What's up this week? 11/22/12

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by neutrino, November 22, 2012.

1. guzwaatensen

guzwaatensen Active Member

Actually i have a follow up question to the guys at uber:

As this editor is shaping up to be the star-system editor, how are you planning to integrate system building. Are you just going to let people select distances, period time, inclinations and so on at random. Or are you implementing a system where people select distance, inclination and maybe orbital velocity and have the editor calculate accurate eccentricity and period duration on these parameters?

(i'm obviously preferring solution 2, but there might be people out there who don't care for realism and just want to have their behemoth planet tidal locked to a much smaller center body, because they think it makes for an interesting map)
  2. kryovow

kryovow Well-Known Member

that is a good question, and maybe neutrino will answer it with more than "awesome", but its basically what I wanted to know :p
    I would say you should give in the editor the values for semimajor, inclination, eccentricity, and calculate the rest. but I also see how hard that is for players, who dont know everything about orbit mechanics. It is not that easy^^
  3. paulzeke

paulzeke Member

Just realized that the reason I couldn't view the video earlier was because the firewall at my workplace was blocking it!! Sorry for getting all antsy about it, the update was great! Looks a really good start on the planetary generator, definitely looking forward to seeing what they look like with finished biomes and atmospheres :)
  4. Pawz

Pawz Active Member

So how are you guys going to deal with planet curvature? Curvy lasers?
  5. ChillAAA

ChillAAA Member

Range limits on smaller projectiles?
  6. supremevoid

supremevoid Member

Do you mean laser projectiles which disapear after 200m of traveling than I think yes.
  7. daemonmf

daemonmf New Member

That would make for an interesting dynamic. Personally, I'd go for physical projectiles (bullets and missiles) to be effected by gravity and curve, while lasers obviously go straight. An extra consideration to think about when choosing units/tech path.
  8. elexis

elexis Member

Curvature of the planetoid is not a big deal, the immediate terrain will likely have a far greater impact on laser line of sight.
  9. garat

garat Cat Herder Uber Alumni

BTW, we have our YouTube uploads from TwitchTV working now, so you can watch here instead of you want:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ScQBJoqsR8Y

If YouTube is your preferred watching mechanism, you can subscribe to the UberEntChannel to get notified whenever we upload a new one, which should typically be within an hour or two of a live stream getting saved.
  10. ChillAAA

ChillAAA Member

THIS
  11. supremevoid

supremevoid Member

Neutrino anything to announce this week,like a livestream on Twitch before i miss it again :evil: ?
  12. garat

garat Cat Herder Uber Alumni

13. Satrack

Satrack New Member

Anything to report as of late? Any major progress?
  14. neutrino

neutrino low mass particle Uber Employee

Lots of progress but none of it makes pretty screenshots.
  15. elexis

elexis Member

But I find code pretty...
  16. ooshr32

ooshr32 Active Member

Some code is pretty hideous to look at.
    But I'm sure Uber's is just lovely! :lol:
  17. neutrino

Actually we are pretty hardcore about trying to keep the code clean. The goal is to make it easier to maintain in the long term. Since we compile across VS/Clang/G++ we also have to be fairly careful. We recently rolled out some C++ 11 features that are available enough to use. Auto keyword and lamba functions for example.
  18. nightnord

nightnord New Member

Lambda keywords, that is just iching to be abused in way like template metaprogramming is.
  19. neutrino

Actually they just make much more readable code. Template metaprogramming usually does the opposite.
  20. Yourtime

Yourtime Member

lol very nice, thats what we need! @clean code.