What's up with Mac and Linux?

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by neutrino, June 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ImperialXT

ImperialXT New Member

I'm sure they'll get the linux and mac versions out as soon as they can.
  2. mcodl

mcodl Member

Thanks for the reassurance :) . I backed mainly because of the Linux support. I do have a Windows machine at home. However that machine is like 170km far from the place where I live though (and I intend to get rid of Windows completely next year).

More Kerbal Space Program until then I guess :D . After all I still have a long list of the planets/moons I need to get to.
  3. trialq

trialq Post Master General

I responded to:
    This is not the same thing as the work involved getting all 3 ready to be tested and/or fixing the bugs. Next time say what you mean. The actual tracking of bugs cross platform is solved by putting mac or linux in the title of a bug report on the bug tracker.
  4. liamdawe

liamdawe Active Member

Where did i say that btw? Also "Next time say what you mean." erm what?

There is no point arguing on it, they will release the clients in a few weeks they already said I'm waiting just as much as anyone else so why the hostility?
    Last edited: June 8, 2013
  5. trialq

trialq Post Master General

Apologies I misquoted, sxx said that just below your post. There's no hostility, text can be interpreted many ways and I was trying to say 'be specific in what you say or it will be misinterpreted'. Backfired somewhat didn't it :lol:
  6. liamdawe

liamdawe Active Member

Never forget the smilies when online or sometimes it comes across LIKE THIS GRRRR lol
  7. garat

garat Cat Herder Uber Alumni

This isn't quite correct. It's been hard to get the message out clearly without confusing people.

Steam is just a different way to get the client. You still connect to our servers. And we expect that you'll still be able to get our launcher and run the game by logging in with your UberNet account. You'll just need to make sure your Steam account is linked to your UberNet account, and you're technically a "steam" player at that point, rather than purely being an UberNet player.

It's mostly semantics, and hopefully has almost no impact on most people's experience, other than some click on steam to load the game, some run our launcher. :)
  8. DeadStretch

DeadStretch Post Master General

If it's anything like the launchers for SMNC, in which it's safe to assume it is, that's exactly how it'll work. For SMNC no matter how you launched the game (UberLauncher, Steam, Amazon, GamersFirst) you still had to login though UberNet.
  9. SXX

SXX Post Master General

Probably I got it wrong.

It's changes alot, probably I'll use Steam for updates, for me it's most important feature. But I don't really like games which force me to run them though Steam/Origin or anything else. :)

Because if that service unavailable (e.g banned on wifi for example) I can't play actual game.
    There is tons of WiFi hotspots where Steam banned, but I think there is none when UberNet will be.
  10. DeadJohnny

DeadJohnny New Member

I bought a new mac this week and for the first time in a long while I don't plan to dual boot even tempted as I am by the Windows Alpha currently available.

Please hurry on the Mac Alpha as more Mac users than ever are choosing to (especially since Win8) forego BootCamp or even virtualization and are eagerly waiting for their chance to work the alpha hard.
  11. hobarrera

hobarrera New Member

I'm pretty sure most Linux users don't really care about steam (especially since it caries over DRM, and the non-steam version is drm-free).

---

I also agree with all the above. Linux users in general tend to be more power-users and are very likely to provide much more useful feedback in terms of bug reports and alike.

As for packaging: Don't bother with that. Provide a zip or tar.gz with the binaries and game files. Packagers from different distributions will quickly pick that up and make packages for their distros, while providing a windows-like installer will most likely result in no (or few) packages for most distros.

Also, be sure to list all necesary dependecies! :D
  12. SXX

SXX Post Master General

I have a different vision about that. Most Linux users who pay for proprietary games already use Steam right now.
    I'm personally don't like DRM, but I like steam as updating tool even if it's have some DRM inside.
  13. hobarrera

hobarrera New Member

Steam is extremely new on Linux, I don't think it's had that much adoption so fast, and users are pretty used to not-using it.

Also, if PA becomes available on their OS's package manager, I don't think that would be much of a difference to them.
  14. SXX

SXX Post Master General

There is no way proprietary game might be available on package manager. There even no point for packages because game have it's own launcher/updater (and game where multiplayer are important can't live without updates) which just break package management. So even Ubuntu Store isn't a good idea, really.

Yep, theoretically Uber might make own deb/rpm repo, but there is no way to stop greedy people from using it without paying for the game. It's DRM-free, you know?
    So I don't see any reason why they need to spend any time to support repo or packaging if they can just give tgz. I think people who won't use Steam for some reason smarter enough to extract it and put it to /opt.
  15. liamdawe

liamdawe Active Member

Running one of the more popular websites for Linux (see me sig) I am in a unique position to talk about it.

It's quite half and half a lot of Linux users use Steam but the other half point blank refuse to use it because of it's DRM.

Uber will of course release a Steam version and a non-steam version as they will for Win and Mac just be patient Linux guys, I'm waiting too :)
  16. Nelec

Nelec Member

Awesome job, pretty cool site! I Have to admit.
  17. atua

atua Member

Thanks for the info Neutrino and Garat, much appreciated.

Eagerly awaiting the Linux release, also, Linux newbie here, so hopefully I will be able to get support from the Linux Vets... :)
  18. DeadJohnny

DeadJohnny New Member

As to this idea that Linux users provide better feed back: Have you seen Mac OS X and iOS applications? They're consistently better designed and higher quality products. That's in large part to the feedback of their testers and users.

Also there's more of us and we're proven spenders.

We're just more attractive. That is, we're just a more a attractive market. ;)
  19. liamdawe

liamdawe Active Member

Let's not turn it into a who's better contest ;)

Mac and Linux customers both will probably give as good feedback as eachother.

Personally I am testing on Windows as well (I have to dual boot for work anyway) to make sure that when it does hit Linux that i've reported and helped out with other issues too.
  20. eeyrjmr

eeyrjmr Member

Its not so much that Linux users give better feedback that other is user, its more that Linux commands by default give a lot more detail from a command line launch or kernel level logging.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.