Who wants to reboot Galactic War ?

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by tatsujb, March 1, 2015.

?

Scrap GW and make new one?

1. Yay / Obi Wan Kenobi

79.3%
  2. Nay / The dress is gold and white I tell you!

6.9%
  3. Meh /other idea .....

13.8%
  1. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

How about somma dat good ol' iteration we were promised during the KS campaign?

GW is......less than underwhelming. Save or no save. MP or not MP. I don't see it as enticing to strip myself of techs for the good glory of cthulhu.

So I propose to iterate on it. I saw the hidden GW files, it was the same concept albeit a tad bit too ambitious, which was why it was switched to the current one.

As I understand it... basically the same thing. Ergo GW was never iterated on.

That's a little unfair compared to it's peers, orbital warfare, camera, UI, strategic icons, pathfinding, AI, terrain generation, water, HDR, ect....

GW deserves it's second shot.

I propose scrapping it for something better.

I'd like to hear each defendant state what they find commendable/salvageable about GW as is VS, how badly it sux rather then have a stale "Keep it!" - "Ditch it!"

debate!
    Last edited: March 1, 2015
    bradaz85 and Spododo like this.
  2. Debosse

Debosse Member

Honestly I had/have really high hopes for gw but I really would like to see the rest of the game flushed out before they even consider this. Perhaps as some sort of expansion in the future, featuring mp, a proper research system, larger maps, support for multi day wars etc...
  3. brandonpotter

brandonpotter Well-Known Member

I gotta admit, the GW is a major disappointment atm, and it does need work...alot of work.
    warrenkc and bradaz85 like this.
  4. Remy561

Remy561 Post Master General

As I suggested a few times already, I think a RISK like GW metagame would be the one I'd love the most.

You claim territory, the AI claims territory and every victory leaves you an area to defend. Every turn you 'create' or find a certain amount of sub commanders and you should always leave one on every system. You can move sub commanders, so the front line could have 4 commanders defending and thus increasing your chance to survive when the enemy attacks.

Here the past tech system can stay (with no duplicates update) and the faction leaders can also stay. When a faction leader is taken out you can claim all their territory easily since there are now sub commanders any more, just like it is now. You win by killing all faction leaders which should be placed to defend the centre of your territory ;)

Here you fight and defend with like RISK, alias with subcommanders, so if you lose while attacking -> commanders lost. If you lose while defending, commanders and territory lost. The goal would be to kill the faction leaders, that you should hide deep within the territories.

(Another possibility would be to always fight with your faction leader which leaves the perma death in. So you always attack with your faction leader + possible sub commanders and defending happens with sub commanders only.)

This could be an awesome many hours metagame to play with a friend or against an AI and can easily be expanded upon for multiple players / factions. Would be very awesome if it supports online or turn based so me and my friends play when it is our turn or something ;).

When making the game turn-based and an enemy attacks me, it would be cool to fight it out with real battles against AI or friend. I know a single 'conquest' might now take many hours, but if you keep winning the total play time for GW stays the same ;)

Also add coop for fighting together in a team! (Which might require a minimum of 2 subcommanders defending so you can play the game as a shared team game? And where you have two faction leaders?)

Many awesome things are possible, and almost always this is better than the current galactic war we have now. So plz make this happen, I would play this for sooooo many hours!!! <3 :rolleyes::):D

-----------------------
    Text was copied and updated from what I wrote here: https://forums.uberent.com/threads/my-favorite-suggestions-for-galactic-war.68047/#post-1071336
  5. nixtempestas

nixtempestas Post Master General

The biggest missing feature in GW for me is the AI doesn't fight back on a galactic scale, it just sits there waiting for conquest.

Also, I think the idea of sub-commanders could really be expanded on. Specifically you can choose to leave them on a strategic system to bolster it's defense against an enemy attack, or bring it with you like it currently is for offensive purposes.

I would also like to see a more robust tech system. take the randomness out of it and allow us to pursue tech as we see fit, with research points (maybe multiple kinds of research points, like military, economic etc) instead, or some such.

Something on my not-likely-to-happen wishlist is more interaction between the galactic map and individual maps. For example, planetary upgrades (like a small starting base, or a network of basic radar towers) could be purchased in galactic view and they'll appear on the planets. Not likely i know, but would be cool.
  6. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

@tatsujb it's already confirmed by @jables to be next on the hit list after save load is sorted :)
  7. blightedmythos

blightedmythos Active Member

It really needs a lot of work. Tech trees would be a lot better then the current system. AI improvements. More interplay on the galactic map, maybe turns where the AI moves first. Random events or scenarios that can occur. Like a water world planet, or a map where both factions are in the same system. Or maybe the AI is turtling in a huge fortress before you get there. Things like that Would really help with how repetitive it becomes. I also would love to see commander upgrades and enhancements and some kind of co op system.

It's also very unbalanced with sub commanders. Since you only always play against one enemy. It's very easy and boring for 95% of the games. The last 5% when you have to fight 6 commanders at once are really fun and challenging. The game plays very fast paced. It's almost impossibly hard if you have no sub commanders and is a huge difficulty spike.
    Remy561 likes this.
  8. iacondios

iacondios Active Member

I think the idea of starting from basic tech, as well as the upgrades (who doesn't enjoy wrecking the enemy by storming their base with a 300% health 200% damage double build speed increased economy commander?) has some definite promise. The chain of standard, otherwise unrelated battles, needs work however. I find that GW encourages me to try different strategies, which I like. It would be interesting if we had gameplay like,:

You defeat the AI in a system for the first time. At the time, you had most of the planet in control, with a fair amount of forces left over. You move on to other systems.... but another AI comes and attacks your system! You reload the map, but this time there's a new AI presence. Perhaps they Unit Cannon'd in a bunch of forces to seige your base. Or they took over the moon that you had left unclaimed, and have some halleys in progress?!?!

This would add some measure of strategic planning in conquering a system. Do you hang back and fortify for future engagements, or quickly eradicate the AI first? Could perhaps impose some kind of time constraint to discourage leaving the AI within an inch of their life and turtling every planet.

Could also add persistence to the AI subcommanders, in lieu of multiplayer. E.g., the more battles they win, the more they become stronger / more intelligent. You can divert forces from other planets / commanders etc.

Well anyways, there should be some kind of persistence other than the tech tree you've unlocked. And the AI should not sit still whilst you conquer them one by one.
  9. tatsujb

: D : D : D : D : D : D : D

correct spelling saves lives
  10. tatsujb

wow didn't know that and it comes as a surprise.

I'm like a forum rookie all over again. I must not be lurking around here enough. where was this said?
  11. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

A while back, one of jables planned updates posts I think. I'm on my phone atm so can't really dig a link out for you. I'm pretty sure he said plan was to look at it again in the march April kinda time frame. He also more recently commented that the additions of the uc and new naval to gw didn't constitute the update so there's more to come basically...

Have a read through jables posts you should find it :)
  12. MadGreyOne

MadGreyOne Member

When it does happen, I'd really like to see a configurable loadout, even more than a research tree. I'm thinking something where you can pick penalties in some areas to allow you get bonuses/extra starting techs.

I'd also like to have prebuilt loadouts that are similar to the current ones, and give you small advantage over a custom loadout. That is, if you built the same loadout from scratch you would have bigger penalties or less starting items than using the prebuilt ones.
  13. mjshorty

mjshorty Well-Known Member

First issue, why are you always fighting 3 factions, no matter what size?
    in small i would like to just face 2 factions so i dont have to be forced into fighting leaders so quickly (though the blue and purple are easily exploitable) and in huge systems, your playing the game of *Find the Leader!* and should have 8-10 factions o_O a faction with about....5-10 systems each? would be a nice way to go
    Pendaelose likes this.
  14. exterminans

exterminans Post Master General

On the Steam forums. In the February "Dev Post -Upcomming work update!".

I think @jables forgot to copy that post to this forum as well.
    tatsujb likes this.
  15. tatsujb

16. tatsujb

that is in no way a confirmed anything.

that's just : "if it does end up getting worked on, we get to say we told you so, if it doesn't no harm no foul"*

EDIT : Side note: holy shieeeet the vote counter!
  17. theseeker2

theseeker2 Well-Known Member

18. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

n..no?

Edit:

Anywho, GW.......right right GW.............

I dunno about you guys but having the standard RTS answer of "risk map" bolted on top of skirmish games got boring ages ago, let along now.

And it's far to easy of a trap to fall into, "yeah a risk map! That sounds like fun right?!!" no, frankly it's the most unoriginal kind of map due to the fact that at the base level, risk is kind of a boring board game.....especially if the RTS that uses one ALSO uses dice.........it's just awful.

"But Ign, you can just rip apart an idea without being constructive, that's just rude to tstsujb!" Quite right voice in my head, so what do I propose?

A diverse selection of missions, all capable of RNG for our RNG maps, along with set missions for our non RNG missions, combined with a dynamic political system to help maintain balance of the sides overall automagicaly.

Now what was that I just vomited on my keyboard?

Lets break it down:

1. Mission type selection for RNG maps:
    Mission types could include the standard annihilation, defend the target, assassinate the target, regicide, king of the planet, king of the artefact, king of the metal, war-zone (3 factions), total war (all 4 factions), espionage, spy, sabotage and war games (Train friendly AI's) missions that could cover a wide array of possible scenarios and set ups across the already wide range of systems possible.

A spy mission where your commander is attempting to breach a enemy base and steal their T2 bot tech while maintaining less then 100 units?
    A total war mission where the players fight across the graveyard of a civilisation that has long since mined all the worlds?
    A King of the artefact mission that has you capturing and holding a crashed progenitor ship to possibly discover their fate....or seal it?
    A defend the target mission where you need to keep your planetary scorcher device safe long enough for it to cleanse the system of life?

All depending on the standing forces these missions could also dramatically change, form a king of the planet against 1 AI commander, to a squad of 6 commanders on both sides comboxxing across a small moon.

The possibility's are literally endless.

2. Set mission maps for set maps:

Set missions, like the destruction of a faction leader could be full on scripted events featuring century old strongholds being invaded by not only the player and their warband, but the faction they represent sending in their own coms to act as a time saver to give the player time to set up and relive the counter attack on his allies, leading to a hour long siege where the factions commander's use all of the tricks up their sleeve to smash and annihilate their way to victory.

A Synchronous metal planet system, armed to the teeth with line after line of factory, tower and the almighty catalysts?
    A Legionis water world, filled with hidden bays and reefs , hiding away a vast armada beneath the eternal hurricanes?
    A Revenant asteroid belt, covered in ion cannons and orbited by a literal armada of satellites and weaponized rocks?
    Or a Foundation ice world, frozen to the core and skimmed by the galaxys largest airforce, ready to stir the Glacier into incinerated infernos with wave after wave of bombs, rockets atomic weapons?

3. Dynamic diplomatic system that rewards smaller factions fighting the bigger one:
    Ever played Crusader kings? What about Europa universalis?
    The key here is to provide incentives and rewards to disadvantaged players for uniting against a conman foe, player and AI alike without them ever actually allying officially, small objectives that give a boon to the losing sides of the war to unite against the stronger opponent, possibly even letting them work together on operations to strike a common foe.

A system that would allow these former enemys to not only work together, temporally against their foe on the battlefield but to be incentivized to fight the harder battle rather then picking on a mostly defeated foe, rewards like obtaining a portion of their oppositions strength directly, and even hurting their ability to perform certain actions that could have been used in retaliation.

These are my idea, tied in with much............MUCH greater inclusion of the story, lore and even character commanders to bring this world to life.

It's the least that could be done really.
    Last edited: March 2, 2015
    sierra159, knub23, Pendaelose and 3 others like this.
  19. tatsujb

@igncom1 :D err, how to put this?...

awkward applause?

I dunno about you but I get the feeling that just about 99.9% of people who want GW redone DON'T want a risk-like.

I mean so far in the thread only one person wanted that...
    this isn't a : upload_2015-3-2_18-57-39.jpeg "EITHER WHAT WE HAVE NOW .... OR RISK!!" situation.

we actually get the whole macrocosm of inventive choices to choose from.

You know where I stand with this....

I personally don't want to change it that much apart from AI reconquers, when a world is under attack you get to defend it, recall function, no tech handicap, gating in units from other systems and a serious axing onto the multiplayer version of it.

basically copy-paste FAF's GW.

yes it's that good. :p

that said your mission based idea is also a new solution that I quite like!

..Still prefer mine! :p
    Pendaelose and igncom1 like this.
  20. Remy561

Remy561 Post Master General

Okay you win :p

But your recommendation would take the a lot more work than making a risk-ish system. So I hope uber combines the best parts of all suggestions (without RISK's luck systems, luck shouldn't be a factor) to get to a very very awesome galactic war campaign experience!!! Only time will tell!
    igncom1 likes this.