What strategy is there for an imminent asteroid strike?

Discussion in 'Backers Lounge (Read-only)' started by blocky22, May 14, 2013.

?

Feature you want used to prevent an imminent asteroid strike?

1. Mega-bot (Specialized bot)

30 vote(s)
    16.9%
  2. Other type of Super unit

32 vote(s)
    18.1%
  3. Super Structure(s)

103 vote(s)
    58.2%
  4. Something else

75 vote(s)
    42.4%
  5. Non (nah, asteroids are the be all and end that opponent)

38 vote(s)
    21.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. asm987

asm987 New Member

Hijack the asteroid's thruster to reset the trajectory of it or use lots of lots of missiles to reduce size, change trajectory or destroy thrusters when the asteroid is still far far away and didn't entered crashing course. Or use another rock to smash it.

There could be no such thing that can just obliterate massive potato of rock and metal out of the sky. It's just doomsday if it enters crashing course and still have some size. Just build another base off the planet.
  2. Nahtonaj

Nahtonaj Member

This makes sense. A very large asteroid could be defended by a smaller asteroid which is cheaper to make. Just like anti-nukes are cheaper and faster made than nukes. Perhaps there could be a different type of engine that has advanced sensors to detect incoming asteroids and plan an intercept course to destroy it. If there are asteroids around every planet, make anti-asteroids at every interval around the planet. Something like that

Another way would be to launch a nuke to destroy the asteroid's trajectory. But perhaps this would require an expensive advanced solar sensor array to be built on an asteroid to detect the incoming asteroid soon enough. I don't think it should be limited to just one way to counteract an asteroid. Why not asteroids AND nukes to disable engine?
  3. digitald17

digitald17 New Member

I think you should be able to smash another asteroid into the incoming one to try to deflect it. The option of trying to fly a missile or something to disrupt the engines on the asteroid maybe?
  4. Drarrk

Drarrk New Member

By super structure I was thinking something that could withstand some of the impact, or a structure that attempts to fragment the asteroid.
  5. Nelec

Nelec Member

That's some crazy sh*t right there :p
  6. Nahtonaj

Nahtonaj Member

Technically another asteroid would be considered a super-structure and so fits with the poll. Hijacking should be a viable option but I would still imagine it would be difficult to "hop" onto the asteroid. The most difficult part with any hijacking maneuver.
    Destroying an asteroid with a smaller asteroid and disrupting an asteroid's path with a nuke or several nukes, (probably several.)

These are the methods that seem most fitting to the game and its mechanics as we know it right now.
  7. blocky22

blocky22 Member

I'm not sure how an asteroid could be considered a super-structure. I thought an asteroid in the context of this thread could only be considered KEW.
    Not to dis, but I find it annoying how hijacking gets suggested but I haven't seen anything (new) about implementing it.
    Wouldn't Capturing - a common RTS mechanic be all the hijacking we would need.
    Please do correct me if I'm wrong.
  8. Nahtonaj

Nahtonaj Member

Well, yes. Capturing would be the name of the game in a highjack. Or destroying the engines. But how does the capturing of an asteroid become implemented? A capture gun like in Supcom 2? Hop on the asteroid as it goes past? :| Obviously engineers would have to be put on the asteroid to capture it which would take awhile. Even then one or two point defense cannons or units would make quick work of this strategy. It would be easier to launch an attack group to simply destroy the engines.

I was thinking of the engines of an asteroid acting as the "super structures." A massive gun would be really cool, or building a massive "umbrella" over your base, and other such options others have mentioned on this thread. Pretty good ideas. The aftermath of two asteroids colliding is catastrophic. Will there be debris? If so, will it keep moving on its tangent course? If so, there could be a lot of dangerous space junk flying around just waiting to hit another planet, asteroid or Moon base. :eek:

I think the highjacking idea is popular because it would be "so cool" to do it. Though no one knows how. Fighting on top of the very vehicle that has the potential to end the game for you has attractive bragging rights if you succeed. A highjack though is a one in ten thousand chance of there being the right circumstances to initiate it. Somehow. ;)

I doubt the unit cannon would have the range to get units on an asteroid in time to prevent it smashing into a planet. But it may be possible. A capture gun of sorts targeting the engines may be the best course. So when it is captured what happens? It continues on a tangent course. What happens when this is straight into an asteroid field? You have wasted effort capturing the asteroid that will now blow up. Or create a large orbit around the sun...which is kinda cool. :)

The developers don't want to use nukes as a viable anti-asteroid solution. So it will probably turn out to be smaller asteroids with one or a couple engines as the defense. Or, no defense at all. :shock: I would think that late in the game you would have more than one base. Sooo....you would think you would also be firing asteroids at the other guy or would be soon. :?:
  9. ascythian

ascythian Member

Giant tractor beam