whould you buy dlc for pro udates

Discussion in 'Monday Night Combat 360 Wishlist' started by komanderkyle, August 12, 2010.

1. intelekt

intelekt New Member

OMG the MW2 haters club is here again... go flame infinity wards forums fanboy.. Seriously, MW2 has more active players than anything since Halo 3... hate your lack of skill, or play BFBC2 or give up on FPS games.. But no one cares that you dont like this or that game... Talk about MNC, and talk about the DLC like the thread states... Child.
  2. The_Jx4

The_Jx4 New Member

Thanks to you, I don't even have to post anymore. You say everything I would, but so much better.

Good job comrade.
    Now let's steer this thing back ontopic.

Free DLC = No. Nuff said.
  3. AssassinsGoneWild

AssassinsGoneWild New Member

I didn't realize getting an A IN MY Economics class at 18 made me as experienced as a twelve year old. I want free DLC to avoid half of the players not buying it and having 10+ minute que times, I'm more than willing to pay for it but thanks for trying to call me a bum.

ALso, please explain to me how Valve, a company that was once in the possition UBER is now, can not be used as an example of a distributer of successful free DLC. I fail to understand that them being a PC developer somehow makes them exempt from comparison, it makes no difference. Also notice how Valve is making Portal 2 for the PS3 and is not going to charge for their DLC on that platform (or at least Gabe Newman said Sony would allow full Steam access on the PS3, kind of wish I had a PS3 sometimes...)

Granted, I know Micro$oft is going to milk this game for all they can, as they do with many (most) XBOX games and screwing with their communities, I'm just saying ITZ BAD M'KAY???

Free DLC would be more than possible and would build up the community (which Uber needs to do so people buy their games) much more so than charging for content that should have been included in the game, Arcade title or not.

INB4 someone calls me a bum even though I already said I'm going to pay for any DLC UBER releases for MNC (I know this is the second time in this post I've brought this up, but I know it's going to happen anyway).
    Last edited: August 13, 2010
  4. AssassinsGoneWild

TF2 currently doesn't have any DLC available for the XBOX yet anyway, and Microsoft is forcing Valve to charge for their DLC because Microsoft is...

Know what, I'm done arguing, I'm not looking forward to 10+ minute que times, but I'll enjoy the DLC that UBER puts out even though it should have been included in the origional game.

And slightly off topic, I finally got a 30+ K/D ratio in a game tonight while playing a Tank. WUT NAO?!!?!?
  5. intelekt

intelekt New Member

Valve was NEVER in UBER's position, you have admitted previously to NOT knowing their history.. But I wil tell you that funding was NEVER an issue for Valve.. they also started their company in a PEAK ECONOMY.. Uber is trying to survive in an industry where whole studios are closing EVERY MONTH!

I appreciate you saying you will buy and support MNC, and admit I did not see that in your very long and complaint filled post.

However the matter of the fact is, Valve can afford now to give FREE content out because they sell OTHER developer's Games on their Steam Client... They get a percentage of the sales... Uber is not in a position to do so...

Also.. PC and Xbox sales are not compared in the industry.. If you have ever visited a Gamestop or Best Buy, you will notice the amount of PC titles and copies of them are much smaller than the Console section...

The point is.. at the $15 price point, Uber would be insane to give FREE content out.. They have already shown on the release date, that the community is going to be strong, and anyone who is not willing to pay for future DLC will simply miss out on the best XBLA game ever released.. However this is a matter of opinion..

JX4 thank you for your comment. And Assassin, Your highschool econ grade means very little to me, have kids, bills, and a job in the gaming industry before you ask the hardworing people of Uber to work hard for months without any return.
  6. intelekt

intelekt New Member

You are wrong... Themes and Gamerpics are considered DLC they are content.. playable or not... and they are not free.

Also Microsoft does not "Make" any developer charge for DLC... it it the choice of the Developer... on top of which VALVE DID NOT DEVELOP TF2!!!!!!! It was created by PANDEMIC studios... A Studio that has since CLOSED ITS DOORS!!! Valve simply sold the game...

You should research before writing these posts.. your information is un-verified and blatently wrong..

I think you should spend more time reading...
  7. The_Jx4

The_Jx4 New Member

*May Pandemic R.I.P.*

I'll say one thing; the Platform a game is on changes everything.
  8. AssassinsGoneWild

I don't see anything on Wikipedia that even mentions Pandemic Studios, it reads that TF classic started as a Quake mod (and was downloadable for free, just throwing that out there...), and TF2 was completely developed by Valve for almost a decade. Either I'm reading the wikipedia wrong or you're wrong, which is it? (INB4 wikipedia is not a viable source)

As for the DLC, it doesn't make sense to make something on the PC free then suddenly change your mind and charge for it on the XBOX, either Microsoft said they had to charge for DLC or Valve suddenly had a change of heart. (And I was thinking more along of things that mattered such as maps and weapons, you can get those themes and pics for free on the PC version if you really wanted them)

Not to mention your arguments aren't exactly perfect either, not going to get into why, don't feel like it, don't give a ****.

There are two/three things I do all day, play video games, or read books for college/do homework. No, I don't think I need to read more.

Okay now I'm REALLY done arguing, but I can't believe you didn't comment on my 30 K/D ratio as a tank....
  9. The_Jx4

The_Jx4 New Member

Let me explain the Valve process.

Some group makes a mod that turns out to be awesome, and gets a huge fanbase.
    Valve hires them.
    That same team and a huge group of other people make a sequel and something new.
    Bam, published under Valve.

Capitalism.

The L4D guys, came from a game called Alien Swarm, a UkT2004 mod.
    Then they re-made it as a free steam game.
    It's a basic cycle.

Pandemic made the TF2 for Xbox. The original guys did the PC version, same thing with Left 4 Dead. Some other company was hired for the Xbox version.
  10. AssassinsGoneWild

And wikipedia doesn't mention any of that...

/sue wikipedia
  11. The_Jx4

The_Jx4 New Member

lmao, that's why Wikipedia should be your source for gaming history. :D
    There are gaming centered sites for such things.
  12. Sengoku no Maou

Sengoku no Maou New Member

Maps? Yes. Changes to classes beyond balancing and tweaks? No.
  13. intelekt

intelekt New Member

AssassinsGoneWild wikipedia can be edited by ANYONE.. any joe shmoe can write whatever... that site is about as reliable as Yahoo Answers...

My guess is when Valve was releaseing Half Life you were bottle feeding.. making up information is a good way to lose all credibility.. Along with asking for free stuff... both of which you have done in this thread..

I agree btw Pandemic was a fantastic Studio... with some EXTREMELY talented people working for them... I should know... :(
  14. LuNatic

LuNatic New Member

You say this like its a bad thing. By hiring Mod devs Valve reward them for their efforts, and guarantee to support the games in the future. They also throw in their own own resources so that the finished games get professional voice acting and excellent amounts of polish. And then they sell the games for really low prices. Example: I live in Australia. I pre-ordered L4D for less than $40USD. If Activi$ion or EA had published it, they would have charged me $90-$100USD(Yep, they really charge this much for games on this side of the pond).

Prior to XBox Live, there was no such thing as DLC. New content came in unpaid patches, and it hardly killed the industry. Sure, some games had expansion packs, but for the price of 2-3 DLCs they contained almost enough content for an entirely new game(most of the time).

Truthfully, I'm more worried about DLC splitting the community up into haves and have-nots. If there was a way to release content without doing this(I suggest a new gamemode with ~5 maps, so the people who buy it can still go into the crossfire match-making and integrate with the have-nots seamlessly)
  15. Tigerfox 360

Tigerfox 360 New Member

Free dlc? this game is a STEAL at 15 bucks, and i WANT to pay for more.
    add another 4 maps, 800 points? SURE!
    add a new game mode? 800 more points? hell yes.

this games a huge hit, but these guys have to eat.

Uber, heres the deal, you keep making stuff for this game, we'll keep playing.
    just please don't do what Valve done, in which the PC version has a million extra features, and the Xbox version is unchanged.
    show some love to the console gamers, were your 'original' fans ;) we love you more.
  16. intelekt

intelekt New Member

Unpaid patches were nearly a DECADE ago.. it just is not part of the industry standard anymore.. and it should not be.. reason being PIRATES ruined the industry by wanting everyting for FREE.. similar to those who want free content.. it is silly, you need to PAY for the work of the game developers.

Like I said in my previous post they have kids and bills too.. No one comes to the McDonalds you work at and asks for free Big Macs, unless they are a bum!

This argument that the DLC might split the community is ridiculous, Halo, MW, BFBC2 all have multiple DLC packs and still have HUGE communities and for FAR MORE $$!

The people who do not buy the DLC will be those who play on a casual, non regular basis. Anyone who is a real fan and player of the game, will purchase the DLC on the release date.. and if ANYONE thinks it is too expensive even at 15 bucks for DLC, should put down the Xbox controller and get a job/get a better job... Period..

I am really sick of people talking about free DLC, it is insulting to the Developers and the Game.. this game was worth well over 40 dollars and could have been boxed, but they wanted to have a large community so they set a price that would be UNBELIEVEABLE which it is... Which is what will make this one of the best selling XBLA titles in my opinion.
  17. Tigerfox 360

Tigerfox 360 New Member

though i don't get mad at the situation like intelekt,
    i've gotta agree with what he (i assume he) is saying.

15 bucks is the price of perhaps two trips to a fast food place like burger king or mc-donalds

if i pay that for the game, i get the game, 15 bucks isnt much for me.
    but when a 100,000 people each buy the game, then that means Uber can justify more work on the project.
    it's their job, and if your not paid for you job, your not going to work.
  18. LuNatic

LuNatic New Member

Don't believe everything the lobbyists tell you. The games industry is doing fine, even the PC side. The sales figures you see don't include digital distribution, nor do they take into account subscription based games. To use your example, just look at BFBC2 the (legitimate) PC players outnumber all the console players combined.

They survive, but the for the ones with DLC that locks out non-purchasers, like Halo, the community has suffered. Just look at the numbers of people on the original playlists now, compared to what they used to be.

So, anyone who disagrees with you isn't a 'real' fan? Nice argument there. As for being too expensive, there are people out there without credit cards, or with wives who monitor their credit cards, or simply don't see $15 for a handful of guns *cough*CoD*cough* as being good value for money. I'm not against DLC entirely; I'll buy if see value for money.

For you maybe, but value for money varies from person to person. Sure, this game is cheap for what it has, but for $40usd I wouldn't have bought; at least, not for this amount of content.
  19. yoomazir

yoomazir New Member

What I would like is the possibility to customize your characters with cosmetic items/colors
  20. intelekt

intelekt New Member

You are full of bad assumtions and I wish you would stop filling the forums with quotes, just refer to the previous post as I am going to do here:

My sales figures come from the comany I DEVELOP for.. Thats right, since you didnt read the rest of the forums, I develop games for ****** and am under a no compete contract. My particular company stopped developing for the PC long ago, and has been very lucrative in the Console only market, the games sell faster, and the DLC revenue allows for projects that would have never seen the light of day..

I am also a PC gamer, and I know there is still a large community of people who purchase games, however the late 90's early 2000's spawned a huge Pirateing base that took 35% or more of the purchase power for PC.

I work in the industry, Lobbyists? are you just another one of those peolpe who talks without knowing much? The gaming Lobby has nothing to do with DEVELOPERS, we get paid well enough, but I would never work on content I knew would be free.. It is a career and livelyhood for me and every other developer out there...