or the new Killzone E3 gameplay.

Why would it look like the new Killzone E3 gameplay?

Because the E3 gameplay showcased a level with a public concourse, a public square, and the foyer of some administrative building. It looked more like a spaceport, basically. SC Terra landing zone in the most recent video I saw did not look like it was built to accommodate thousands of people moving through it a day.
    Last edited: October 29, 2013
  10. Culverin

Culverin Post Master General

You guys do know how much Star Citizen raised right?
    $25 Million.

That's from just crowd funding.
    With that much money, Roberts probably has a ton of private investors knocking down his door as well.
    It's not even in the same league as PA.
    aevs, corteks and bradaz85 like this.
  11. adecoy95

adecoy95 Member

fancy stuff probably comes last i would think, so you wont see trees or other things just yet
  12. doud

doud Well-Known Member

Except that in the end, your house still has a roof ....(hopefully)
    And i guess anyone used to solid RTS expect too have height variations impacting the gameplay, which is far from being the case right now.
  13. pivo187

pivo187 Active Member

chronosoul: that first pic of sup com is what hooked me also. But now that we look back sup com actually went into a more realistic direction from that screenshot. That ss was more cartoony, bright, colorful with cool explosions but the actual game is not. Pa looks more like that sup com screen shot than sup com today!
  14. neutrino

neutrino low mass particle Uber Employee

Concept art isn't screenshots. The art is going to continue to evolve.
    Arachnis, doud, corteks and 1 other person like this.
  15. stormingkiwi

stormingkiwi Post Master General

Yes you do. That's the point of a blueprint. It's so someone else can machine your part/build the house exactly to the given specifications.

You don't use the concept artist drawing, that's true.

And there has to be some common sense applied when building the house - for example, when refurbishing an old building, creating a new doorway as specified by the plans, but not keeping the old heating unit left on the plans so that it blocks the new doorway.
  16. chronosoul

chronosoul Well-Known Member

Haha, I have to agree with you. Looking at the initial to the final build, Sup Com had a graphic design re iteration while PA has kept the same "aesthetic style". Looking back at the Cybran commander (which was on a PC game magazine), it kept pretty close to the roots of what people see in Sup com and FA, Even the rhino tanks and the T3 bomber.

Even though people want the same Desert landscape.. I feel it would be quite hard to have tiered cliffs be to tall on the planet landscape. I actually want to see more crevices and fights in valleys... that would be really cool. I currently like the 1 tiered cliffs and mountains and could use some variation with those. I think it would be cool to even have them be destructible or tunnel tanks that can go through them. sort of like destructible rocks in StarC2(might add this to the unit thread)
  17. vackillers

Look at the date... that concept art was done WELL WELL WELL before they had even close to the current $25mil that have now... when that was first initializted you'll see actually it was in the same ball park as PA when that video of concept-to-game was done...
  18. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

this, guys.
    Last edited: October 30, 2013
  19. KNight

but again, Just because it matches ONE piece of Concept art doesn't mean it matches ALL of the concept art.

Mike
  20. vackillers

indeed, true....