What to AVOID AT ALL COSTS in the making of this game.

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by raxtonian, June 25, 2013.

1. bobucles

bobucles Post Master General

Isn't there no fuel system already?

This would only make sense if everything grounded was immune to radar (which actually isn't that bad of an idea). Otherwise, why would only aircraft get this bonus?

Being underwater is automatic immunity to radar, at least.
  2. omega4

omega4 Member

Radar = detects air assets
    Sensors = detects land and naval assets
    Sonar = detects underwater assets

A grounded plane is undetectable by radar but could be picked by sensors.
  3. bobucles

bobucles Post Master General

It has been suggested before to have radar work only against air. It's overall a decent idea. There is a large difference in speed between ground and air. The speed of units basically controls how much vision you NEED to have enough time to respond. Fast units need vastly more vision potential to find them in time. Slower ground units not so much.

In fact, carefully controlling vision between ground+air is a great way to address mass air issues. Making air units easier to spot weakens their stance, and offering ways to protect against air scouting will encourage more ground scouts.

Isn't a sensor just standard vision?

Hmm. I do wonder how things would work if radar was required to find air units. An army without radar could find itself out of luck, even if it had tons of AA!
  4. omega4

omega4 Member

A sensor could possibly be just plain vision. I've heard sensors described as the Mk I Eyeball before.

I like the idea about radar only detecting air units that are in flight only. And woe be unto the army that doesn't have its air radars up....

Can't wait for someone to try the kidnapping commander tactic once air transports are introduced to PA.

5. raxtonian

raxtonian New Member

Perhaps when they are landed, the con is they are considered ground units and can be attacked by ground, but the pro would be either they cant be attacked by air only units or they turn into some sort of turret maybe? Nit sure what the pro would be, but they could think of something.
  6. omega4

omega4 Member

I think the only pro to planes landing is:

1. They don't consume fuel.
    2. They don't show up on radar (but do via sight/sensors), which presumably can detect aircraft at a farther range than eyesight/sensors can pick up ground units.

7. raxtonian

raxtonian New Member

The slow way that ground units turn is also unbearable, it should be a little choppier I'm pretty sure, but not too fast.
  8. KNight

KNight Post Master General

That's part of a unit's balance.

Mike
  9. smallcpu

smallcpu Active Member

Aye, use bots if you want fast turning units, vehicles hopefully stay slow turners.
  10. raxtonian

raxtonian New Member

Ok another idea is to have a unit supply cap. This could be an option so only some games have it based on a vote, but it is really needed because of all this lag at the end of the games when they have so many units.
  11. kvalheim

kvalheim Post Master General

That was one of the big things they said they weren't going to have. The game is still a long ways away from proper optimisation, so it will be a lot less of a problem come release
  12. nlspeed911

nlspeed911 Member

Well, they will have it, I suppose - but definitely not mandatory. And indeed, I prefer my unit caps set to 'infinite'. :p
  13. raxtonian

raxtonian New Member

Ok good because all the youtubers appear to be having a problem with lag and I don't like supply caps but I hate lag even more so hopefully this will fix both.
  14. KNight

KNight Post Master General

For things like Ranked Matches there is likely to be a limit of some kind, just as there will be standards for map Generation for Ranked matches, but the reality is that your Unit limiot is based on the Server strength in the end.

Mike
  15. raxtonian

raxtonian New Member

I hope there are hotkeys.
    Also walls are over powered so can anyone think of what they would be useful for besides blocking enemy movement?

I think they should block enemy sight or when the enemy fires a majority of bullets get blocked while when you fire (or whoever built the walls) you can shoot right past them fine. I don't know but they are definitely pretty boring right now.
  16. BulletMagnet

BulletMagnet Post Master General

Get a better computer if you're lagging.

PA's upper limit in scale is how fast your computer is. Don't handicap the game because if your problems.
  17. raxtonian

raxtonian New Member

I'm not the only one that would lag. Famous youtubers lag, everyone lags at the end of the game. They are working on this though but it may be necessary if all else fails.
  18. BulletMagnet

I don't think you understand; of course it will lag late game. Every game will lag when you pile infinity units onto the map.

We all pledged money to support epic scale. Why would you want to stop that?
  19. raxtonian

raxtonian New Member

Simple. Lag is not epic. Now I understand why you would want to have unlimited units but the simple truth is that there is always a limit where no amount of optimization will prevent lag, and the only way to fix that is to make a supply cap or make it next to impossible to get that many units without dying first.
  20. BulletMagnet

Then don't play big games.

It's completely player choice.