Who's got alpha?

Discussion in 'Backers Lounge (Read-only)' started by Spinewire, May 28, 2013.

1. tanksy

tanksy Member

I would probably use steam due to the ease of having everything in one place, and with the potentially massive player base compared to Uber's launcher. In today's market, (and also with a huge majority of gamers and now a substantial number of software users too) not having your thing on or linked to steam in some way has a high chance of leading to a small community, low sales, low numbers of players to destroy. Most game developers (Maybe less so for Indie developers as they probably don't have the funding, need a kick-starter, etc) should be aiming to build their game on Steam or at least be available to play through Steam. The simple fact that steam updates games and other software automatically, has an in-game overlay allowing you to browse the web, look up the community, chat with friends and see achievements and trading cards, makes Steam a much more attractive platform to people who want to keep their computer tidy and not packed with several launchers with accompanying bloat-ware for several games.

Steam's ease-of-use and the fact it keeps everything together in one neat place is enough for anyone to want it. Also, it lets you launch non-steam products so you can get the in-game overlay, with the sacrifice of not automatically updating or having a steam-based community.

I say, PA would thrive on Steam. It would most likely work just like Planetside 2 - in the sense that all steam does is launch the launcher and allow the in-game overlay.
  2. thedbp

thedbp Member

I have a chrome icon letting me know how many unread messages I have in my inbox, every time it goes "1" I go:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    and then
    [​IMG]
    When I realize that it's just something else.
  3. brandonpotter

brandonpotter Well-Known Member

Backers should be getting it soon, hopefully >-< Im excited to start modding XD
  4. deso88

deso88 Member

This.
  5. zaphodx

zaphodx Post Master General

^
  6. infuscoletum

infuscoletum Active Member

Steam has always worked for me, except in very few cases. SupCom/FA being one of them. Steam crashes if I run it from the steam:// link, but runs fine (and still uses steam overlay correct, if I remember correct) if I run the SupremeCommander.exe.

I'll prolly run the Uber launcher for a while (maybe till beta) until things get stabler, but like I've said before, I love steam for 3 reasons: easy backup/restore (drag the steamapps folder around, verify file cache) of A LARGE AMOUNT OF GAMES, auto updating (plus, the game should always be available, even if uber disbands for unforseeable reasons), and the last reason being the steam overlay/chat no matter what game I'm playing on steam.

(Damnit. That's not even a sentence up there :()
  7. cwarner7264

cwarner7264 Moderator Alumni

Phone email push pings when I get an email. Otherwise as above.
  8. Oxcorp

Oxcorp New Member

Can't wait for Beta, only two days away :p
  9. teradyn

teradyn Member

Fixed that for ya.
  10. fellowplanet

fellowplanet New Member

11. theseeker2

theseeker2 Well-Known Member

Steam is nothing but a disgusting, invasive, DRM.
  12. Z3K0N15

Z3K0N15 Active Member

13. neutrino

neutrino low mass particle Uber Employee

Steam is 70-80% of the online distribution market.
  14. triaxius

triaxius New Member

Sad, lonely inbox...
  15. teradyn

teradyn Member

Me too.... :cry:
  16. eyecu247

eyecu247 Member

That is ALOT more then I would have ever imagined!
    By getting Steam on board, you may have just bought every Uber coder a house or two.
    Yes, I do expect you to sell a lot of copies of this game. By my word of mouth alone, you have already sold a few, and I can see 10 others buying it. And I don't know many PC gamers.... Most people I know are like me with a wife and kids. 95% of them play games on a console (I do have a PS3).
    Its funny as my PC is already more powerful than both the new PS4 and xBox One. I find all of the new consoles (hard ware wise) not too exciting, but may buy a PS4, just because it has AMD parts.

Good luck on this game! I haven't received my Alpha yet, but already have a ESXi box up and running I plan to run a PA server on. Currently plan server to be private for a few friends of mine...
  17. memorykill

memorykill New Member

Just 1 day till steam EE, guess ill be in that crowd! come on emaillllll.
  18. infuscoletum

infuscoletum Active Member

This does NOT surprise me AT ALL. 70 of my 100 or so games are on it. Another 16 are on origin. 3 of the others are blizzards titles, and all the rest are either not available on steam (TA, Halo, etc), or I just haven't bothered to purchase steam versions.

Out of the 3 major updater/launchers (blizz, origin, steam) I have had almost zero problems with steam. None. Never had it lock me out. Never had problems with payment methods. Never had problems with game installs or updates. Never had it update loop. Never had problems with startup on boot. All these but the locking out have been problems with origin, AND blizzard (sans payment, cus that'd be my browsers fault if it happend).

I've had a grand total of 2 problems with steam:

1) Once, I had to manually change some filenames to get ONE self update to install. Took me about 60 seconds to find a solution on steams forums, and about 30 to execute.

2) Supreme Commander and SC:Forged Alliance need to be launched from the exe file instead of the steam:// url. B.F.D. I originally bought them on impulse (which I had more problems with than origin!) since that was the only place to get them at that time. I was actually PLEASED when I re-installed them through what is now gamestop and it popped up that I needed to enter a key into steam. I actually had to download the games FULLY even though I had impulse archives from the original install. The problem wasn't that gamestop didn't support old impulse packages, but that impulse locks archives in a way that you can only use it on the original system and OS that the archive was created on. Not much of a backup.

Sorry for the rant, but I've had steam on my computer fairly consistently since half-life 2 days. Which reminds me of a 3rd problem, which I guess is "steam locked me out", but more of a I just couldn't get my account back since I couldn't remember my username or password AT ALL (I've still never figured out what it was [EDIT: the reason I forgot, was an OS reinstall cleared {obviously} my steam account data, and I relyed too much on steam remembering it for me]) and the e-mail for it was LONG BEFORE killed by my lack of checking my hotmail. So pretty much my own fault, and the only game on it WAS half-life 2, so it wasn't all that big of a loss.

So ya, TL/DR Steam = no problems that weren't TOTALLY my fault, or not really problems at all. Other launchers, not so much.

/sigh
  19. wemlock

wemlock Member

Any of the $90 got keys yet ?
  20. garat

garat Cat Herder Uber Alumni

No. :)

We are not sending out more keys til the morning. We need a while to see how stable the current builds are before we throw the horde at it.