Who's got alpha?

Discussion in 'Backers Lounge (Read-only)' started by Spinewire, May 28, 2013.

1. warlockgs

warlockgs Member

I got my first personal computer when I was 8, a Tandy Color Computer 2. I'd spend all weekend long inputting games by hand in BASIC so I could play Hobbit, or Lemonade or Pong... only to get kicked off the computer by my sisters the second I had a running game, with them claiming I'd been "hogging the computer all weekend". And they wonder why I don't visit for the holidays.
  2. numptyscrub

numptyscrub Member

Methinks thou dost protest too much :p

My first gaming experience was on a Grandstand branded pong + lightgun console (it was a rebrand of someone else's, but I can never remember which one), which would have been mid-late 70s. We replaced it with an Atari VCS (the wood effect 2600), so it would have been prior to 1978. Both would work directly with a TV, without needing thermal printouts for screen updates ;)

When you look back though, it is utterly astounding how much progress has been made in such a (relatively) short time; my current phone has more processing power than the university mainframe had when I was studying there. It also has more storage available than the entire fileserver infrastructure had at the first major company I worked at. I try not to think of things that way, because that's when I start feeling old :cry:
  3. brandonpotter

brandonpotter Well-Known Member

Super excited for the Alpha <3

Could get it anyday now. And when I do, Imma gonna be busy with starting to mod :3
  4. nanolathe

nanolathe Post Master General

:roll:

I really think you're assuming too much there.
  5. veta

veta Active Member

6. logarythme

logarythme New Member

I have a question that's been bugging me for a while now. That need for modding that some people seems to have, I can't explain it. Why would you mod an alpha game (so, not even remotely feature-complete)? I mean, why would people even play a mod when they're supposed to test the actual game? I thought mods were for when you're bored of playing a game so much you want to change it a little (as in like: I played Skyrim 80 hours, so I would like to see a different take on the gameplay), so you feel like you're already bored of a game you never even played?
  7. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

Some people might want to play the game under different circumstances, with changes more to their liking.

At this stage, it might be to just get a lay of the coding they will be dealing with.
  8. xcupx

xcupx Member

Yeah, I hope you don't mod it, cause it to crash and then tell the devs about it so they spend hours/days trying to figure out what's wrong only to find out it was your mod that caused the crash. Alpha is about testing their game, not about messing with it before its even confirmed stable in its own right.
  9. zaphodx

zaphodx Post Master General

I imagine modders want to practice and get to grips with what they can do. I don't think they are necessarily planning to release mods before it's close to finished.
  10. Col_Jessep

Col_Jessep Moderator Alumni

You do it to see what is possible and how to do it. You can bet that I'll have a look under the hood. And I'll make a mod if I can think of something that is useful.

Some of the improvements in FA were heavily inspired by popular community mods. Modding is a great way to test ideas without distracting the developers from building the core game. If the emerging ideas are good they might very well influence the game development. As far as I'm concerned: the sooner the modding begins the better.
  11. pantsburgh

pantsburgh Active Member

If you got a Lego set that was in alpha, would you not try building other stuff with it?

It's less about mods being needed for consumption, and more about the joys of learning and building.
  12. nanolathe

nanolathe Post Master General

If you guys honestly think that Uber will relinquish access to the servers or let you into the game files to tinker about with anything client-side and allow you to mod anything at this early stage you're delusional.

Seriously guys, stop getting your hopes up about modding the Alpha on day one. You are not testing the modding scope of the game... You are testing the GAME itself.

Once the game itself is stable, then you can try modding it client-side.

Once Client-side mods work, then Uber might let you upload stuff for server-side Mods.

But first comes the base game and all the bugs and problems that need to be settled before you can mod squat.

---

Sorry to be so harsh, but you're putting the horse before the cart.
    To use the lego example above;

You're asking for Uber to let you build stuff when you only have a dozen lego bricks and none of the lego nubs connect properly with each other yet... and sometimes the bricks explode.
    Last edited: May 30, 2013
  13. monkeyulize

monkeyulize Active Member

False equivalency, legos are nothing like a videogame.
  14. garat

garat Cat Herder Uber Alumni

Spectacularly. :)

You will not be able to mod in any meaningful way on day one of alpha. You'll be able to start exploring client side files, and see various things, but the scope of moddability will be effectively zero, at least at first. As we keep saying, everything is being layered on iteratively. You don't put all the tools in your workshop before you've built all the walls and a roof.
  15. exavier724

exavier724 Member

That and its probably a good idea to keep modding disabled until your sure everything is stable. Easier to debug when you don't have to worry about someone having an active mod when they send you a bug notice. :p
  16. ycnz

ycnz New Member

You're clearly unfamiliar with my woodworking operations.
  17. SXX

SXX Post Master General

There is really no way to disable client-side modding (edit menus, replace some textures or models, patch memory). You technically can add some content-check or something like that, but I don't think Uber will do that. They have much more problems to care about.
    Last edited: May 30, 2013
  18. garat

garat Cat Herder Uber Alumni

If you're ok with rust, I won't argue. :)
  19. cobycohodas

cobycohodas Member

Pretty freaking excited!!!!! Looking forward to the email.
  20. paulakg4

paulakg4 New Member

So lets just say for argument sake you have crazy strict spam enforcement on your email - or for whatever reason you never receive the email...

Where else could we go to see if we have been given access to the alpha?