Who's got alpha?

Discussion in 'Backers Lounge (Read-only)' started by Spinewire, May 28, 2013.

1. krashkourse

krashkourse Member

Posting if you have it is just trolley and gets this community no where
  2. toorvis

toorvis Member

Posting on the 5th I can confirm I haven't gotten any Alpha Key yet. Atleast not on my mail that is.

Don't have the possibility to check steam or anything at the moment as I'm working offshore but I guess no one has gotten it yet unless they're 5k or above backers.

Anyways, I'm not that impatient anyway. Uber can use all the time they need because I'll be staying out here until 3rd of july :3

to all the others that will be lucky enough to play it earlier, please enjoy the game and do your DUTY as an alpha player and help Uber find bugs and polish the game! That's why we get this privilege!

Cheers!
    ยจ~ Chris
  3. garatgh

garatgh Active Member

I dont think anyone has gotten alpha yet.

The last thing neutrino posted was:

So we will have to wait until they get to the office and fix said problems today. (And yes, its a alpha, there will be plenty of "issues", they just wanna fix some of the biggest confusing ones before we start testing).
  4. jubez81

jubez81 New Member

Need to organise time off work. Hanging for this any sort of heads up would be appreciated. Hope we get before steam people.
  5. branly

branly New Member

I hope its gonna be before my vacation :(. Still nothing.
  6. pudeldestodes

pudeldestodes Member

of course not, the dev's should be asleep by now ;) as garatgh quoted neutrino: they will head in early today so i guess we do not have to expect anything new within the next couple of hours
  7. LennardF1989

LennardF1989 Uber Contractor

As stated in this topic, everyone will get his access before the Steam Early Access program starts. This is currently set to the 7th, but this, in all likely hood, will be postponed to early next week.
  8. ephoscus

ephoscus Member

I suspect some will get to play it today, the rest tomorrow & then you can decide to turn it into a steam key on Friday.

Note I say "get to play" not "get the key" because those of us on this side of the pond are likely to get a key too late to play/debug an alpha. Work -> then play -> then rest to work again.
  9. garatgh

garatgh Active Member

I doubt you will be able to turn your alpha key into a steam alpha key.

They have confirmed turning a game key (as in commercial release "finished" game key) into a steam game key, but i dont realy see why they would bother with turning a alpha or beta key into their steam versions.
  10. liamdawe

liamdawe Active Member

If they have the game on Steam in Early Access for other people to get it there why wouldn't they allow us to turn it into a Steam key now? It would make no sense to postpone allow people to change it until the retail release.
  11. garatgh

garatgh Active Member

It costs work to transfer keys, thats why i dont realy see the point in having to turn the alpha/beta keys into steam alpha/beta keys now instead of making it easy and using the real game keys later.

But i might be wrong.
    Last edited: June 5, 2013
  12. numptyscrub

numptyscrub Member

Actually, what I read into garat and neutrinos comments on Uber->Steam key swaps was that this option is going to be available immediately that the Steam early access goes live, giving people who wish to play / update through Steam the option to do so for the alpha, as well as through beta and release.

You will effectively be linking your Steam account to your Uber account, and once Steam knows to activate your access you'll be good to go the same as if you play using the Ubernet client.
  13. garatgh

garatgh Active Member

Then im wrong (damn twice in two days, this alpha release is making me lose focus).
  14. ephoscus

ephoscus Member

You know what they've said sort of implies they've already uploaded the keys to steam - it's the sort of thing you can do, test works, prove it well before you're even going for Alpha launch - one less thing to worry about.

It means they can fully control the hand out of the keys direct via email and leave steam to sort it's self out.
  15. teradyn

teradyn Member

You will want to be careful. The transfer of your key to Steam is a one way trip. Not sure if there is any reason to leave the key as an Ubernet key, but just wanted to point that out.
  16. Nahtonaj

Nahtonaj Member

Personally, I don't trust Steam. There have been times that have been such a hassel to get a game to work. They can be glitchy. I am personally going to download the Uber client to run PA. Don't want to mess with Steam if I don't have to. Especially with a certified glitchy alpha release.
  17. ephoscus

ephoscus Member

Depends on how things are done - there's a number of games that do the initial down via steam but then all updates are done via the game client - Assassins Creed, eveonline etc...

The only advantage being in this case with steam is having one place to launch all games.
  18. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

My Desktop could do the same. I think it is more about downloading the games.
  19. 1337haxwtg

1337haxwtg Member

I've always liked Steam. The sales, the ease of use, etc. It gives a nice centralized area to play and manage games, share gifts, and cry over having 200+ games and no time to play them all.

It would be nice if running the client was optional to launch games, but at least you can appear as offline. The ability to appear offline is what makes or breaks mandatory digital distribution programs and online features of games for me. It is a major gripe I have with StarCraft's Battle.net, and why I am hesitant to add ANYONE outside of close friends on there. I hate logging in to spam from people wanting to play when all I want to do is skirmish the AI a couple of times while I eat my dinner.

I've also never had any serious bugs or issues with Steam. I think I did many years ago, but that was when Steam was new. It's really matured since then.
    Last edited: June 5, 2013
  20. liamdawe

liamdawe Active Member

Actually it's done automatically once a system is in place so it won't require any extra work once they have the actual system done their end, many many developers already offer it.

Personally I only use Steam to make sure games are up to date and speak to friends both of which i should be able to do on Uber anyway. So this is one game i won't use Steam for.