What's up with Mac and Linux?

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by neutrino, June 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SXX

SXX Post Master General

By default app on Linux/Mac OS X give same amount of debug information, it's only depends on how developers built it. But if you want to debug it you got same tools on OSX and Linux both.
  2. dmcdominic

dmcdominic New Member

I got the $90 alpha key today, and when i opened the download link from the email and opened the application, it said it wouldn't work because it's for windows, and i have a mac. What should I do?
  3. sylvesterink

sylvesterink Active Member

Read the first post in this thread. It's generally a good idea to read at very least the first post in a thread before replying to it.
  4. neutrino

neutrino low mass particle Uber Employee

We are working hard on these other versions btw.
  5. eeyrjmr

eeyrjmr Member

Well any help then just fire away EVEN if it is a version that would crash and more to test build and packaging.
  6. boggerm

boggerm New Member

I might sound a bit like a idiot because it may not be released yet, but where is the mac build. :p
  7. SXX

SXX Post Master General

Developers working on it:
    viewtopic.php?f=61&t=47371
  8. geopirate

geopirate New Member

I have UT3 still in the plastic on a shelf to remind me of the false promises developers make sometimes, but reading through this has restored my faith. I eagerly await trying to get the Linux build to work :cool:
  9. ucsgolan

ucsgolan Member

Just waiting for Mac version. :)
  10. boredmatt

boredmatt New Member

I'm checking multiple times daily for the Mac version, I can't wait. So excited to get in there and start playing / looking for bugs.
  11. neutrino

Checking multiple times a day is silly. It's not going to be today (or even probably tomorrow since we are launching on Steam).

We have a few people right now dedicated to getting the mac build cleaned up so it's releasable and it will be soon.
  12. optica1x

optica1x Member

Sucks waiting, personaly waiting for the 32bit version. its like hanging a carrot on a stick! for people like me who work stupid shifts i get kinda inpatient about stuff like this, since iv pooled in $90 of my money into it :/
  13. neutrino

Hopefully that will be released soon as well. It actually seems to work just fine but we don't have the distribution side of it setup yet.
  14. optica1x

optica1x Member

Will it be before sunday? kinda hoping to play it before i go back to work sunday morning!
  15. garat

garat Cat Herder Uber Alumni

We don't, and rarely have, given ETAs. What more can we say beyond we're working hard on it? It is the sole focus of a couple people here right now - which, for a company this small, is a significant allocation of the team toward a single problem. If we say "Sure, it'll be ready by x day", guess what happens? We have a horde of angry people if we miss it.
  16. rod009

rod009 New Member

My Windows machine is too old.

Intel Quadcore
    4 GB RAM
    Geforce 8800GTX 768MB
    Windows 7

The game runs correctly at the beginning but after a few minutes performance is getting slower and slower to the point nothing responding correctly. I think it may be due to insufficient Free RAM. Or the maybe the graphic card that is not powerful enough.

The whole system has a hard time responding (RAM?) and the CPU is not even reaching 10% usage with some freezing moments. CPU raise to 50% - 70% as soon as the game start responding a bit. (I'm lucky if I get 10 fps, more like 4 fps or even less.)

My Mac is more powerful so I'm going to wait for the Mac version. And at least I could play around 5 min before it gets to slow.

Thanks for the hard work ! :)
  17. rod009

rod009 New Member

Are we going to have a standalone DRM free version for Mac OS X ? Or do we have to play through steam ?

If yes, how is going to be having "one key" and steam or/and the standalone versions ?

Thanks again,

(Sorry If the question was already answered somewhere)
  18. SXX

SXX Post Master General

First you get non-Steam version and then you might done one-way exchange to Steam key.

Technically alpha/beta versions isn't DRM-free because it's only playable with internet connection on server hosted by Uber. But when game will be released you might play it offline, or on your own LAN server.

Your key give access to the game to one UberNet account. No mater you use Steam or not you need to be logged to UberNet to play in multiplayer, so you people who use Steam might play with people who doesn't use it at all.

So technically there is small difference between Steam and non-Steam users.
  19. hobarrera

hobarrera New Member

You should have clarified that the first builds would be windows-only, since the windows-exclusiveness did result in angry people too.

Out of curiosity; what's missing for the linux build? I mean, basically you just need to tar.gz all the files and maybe make an install script which copies them into the right place. Packaging is usually handled by distribution packagers.
  20. Kahdir

Kahdir New Member

Looking forward to the Mac release. Glad to hear you have a team dedicated to it.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.