Why all the SupCom 2 Hate?

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by furlock, March 13, 2013.

1. KNight

KNight Post Master General

FA didn't need Vanilla installed for anything, back when GPGNet was still online you needed a Vanilla Key associated to your GPGNet account in order to play all factions online otherwise you could only play as the Seraphim. For the Campaign and Skirmish(LAN too maybe but I never tried it) you could play with any of the factions.

Mike
  2. misiahk

misiahk New Member

lack of mod support no map editor very low replayabilty value, i didnt buy it deleted it right after i finished it. i'm still happy i bought supcom and FA tho, the reason might be Square softs involvement that company is getting more n more greedy. Without straying too much of topic i'll leave it at that
  3. tankhunter678

tankhunter678 New Member

My personal beef with Supcom 2 was that it was not really Supcom at all and did not really stick to its lineage. Yes the economy system in Supcom 1 was confusing in its finer intricacies, but the economy design was not bad overall, just in need of tuning to make it more easily reliable and understandable. Which the PA team has done. Supcom 2 took the easy way out and instead just went with the CnC/Starcraft style economy, which does not work very well in a game designed for strategic planning ahead of your base construction, and mass expenditure to create large scale, not small scale, armies unlike what is found in other RTS games. Which made the ability to turn massive amounts of power into massive amounts of mass pretty much necessary, since it was the best way to power your economy once you became able to do it.

The research system was somewhat gimmicky, and did not really fit in with Supcom style gameplay, while yes it did prevent units from becoming obsolete, it turned every unit into a generic unit, with no unit being very innovative in its design or approach to its role. Units had their role, and then they became generalized from there the further you went down the research tree.
  4. furlock

furlock Member

Interesting. I did like having the units not become obsolete, but I can see what you're saying, and yeah, the research tree did make the specialized units become less specialized, which I can definitely see as a problem. Taking the UEF, the assault bots can pretty much do everything, with the exception of torpedoes for anti-naval capabilities. If you were just having a ground and air battle with someone, you could just spam assault bots and never even build an air factory, let alone touch anti-air bots. I can definitely see that feeling cheap, and taking a lot of strategy out of the game.
  5. ALBINOsnowball

ALBINOsnowball New Member

It seems that the great transgression of supcom2, as stated a multitude of times already, is that it is dissimilar to FA.

Now that I have stated the obvious, let me suggest the Revamp Expansion mod:

http://www.moddb.com/mods/revamp-mod

This mod will (hasn't been released) make supcom2 much more similar to FA, including five tech levels, which means hordes of new units and a new tech tree, new weapons affects (weapons will now fire their projectiles at (edit:) different times now. As in, the UEF AA will always shoot out of its four guns at the same time, but no longer!), a new unit cap (up to 2000), new movement speeds, new balance changes (experimentals are actually experimental, not just bigger units to be spammed), and other goodies.

An older released version ports FA units into the game. Just FYI.

If you are displeased with supcom2 as-is, take a look. And that there ends my speech. Hope it was helpful...
    Last edited: March 16, 2013
  6. furlock

furlock Member

Ooooooh, that does sound interesting!
  7. drsinistar

drsinistar Member

I'm surprised that you haven't played it. I enjoy the mod, except for the ridiculously OP Prototype turrets. Those things will take a steamy dump on anything that comes near your base. Doesn't help that the AI build them too. :/
  8. ALBINOsnowball

ALBINOsnowball New Member

Just for fairness, I suppose I should also spread the word about SupCom2013, which just came out at the beginning of this month. It basically fixes a TON of bugs (the changelog is massive), as well as adding a couple of units and changing the scale of the units (which revamp does too, I forgot to add...). Plus various other perks, such as the increased unit cap. Also on the same website...

http://www.moddb.com/mods/supreme-commander-2-0-1-3

If adding a whole bunch of units isn't too terribly interesting, this may be the better choice. And those two mods are pretty much all that exist. That is, there are lots (meaning 10-15) of minimods, but only 2 major ones (that I know of).
  9. furlock

furlock Member

In line with that, I just got a notification about an official fix just earlier today, oddly enough. Was quite surprised to see it, to be honest.
  10. Raevn

Raevn Moderator Alumni

I saw that too... an official patch 3 years after the last :shock:
    http://forums.uberent.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=44596
  11. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

I am so excited right now!

sdhsshOHSJOHSHFOHWFUHVWUFVUWDH

These changes look awesome!
  12. furlock

furlock Member

Yeah, seriously... it really came out of the blue!