[WILL NOT BE PRESENT] Commander Upgrades

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by kalherine, September 23, 2013.

1. neutrino

neutrino low mass particle Uber Employee

Personally not a fan of upgrades. I want the commander strong early game and weak late game.

Not to mention we have to keep the budget reasonable.
  2. cybersunder

cybersunder Member

Yeah, I don't see Commander Upgrades as a good thing. They didn't really add anything to SupCom besides complexity.
  3. gunshin

gunshin Well-Known Member

i have to say that they definitely were not the thing that made supcom as complex as it is.
  4. cybersunder

cybersunder Member

That's not what I said at all. They weren't exactly a fun addition, and they weren't usually used as a core strategy. They were just another feature that didn't need to be in SupCom to make it the good game it was.
  5. gunshin

I actually enjoy the commander upgrades, and will probably be part of a gameplay mod i will attempt. I honestly dont think they detract from gameplay at all. Im not too bothered that uber is not putting them in either so. There are far bigger issues with PA design that commander upgrades *cough* tanks shooting at air *cough*
  6. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

Anything can shoot at aircraft, from pistols to artillery shells.

Just not everything should be given a good chance to actually hit.
  7. gunshin

I dont know if you play the game or anything, but its a design without ANY viable reason. Not a single viable reason exists for it, when there are multiple against. You can argue about realism all you want, but this game is not realistic by ANY standards.
  8. cybersunder

cybersunder Member

You're wrong, most tank cannons cannot be raised to an angle required to hit an aircraft.
  9. igncom1

How about having laser weapons that travel at the speed of light be able to hit aircraft when their turrets are fully capable of pointing up?

Or having artillery shells hit aircraft in the air if they collide?

Or are we not going to have a simulation based RTS where bullets can be fired at whatever they damn well please if they are fully capable of actually doing it?
  10. gunshin

Do not bring artillary shells into a tank balance discussion. We are talking about tanks and their directed cannons here. I dont have a problem with artillary shells accidentaly hitting air.

You have not given any reason for tanks to be able to shoot air. None.
  11. igncom1

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:105mm_M1_Abrams.png

I dunno dude, that looks like it could hit a helicopter.
  12. gunshin

Why dont they just give tanks missile launchers on top of them? at least that way it would make sense.
  13. igncom1

And you are dodging my answer by saying that tanks should not be able to do something when artillery can when both fire a simulated projectile.

Accuracy notwithstanding, if they can fire at the angle required (They can) and have shells that move fast enough (They do) then why is it any different to whether the unit is a tank or an anti air artillery?
  14. igncom1

Both are projectiles, what is the difference when both can do the same job?
  15. BulletMagnet

BulletMagnet Post Master General

If it can point at something, it should be able to shoot at it.

Not doing so doesn't make sense.
    igncom1 likes this.
  16. gunshin

Again, your attempting to base this off realism which is not what this game is about. Its true that projectiles from tanks and artillary main cannons may be able to hit moving or unmoving aircraft, but it is certainly NOT realistic for them to do this. You just are not giving any valid reason and are just dodging my question.
  17. gunshin

Under your assumption, its fine if tanks never hit aircraft correct?
  18. BulletMagnet

BulletMagnet Post Master General

19. gunshin

if that is the case then this is now going against the core design decision of removing micro from the game, not adding to it.
  20. igncom1

Not realistic for them to shoot and miss?

And how is giving a valid reason a bad thing?

Tanks should be able to shoot at anything that their projectile can get to, just like anything else, mainly because exceptions are bad. (Like galactic colossus being taller then the air layer, but seemingly unable to shoot at planes)

Say for instance, I have some tanks and some AA.
    My enemy attacks me with their bombers and gunships, not I am in a bad position, however my AA is really good at hitting fast moving targets, so they pick off the bombers, however not the gunships are attacking.

My tanks are probably going to die, but that doesn't prevent them from firing back, sure they don't have anything on the effectiveness of the AA, but against gunships (Or bombers during a turn) they do actually have a small chance to at leas hit them, even if the effective damage they put down in rather low.

Its about retaining the standard of the simulated projectile system, and preventing arbitrary exceptions to a unit that is capable of shooting at a target.