What strategy is there for an imminent asteroid strike?

Discussion in 'Backers Lounge (Read-only)' started by blocky22, May 14, 2013.

?

Feature you want used to prevent an imminent asteroid strike?

1. Mega-bot (Specialized bot)

30 vote(s)
    16.9%
  2. Other type of Super unit

32 vote(s)
    18.1%
  3. Super Structure(s)

103 vote(s)
    58.2%
  4. Something else

75 vote(s)
    42.4%
  5. Non (nah, asteroids are the be all and end that opponent)

38 vote(s)
    21.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. sporemaster18

sporemaster18 Member

Even then it's still only two tech levels, not 4 or 5.
  2. napperjabber

napperjabber New Member

Pretty sure Stargate had it right when the warped an asteroid through earth. You should be able to knock out an engine or attach a warp matrix to a unit/asteroid.
  3. Sylenall

Sylenall Member

I honestly don't "get" the people that advocate that asteroid strikes be un-counter-able.

Why introduce something that is basically going to be a tech-rush into "I win" button? It's like the nuke kill-streak from call of duty, all it did was promote camping and piss everyone off when games ended early.

Granted that's not a perfect comparison, but still.
  4. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

If I can't send my commander to hijack an incoming asteroid, I'll be sad.

Me and the enemy commander firing our UBER cannons at each other, trying to delay one another trying to keep the asteroid alive and trying to divert it off course.

Possibly ending the game right there as the enemy commander annihilates my commander trying to capture the controls, and manages to jump off just before the rock enters the atmosphere.

GG, base gone. ;)
  5. mushroomars

mushroomars Well-Known Member

I feel the same Igncom, send a rocket to the asteroid, drop the Commander on it, and capture some of the engines. Once the enemy realizes what is happening, I have already captured half his engines and the asteroid is going out of control. He sends units, so I uber-cannon the rest of the engines and use the rest to send it towards his planet, making an epic last stand with my Commander and what few units I have left. THERE IS NO RETURN!
  6. bobucles

bobucles Post Master General

Asteroids are pretty much the game ending weapon here. Their purpose is to bring the game to a close one way or another. That can't happen if they're trivially defended.
  7. BulletMagnet

BulletMagnet Post Master General

Age of Empires had an uncounterable way to win.

• The Wonder.

The only way to counter it was to burn it to the ground before 1,000 years elapsed. Did you bitch and moan about those? If you did; carry on. If you didn't, please close your mouth.

Seriously, we don't need a special way to counter asteroids.
  8. Sylenall

Sylenall Member

Well considering that you just said that wonders could be stopped...

a) So what stops people from tech-rushing to asteroids, like ALL the time?

b) Who said countering them would be trivial? For example, what if you could land troops/engineers on it to capture or destroy the engines or control center? That would be a hell of alot more exciting than "hurr, I built one first, I win".
    Last edited: May 19, 2013
  9. KNight

KNight Post Master General

Yes, but the point is that the method is the same as you would for a base or army, you go kill it, not build a special Anti-Wonder Structure to counter the Wonder.

You don't need an 'Anti-KEW' Weapon to stop a KEW, you can go and kill the engines on it. Heck, you can even react passively! Just reclaim your base and rebuild it on another planet, you might lose the income when the planet get messed up, but at least it's income your opponent can't get either.

Basically there are a lot more interesting ways to deal with things like KEWs than Building X building that counters them, especially when you consider that as Bobucles said;
    And that the 'shrinking of the playing area' is going to be pretty vital in bigger games that start with 8 players but by the end you only have 2 or 3 duking it out for survival.....

Mike
  10. veta

veta Active Member

there's a difference between something being uncounterable and not having a dedicated counter unit e.g. TML and TMD. Didn't you link an extra credit video in another thread bullet?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... mdtb4RkBoc

edit: no you didn't, that was the other guy and what he linked wasn't even appropriate to that discussion, should still watch the one i linked though.
    Last edited: May 19, 2013
  11. ucsgolan

ucsgolan Member

Actually the meteor bomb is different than wonder since it does not make the user victorious. In multi planetary map, the player may able to escape to another planet. (In Kickstarter concept video, the asteroid was not that fast I think...)
  12. bobucles

bobucles Post Master General

The same thing that stops most other strategems. The enemy attacks at literally any time, you get rolled over by tanks, and die.
  13. Devak

Devak Post Master General

I firmly believe that the best way to stop an asteroid rush is to scout and kill people on asteroids. Oh, and it seems the rush to space goes via the T2 rocket gantry (which is humongous) so it'll be the FIRST thing you target.

Additionally, in the kickstarter the asteroid sent on the path had to make more than an entire rotation around the sun. Roughly based on the rotation speed seen in the recent "system map" on the livestream, it could take quite tens of minutes inbetween "asteroid sent" and "asteroid uncomfortably close". Which means, if you see an asteroid coming in your best bet is to destroy the engines and ensure it misses your planet.

Of course, if you really hate asteroids, you could always just create a map without asteroids.
  14. Nahtonaj

Nahtonaj Member

If you get far enough in game. Just think, you will have multiple bases and if your commander is hidden on some asteroid, even though the enemy makes a smoking crater out of your main base, you could still be alive. Perhaps the main defense for an asteroid attack would simply not to have your commander in your main base.

Since nukes cannot defend against an asteroid there must be something much more expensive to build to help defend......like......help me out here. There just isn't much to prevent the equivalent of an entire mountain chain falling on your head.

Black hole cannon? Sucks it up? Immensely expensive to build and power?
    A more expensive option would be to make a gravity gun. Able to redirect the course of an asteroid?
    The equivalent of a giant orbital metal umbrella?
    A way to assault asteroid while it is en route? Unit cannon may make taking out an asteroid too easy. Asteroid would be traveling too fast. Units wouldn't land, they would most likely be splatted like bugs on a windshield.....
    Asteroid defense.....the easy road would be having none but then that would mean whoever got an asteroid first wins essentially. There kinda needs to be a defense.
  15. rabidfrog

rabidfrog Member

In my opinion you should have to either take over the asteroid with units or try to minimise the damage with nukes. Then, asteroids could be built with anti ballistic missiles on and some form of awesome 3D swivel turret to shoot down descending units making a more organised attack. I also think that as a general idea, it should be more difficult to launch units from a planet, requiring a rocket like on the video, and easier from an asteroid, meaning having unit "garrisons" on asteroids with unit cannons to defend from mobilised asteroids a feasible plan, unlike massive rocket array.
    This means that later in the game asteroids don't become useless with nukes and unit launches as you simply up the game with swivel cannons and nuke defences.
  16. Nahtonaj

Nahtonaj Member

I think they may be doing physics where it is easier to launch from a small object to a bigger one and harder to launch from a bigger object to a smaller one. I read this somewhere in the forums. That whole wish to do mostly real physics.
  17. infuscoletum

infuscoletum Active Member

This has prolly already been mentioned, but I was talking about this with a coworker and I vote for using asteroids against asteroids.

Part of the game strat could be prepping multiple roids, just in case. Like the cold war, but with BIGGER bombs. Then the game could be the intersteller equivilent of the Cuban Missile Crisis!

EDIT: [sarcasm]Or just put a "Bruce Willis - Oil Driller" unit in the game. Problem solved![/sarcasm]
  18. Nirnias

Nirnias New Member

Evacuate the planet and watch it splode at a great distance.
  19. phib3roptix

phib3roptix New Member

Raised a thread on this in the general forum about using asteroids in a geostationary orbit to block incoming KEWS - could put incoming defense on the asteroid - if kew is too big would shatter the "shield" asteroid and rain down extreme hell fire baby!!
  20. asm987

asm987 New Member

Hijack the asteroid's thruster to reset the trajectory of it or use lots of lots of missiles to reduce size, change trajectory or destroy thrusters when the asteroid is still far far away and didn't entered crashing course.

There could be no such thing that can just obliterate massive potato of rock and metal out of the sky. It's just doomsday if it enters crashing course and still have some size. Just build another base off the planet.