Why I dislike Planetary Annihilation

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by hallis68, May 1, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bobucles

bobucles Post Master General

Well removing things is easy. Adding things is the HARD part. Any new part or mechanic has to work against every other moving part in the game. If all the previous bits are sewn together in a really shitty way, the outcome will be a disaster.
  2. phantomtom

phantomtom Active Member

Yeah beginning to dislike it meself, turning more and more into a game im not looking forward to.
    Alltho i really like the art designe and the whole concept. Maybe they will be like suprise mofos when its done.
    Ho knows, time will tell
  3. fissure

fissure Member

I just went over to Forged Alliance: Forever for the first time, back to playing SupCom: FA, and love it. I'll try out PA again when there's more units and balance. Otherwise, FA has more units per tier, more tiers, more buildings, etc., not to mention synergy bonuses with actually clustering economy, so you have to determine risk/reward, vs how it is in PA where it's a detriment to not have everything spaced out. Until then, FA is better paced, balance, graphics, and supports multiple end-game strategies and ways to break stalemates regardless of shields, etc., which I've found are much weaker than the original SupCom, so it's much more balanced. Anyways, I hope PA turns out for the best, but it's not released yet, so I wasn't expecting it to compare to FA yet. Each patch seems to be making it better. I'll be in for the occasional game, but for now, it's FA.
  4. lazeruski

lazeruski Active Member

wasnt there even a 5min Colossus? Sadly i cant find it anymore.

I also loved these units, Galactic Colossus and Czar where my absolute favourites.
    But SupCom was split.
    Gametype 1 was all about an early (Com)Rush.
    Gametype 2 was all about Experimental Spam while Turtling
    It was a fun game, but it had problems. Not enough strategic potential.

BUT there are a few things i would love to see again.
    Different Shield-Type, like an additional non-stacking healthbar.
    Stealth. I loved to hide my units and buildings...sadly SupCom had a very bad stealth/cloak mechanic.
  5. Geers

Geers Post Master General

At least Omni lived up to its name.
  6. kalherine

kalherine Active Member

I start to see many players that arent happy with PA.
    Ne must be me im just read rong!
    Guys dont play PA iff you are think in Supreeme commander, play iff you like simcity rts mod or ....i dont remenber any other similar......
    PA is a good game.....
  7. Nicb1

Nicb1 Post Master General

I honestly dont see how you can draw comparisons between sim city and PA. The games with the most similarity to PA are SupCom and TA. And no we dont want PA to turn into SupCom, we merely wish for a few elements to be brought over.
  8. bobucles

Omni was a hack and you know it. Broad sweeping detection only detracts from all the sneaky parts of an RTS. Besides, TA already figured out an excellent cloaking system for mass scale battles and the devs would be smart to use it.
  9. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

If you read the extensive number of posts in this thread in answer to this post you'd know that wasn't ever really the case and has since changed drastically, to such a point now that you'd often much rather have t3 units than experimentals. and there never was such a thing as a 5min colossus.
  10. nawrot

nawrot Active Member

Guys don't get me wrong, i love PA, but for some reason i love SUPCOM FA more. And I know that reason.
    I has hope that UBER will balance this someday.
  11. kalherine

kalherine Active Member

You sure? Because i play forged aliance Forever like all ower community and there isnt even 1 player there, that agreed with you!

Can you understand wy?
    Or can you give me reasons to you compare PA to SCFA?

Because the big amount off tactic and style FAF got , PA well i dont now what to say about it just simcity is on my mind sry, its what all players do here, stay home just a few attacks,then just smash a planet against other and....game over ,what a massive battle yes you are right!!

And im not talk about the PA naval that i dont now wy is there,have they take out all naval units? Iff yes well that was a good decision!

Do you now how many Forged Aliance Forever players that are active there and play here?
    I tell you = 0
    I was the only that belive this game could be something new to this kind RTS style .

Thats wy i will never buy again a game this kind before the official released!
    Last edited: May 4, 2014
  12. reptarking

reptarking Post Master General

I think everyone needs some bacon. All the games need bacon.
  13. Clopse

Clopse Post Master General

I don't think you have ever constructively criticized this game. All you do is troll and say faf is the best game in the world in 99% of your posts. It's getting really old now . Stop comparing a finished game with years of balancing to a game that's not even released.
    nanolathe, FSN1977, Bgrmystr2 and 2 others like this.
  14. FSN1977

FSN1977 Active Member

Nailed IT! Thanks.
  15. lazeruski

lazeruski Active Member

i could swear there was one...
    was a 1v1 match, where one player had nearly all of the mex spots. he rushed straight to T3 while spamming t1 bots, and after a few minutes he had the colossus ready. was pretty impressive.
    Sadly it was a replay linked in a forum that i cant find anymore.
  16. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

ok that is not possible. and especially in a 1v1 colossus rush is NOT a valid strategy.

The only way you could ever do that is if the colossus rusher was in the top 10 ranked players and his opponent was the absolute all time lowest.

the players were hopelessly mismatched. that is all
  17. mrphalanx

mrphalanx New Member

Hi everybody, i want to add some thoughts too this topic.

I understand the both sides arguments, but I want to everybody understand one thing (I speak with experience, cause I played TA from the beginning(1997, what a glorious year for the strategy games!), Supcom 1-2 form the beginning.).

Planetary Annihilation is not a spiritual successor of SupCom(OK it considered the spiritual successor, but the relase of PA , it needs to be reconsidered) , its much closer for Total Annihilation.

But yes to the EPIC scale, Supcom is better.

TA: When I first played, I was shocked. Why? There was'nt that many units in the screen at once before, and the economy management are simple, but still great. And that was my first strategy game, that finally BALANCED both on the offense and defense side. (Enough assault units to breach any type of defense, very good defensive towers and etc. to hold almost all offensive units.) And it featured the Core Krogoth as the first Experimental (my personal favourite ;) ).

SupCom : I amazed, when I first played, the variety of units are below of TA , but the Experimental side balanced it. (But the AI are way bugged, even FA). But the vanilla game + FA doesn't felt too epic until I installed Knight's Black Ops + Burnie222's Total Mayhem+ Asdrubaelvect29's Xtreme Wars and the Sorian AI. When i played thoose, my mind are blew out , and keeps blowing out whenever I play again.

So I can OK with the Vanilla PA ( for me it much like a TA sp. successor), but this why MODDERS are exists. To turn normal vanilla games to the Epic scale. Just do it guys!
  18. bobucles

^ Supcom experimentals definitely did some cool things that you wouldn't expect out of an ordinary unit. But they didn't have to be Tier 4 behemoths to do it.
    aevs and igncom1 like this.
  19. ikickasss

ikickasss Active Member

I think many forget the screen on sign in that the game is in gamma and unfinished. we all bought the game to give uber feedback on what the community wants.
  20. Bhaal

Bhaal Active Member

Balancing should be an ongoing progress and not something you can do a month before release... If you are a small company with limited resources you should not try to reinvent the weel... you should start from something thats working and change it into your vision/direction.
    tatsujb and kalherine like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.