Will PA Run on Windows XP?

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by greeves, June 21, 2013.

1. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

I run uac off. I also run "test build 5407" to disable checks for driver signing.

But that is because i know what a virus is. Everything that exists from hardware to the files inside it is as clear as night to day to me. I do NOT need security and i use some but REFUSE to use that much.

I agree with the better programming from the ground up on rights vista os, without it software couldn't do what it does now without every single thing running higher.

I understand 8 is more visual is why people repel to it, but to me its that I'd rather get linux if they are going to bar of every single access to every single advanced feature of the os. Might as well hold my donger for me when i pee too.

I'll stick to 7. When upgrading makes sense, I'll consider linux and weigh it against what i look up windows is capable of doing in terms of adjusting its layout and accessing necessary controls.
  2. Quitch

Quitch Post Master General

A good understanding of the IT security landscape would lead you to increasing your UAC setting, not turning it off and thinking you can avoid malware, despite instances of major sites (like the Superbowl) being used to distribute malware.

You've also disabled a number of other mechanisms within the OS which rely on UAC. For example, protected mode in Internet Explorer.
    Last edited: December 11, 2013
  3. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

I personally skim most my computers operational files regularly, most my stuff is in unorthodox places so the usual places are vacant and easier to spot new changes, and i run malwarebytes which i completely delete and reinstall every use.

Which is why i notice so many things with files. If i can't avoid it, then when i do have it, i end up looking it straight in the eye. Besides, if you have Norton or mcafee then you have malware, professionally developed to cripple your computer, and i like to call those viruses mcafee and Norton.
  4. stormingkiwi

stormingkiwi Post Master General

I do hardly ever see it. I see it if I update PA mods. That's the only time it regularly happens. Oh, and if I install stuff. And if I uninstall stuff. And if I make any changes to program files at all. Which includes modding.

There should have been a "mark this application as safe" mechanism, because if it gives you frequent notifications anyway you are never going to know the time it is Malware. If it's some strange notification, yeah I get the point. But it wasn't, it was common applications I used at least once a week. There were other games as well that caused me issues with UAC, but I'll outline the most frequent candidate in the following paragraph.

I launch Planetary Annihilation by using the PAMM launcher. It's partly because I was having some issues with mods being uninstalled unless PAMM is used, but it is also a leftover tribute from playing Oblivion/Skyrim, where sometimes not using the nexus mod manager would totally screw up your mods.

And yes. Both PAMM and NMM require UAC admin permissions. If that exe got compromised there is no way that I would know well enough not to give it permission.

Let's put it this way. I have the Vista UAC alert stuck in my head. Bear in mind that Windows 8 no longer uses that alert sound (or at least I changed it), and Windows 7 didn't use that alert sound (because I changed it), and every time UAC pops up I hear that bing. I stopped using Vista in early June, 2012.
  5. Quitch

If you get frequent notifications the software developer needs to fix their application.
  6. stormingkiwi

stormingkiwi Post Master General

How? The modding directory is in program files?
  7. Quitch

Well, depending on the level of access mods have to the game, is that where it should be?