Will PA: Titans have a nintendo switch version?

Discussion in 'PA: TITANS: General Discussion' started by crossmad, July 5, 2018.

1. MrTBSC

MrTBSC Post Master General

dude i made just one point that is all

you installed ubuntu onto the switch did you?
    that way running PA on a switch as PA was made to run on linux .. BUT you didn't run it on the switch OS specifically is all i am saying ..
  2. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

no. not yet. read pleeease
    what kind of argument even is that?

yes.... PA does not currently sell on the Switch Store... note that if it did... the purpose of this thread would be .... what...?
  3. MrTBSC

MrTBSC Post Master General

currently on the phone thus trouble quoting..

you said in your mind this was done with your boot linux on switch aproach

i stated that the biggest hurdle to porting PA to switch may with the switch OS and programming stuff but i have limited knowledge on that aside from the hardwarelimitations the switch has ..

the purpose of the thread is to understand how much effort a port may require and weither or not the switch would be capable to offer the experience to the extend win10, linux and macOS do ..

i am under the impression that a switchport may require more effort than a xbox or PS port .. that's ignoring the neccesary support for mouse and keyboard ..
  4. tatsujb

good, we're now getting to the meat of the matter.

No.

that is without a doubt the falsest notion you've emitted thus far. (again not a jab, just an assertion)

let's break it down :
    • xbox OS is more different to windows 10 then switch OS from linux (that is to say, not very different. xbox OS and windows 10 are VERY similar, but just not AS similar as switch OS and linux)
    • PS4 OS is apparently based on FreeBSD (to me, still a branch of the linux/unix familly) making it quite close to linux and switch OS but still probably quite far as Sony has had time to invest in this over the years,
    • whereas a lot points to the switch's OS being not exactly a continuation of what they used in the Nintendo 3DS system software, therefore, less evolutions away from it's linux kernel inspirations, ergo closer.
    (about the switch OS, there's mystery clouding this but purposeful mystery that I suspect nintendo fuels. I suspect that they don't want us to know how much of a lazyboy's linux edition their system really is, as this being public knowledge would make it more susceptible to jailbreaks then it already is. (not that I condone). It's just that there's so many darn clues : the way they're able to pull libraries from radically disperse sources : their own take on Vulkan, what is basically linuxe's nvidia driver, zlib or FreeBSD elements, both Stagefright multimedia framework and the graphic stack from Android... if this really was a whole new OS started from a barebones unix stack it wouldn't be compatible with all these diverse things. distro hopping will teach you that! rare are the distros that hold all the keys. Debian/ubuntu imo is the only distro where you can get the most complete set the linux world has to offer and Debian is a very complete stack. And lastly it's just the fact that the Switch Store features exactly every game my linux Steam store features (minus exclusives such as the Mario and Zelda franchises)).

I'm not set on this, but it's what I've got.

also I'm repeating myself again :
    and :

in my mind the notion that porting (and this is, strictly speaking in terms of getting the game to start, not even talking about "optimized" yet) PA to xbox one or porting PA to PS4 would be "easier" than porting it to the switch is absurd.

in terms of code work to be expected we need only look at the hardware of each machine : the switch is definitely the one to make things "easier" for whichever OS you'll be running.

And I do think the stance of "do it yourself, not my job" AMD takes in regards to drivers and in particular in the case of linux as compared to the "at your service" stance Nvidia provides would play an enormous part. (switch is nvidia, both Xbox and PS4 are AMD, again, repeating myself : )
    the way linux runs flawlessly on the switch so soon after it's release is a testament to that.
    as I said earlier :
    keynote here : PA runs nowhere near as well on mac as on linux or windows.

no it would not. but then again, that's not the point of the switch at all.

I bought my switch because I fervently play Rocket League (on linux) on my PC.

I love that game to bits and when I found out that the portable beauty that was the switch not only could run it but was part of the playerbase of interconnected xbox and PC players I had to get one.

I now play RL (and skyrim, and...) on the hour of riding the tram to work I have to sit through, the midday break, and the hour back from work. It really eases those long boring transports out.

but RL on switch (while running the same physix and Unreal Engine 3) does not feature the same graphics : the crowds are gone from the stadiums, in the underwater map there are no water effects and no fishes, sharks or plant life.

all of this hurts the gameplay in no way, they just patched the game so it could run a stable 60 FPS (depending). and to I love them for doing that because it means I get to play the game I like as I go.

now if PA were portable... yes a gimped, unit-caped version of PA... whoa mama. I'd play that all the time, even if it were vs AI only.
    again No.

I never implied this if you would take the time to read what I write.

I am simply stating that running such a test would be both interesting and, if successful, would serve as proof that really there's not that much porting work left to do to get PA onto the nintendo Switch Store.
    I'm glad of your assessment. I too have limited knowledge. the difference is I don't claim certainties, I say "I think that..."

hopefully what I wrote just here serves to bring light to the idea that, no the biggest hurdle is far from being it's OS, as it shares many roots with linux, I DO think that there's work, most definitely, but the work involved is, IMO, peanuts compared to an xbox one port or a ps4 port, and the brunt of the work would consist of gimping down graphics and optimizing.
    Last edited: September 11, 2018
  5. tatsujb

So the Nintendo online announcement for switch had given me new a new take on this : it makes me think Nintendo don't deserve PA.

I dunno how doable standing your ground on this policy would be (Fortnite did manage it) but I imagine it would be too difficult for an indie studio to pull off.

buying an extra console plus the game anew just so you can have it on the go is a bit of a hard sell (though I did just that for rocket league) but adding a monthly subscription on top of that... ...yeah no one will ever bite.

so yeah, screw it , it's not doable anymore. dunno why nintendo is so goddamn thirsty the margins they make on everything they sell is so goddamn much (and everything they goddamn make sells like hot cakes), on top of that, by my estimations the switch is about a third of it's shelf price in manufacturing costs, perhaps even less and and yet still somehow that's not enough.

and to have the gall to up and take away something that was already a done transaction between the client and the salesman without repercussion.

people should be in uproar, yet they're all like "xbobx and ps4 did it" who cares!!! freaking fight for your rights you brainwashed................. I digress
  6. martianhunter

martianhunter New Member

I mean, sure, dude, I respect that you like the switch, but there are better offerings if all you are looking for is a portable Linux machine. I have already posted an image of the GPD win, or the GDP pocket but seriously, you can buy single board computers with comparable/better specs than the Switch. For half the price

Just slap one of those in a switch - shaped case, toss in a few battery packs, grab your tiny bluetooth keyboard, and you got yourself a portable PA machine.

Now, you certainly could hack your switch to run linux. But that is kinda missing the point. When you buy the switch, you aren't buying a computer, you are buying the platform, and the legal ability to play switch licensed games. If you install linux on your switch, overriding the in-house nintendo version of linux, you will be burning that bridge, and the $150 you paid to get into that ecosystem. Certainly, you will be left with a pretty decent handheld Freedom-machine, but if you wanted that, there are other offerings.

As to Uber porting PA to the switch, I don't know dude, I am of the firm opinion that, in order to have a good RTS, you need to have a keyboard. Preferably a full keyboard, with a numpad. Anything else, and you will have to start dividing the player pools into 'people who use the right tools' and 'people who play with joysticks'. This is the same problem that FPS games have run into for decades. And FPS games have a much larger player base then RTS do in the current year.

With that said, I am getting my GPD win in here in a few days, and one of the first games I am going to try is PA. Maybe I can get a good control scheme figured out with dual joysticks/touchscreen.