What strategy is there for an imminent asteroid strike?

Discussion in 'Backers Lounge (Read-only)' started by blocky22, May 14, 2013.

?

Feature you want used to prevent an imminent asteroid strike?

1. Mega-bot (Specialized bot)

30 vote(s)
    16.9%
  2. Other type of Super unit

32 vote(s)
    18.1%
  3. Super Structure(s)

103 vote(s)
    58.2%
  4. Something else

75 vote(s)
    42.4%
  5. Non (nah, asteroids are the be all and end that opponent)

38 vote(s)
    21.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. AusSkiller

AusSkiller Member

Ctrl-K is a completely valid counter to any strategy ;)
  2. ticklemeelmo

ticklemeelmo Member

It would be great if an announcer called out DENIED. When this happened.
  3. Moranic

Moranic Member

I'd like to be able to send a couple nukes in. Obliterating it.
  4. insanityoo

insanityoo Member

Only a couple to obliterate an asteroid?? :?
  5. KNight

KNight Post Master General

Technically you don't need to obliterate the asteroid entirely, just taking out some/all the engines before it's reached it's terminal vector is plausible as well, of course hitting the back side of an asteroid that's racing towards you isn't exactly easy.

Mike
  6. insanityoo

insanityoo Member

Agreed, but that's not was originally said.

Anyway, this brings up an interesting discussion about detection and interception (both nuclear and conventional) of asteroids. Will there be some sort of "large object detector" orbital or otherwise? Will the defending player be able to get units to an incoming asteroid quickly enough to commandeer it? Will asteroids be fast moving or slow moving objects of death? Speed will obviously depend on time and thrust, but Uber will be able to control these variables to a degree.
  7. Daddie

Daddie Member

Thats not a strategy.. screaming like a girl and yelling "We are doomed!" is :mrgreen:
  8. neutrino

neutrino low mass particle Uber Employee

I thought we showed in the video that nukes aren't a good counter to asteroids.

See you have to drill down at least 300 meters to plant the nuke inside. Everyone, even Ben Affleck, knows that.
  9. KNight

KNight Post Master General

To be fair, the knowledge wasn't common until the "White Horse" released the Debriefing! ;p

Mike
  10. SmoothApproach

SmoothApproach Member

I was just going to suggest a mini game with doing just that hahahahahahahahahahah
    (who knows maybe it could even work with fighting while drilling on a bit bigger asteroid lol )
  11. bobucles

bobucles Post Master General

Pffft. That's like a medium sized bunker buster at best. Asteroids also have a consistency closer to meringue, but it's better to gloss over that.
  12. nanolathe

nanolathe Post Master General

While asteroids don't typically match Earth's mean average density of 5.52 g/cm³ that isn't to say that asteroids are meager by comparison... even to other planets.

While Venus is close to Earth's, averaging around 5.24 g/cm3 on average and Mercury is a respectable 5.42 g/cm³, Mars is only 3.93 g/cm³

Putting that in perspective, Vesta (the second-most-massive asteroid after the dwarf planet Ceres) is tantalisingly close at 3.47 g/cm³... a far cry from being meringue.
  13. SmoothApproach

SmoothApproach Member

so should we add to the poll, "drilling to the centre and nuking" :D ?

hehehheeheh i could even imagine an automated unit that would drill it and than nuke when in a desired depth ;) You would have to protect it until it gets under surface.
    It could launch like a rocket and land on a surface of asteroid. Something like seen in Matrix
    [​IMG]
  14. emptyk

emptyk New Member

The physics could be different in PA. Who knows? (The devs do.)

Now, I was thinking, you wouldn't have to stop the asteroid completely, just sort of nudge it out of the way. That is if you weren't on the entire surface of the planet. You could send up a missile or other projectile that would hit the side of the asteroid and move it to the right/left/up/down/all around. In doing this, you might shatter the asteroid and have a tiny meteor show, but it's better than the whole thing falling on your head.

Also, on a side note, I wonder how accurate the asteroid control is going to be.
  15. nanolathe

nanolathe Post Master General

1. Left click on asteroid engines.
    2. Right click on enemy base.
    3. Observe results.

If it's any more complicated than that Uber will have messed up.
  16. tgslasher

tgslasher New Member

I thought it was shown in the video that you didn't use enough nukes ... If you don't have 20 nuke silos with 10 nukes each how do you hope to get through the enemies nuke defence, or in this case asteroid.

Also, hope that when drilling the asteroid isn't made of dense metal.

I also like the idea of the launch able nuke driller bot, that will drill to X depth, plant bomb and destroy the asteroid / damage other celestial bodies if used on them instead. The drill itself should always remain above ground and only drill to a certain max depth. These limitation's would prevent it doing much damage to larger bodies (moons and planets) but would still make it viable v asteroids. The body being above ground (similar to a modern day drill such as a oil rig drill) would allow defenders on the asteroid (the ones being sacrificed) to fight it off.

The detonation of the asteroid drilling nuke machine of great justice should not prevent all damage to the planet, but a large chunk. We all know the movies like splitting asteroids in half and the edges going either side, that could happen here, asteroid is mostly obliterated but some amount hits each edge of the sphere relative to the direction of asteroid travel. This defends your base but still inflicts reasonable damage to the planet and makes outer areas damage beyond use and allows for extra tactics, such as aiming the asteroid so if it is defended it will still damage an enemy base.

I'm also sure it was mentioned that you could stop an asteroid with another asteroid.

Maybe we should have cargo ships with hyperspace drives, expand the dimensions of the hyperspace drive to cover the asteroid and fly to the other side of the planet. Just like Stargate.

That's my 2 cents
  17. SmoothApproach

SmoothApproach Member

Who knows, maybe they have more imaginative solutions, why being so blunt and say "will have messed up" if its not what you have thought it to be?
  18. Raevn

Raevn Moderator Alumni

Bad poll. 3 options for super units (aren't likely to be present, according to uber), 1 option for none, and one "other".
    Polls should avoid giving specific solutions to a problem unless there are only a few discrete options. A better poll to start with would have been

"Should asteroids be stoppable?"
    - Yes
    - No
    - No, but damage mitigatable/reduceable

Discrete options, and an appropriate solution can then be developed. Even a yes/no would be ok, if you wanted to avoid the third option. The problem with trying to give solutions is it locks out other ideas, and railroads the discussion, especially when so many aspects of the game aren't known yet.
  19. emptyk

emptyk New Member

I am not talking about the actual controls, I am talking about how accurate the asteroids are going to be.
  20. davidkit

davidkit New Member

Push X to not die.

Make it into a quick time event and that way every one will be happy.