What's missing from TA and SupCom in PA

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by darkagentx, December 26, 2014.

1. ufarax

ufarax Active Member

IF I mention Kain, or Yuri Mind Bender, how about The Queen of Blades. Warcraft 3 gave us WOW. I remember when Arhus was just one of my many heroes in Warcraft 3...and who can forget when he succeeded his father. The story of the command and conquer series, is meant to be campy....Chemical Ali "Say hello to your four eyed grand children". Mind control squids, the psychic dominator. How we wait for Kain to kill his subordinates. It’s the story. I forgot to mention Emperor Battle for Dune.
  2. darkagentx

darkagentx Member

As an alternative to the given examples, you had games like Age of Empires, which allowed you to play through notable battles and stories taken from, or in some cases heavily inspired by history. I'd say they count as interesting stories too.

Noone's going to like all game stories, but they're a useful part of getting a player engaged when playing solo. I mean, you can't tell me you don't like it in C&C or SupCom, when the characters address you as commander and you're the only one that can get it done. I love that.

I haven't minded the absence of a story-driven campaign so much in PA because being able to work cooperatively in multiplayer with Team Armies and voice-chat in a 3v3v3 is some of the most fun I've had in a strategy game. But I'd still play one if it was there. Did anyone else play Sins of a Solar Empire? Loads of story and fluff in the game and the manual, not to mention the intro cinematic, and the whisperings of an encroaching unstoppable unknown. But a campaign mode? Haha no. I'd say that's worse than PA. At least here we got the appropriate context and the Galactic War, which is a pretty good base. Heck, if I was going to put story in Galactic War, I'd take the Dawn of War Dark Crusade approach and add the story / faction content to the Faction Leader missions.

Unless they've done that already, I wouldn't know because I keep losing my progress because of no saving. :rolleyes:
  3. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

That, is your opinion.
  4. Quitch

Quitch Post Master General

I like how you're insulting the intelligence of every poster on the forum with this post.
  5. igncom1

Im not insulting anyone, that is a ludicrous statement to make from what I said.
  6. Quitch

You implied people couldn't figure out that someone posting their thoughts on a forum was opinion only. Otherwise what would be the point of your post?
  7. igncom1

Implying that you believed it to be factual.

But yeah sure, play the champion of the people there Quitch.
  8. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

Warcraft 3 was pretty good imo... How a good guy (arthus) was turned evil whilst trying to do good. How the main factions kept fighting each other whilst the real enemy amassed forces and it was almost too late :)
  9. stuart98

stuart98 Post Master General

10. Quitch

Quite. So you believed people too stupid to understand that an opinion was an opinion. Not sure why you haven't done that for every other post on the forum, but meh.

But that's not the story of Warcraft 3, if it were it would be a good example of how to tell a story within the medium, where you're an active participant in someone's downfall. Unfortunately we have a magic corrupting sword, invading demon armies, ancient evils, a battle which controls the fate of the world etc. etc.
  11. igncom1

And im not sure why you still believe that me questing you is questioning everybody on the forum?

Or do you forget that not everything translates well through text?
  12. Quitch

You didn't question me. So, what you're saying is you believe I'm too stupid to realise that my opinion is my opinion?
  13. igncom1

Frankly, yes.

Especially If your going to blow up about it from a simple comment like you have.
  14. Quitch

You were wrong, I forgive you. Perhaps in the future you should avoid veiled insults calling me stupid.
  15. igncom1

I wasn't trying to attack you, you are however being very silly about a non-issue.

Im sorry If I have offended you, but seriously, why are you kinda mad that I decided to point that out?
  16. cdrkf

Well what I listed *is* part of the story though. What I've described is what happens- albeit it has magic swords and the enemy is the demon army etc. I mean it is an over the top fantasy plot, just as over the top as the Lord of The Rings and other fiction in the genre. I personally think Warcraft 3 told the story pretty well. Obviously if you don't like your fantasy stuff then it isn't for you :) That's more a matter of taste though.

To be honest, the number of 'good' stories in games are few and far between. I personally think Wing Commander 3 and 4 were both pretty well told stories, though again many are not so keen.
  17. Quitch

I think the number of good stories in games is about the same as in any other medium. One of the problems that arises is that many people look for games to tell a story akin to the way a film or book would, and those people will be disappointed becuase that's not the strength of the medium. There's a piece which criticises the ending of Mass Effect 3 which, in analysing why the original's ending works, also captures for me that this medium does best.

cdrkf likes this.
  18. cdrkf

Which is why wing commander 4 was so lauded (as it was a very forward thinking game at the time). One of the first instances where the player had multiple routes and different outcomes available... Believe in the system, obey orders and ultimately end up on the side of the bad guys unwittingly, or ignore orders, side with the 'enemy' and save humanity from itself. You can complete the game either way, and they really managed to make the latter rout a tough decision and keep you questioning right until the end :)
  19. wilhelmvx

wilhelmvx Member

I honestly hope we can drop the whole "good" story thing.
    I doesn´t need to have a good story but it should be entertaining.
    For a lot of people the stories of rts campaignes have been entertaining ... I think that is all that really matters.
    igncom1 likes this.
  20. Bsport

Bsport Well-Known Member

World in conflict, Homeworld series, some of the best story telling in games there is....FACT!
    cdrkf, stuart98 and igncom1 like this.