what performance should I be getting?

Discussion in 'Support!' started by cdrkf, December 27, 2014.

1. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

I've recently completely rebuilt my main rig to improve performance in a number of games. I'm not sure PA is quite where I think it ought to be, just curious if anyone with a similar system is getting the same or different results to me?

Specs: AMD fx8320 @4ghz
    8gb ddr3 1600 ram
    Radeon R9 280 3gb gddr5 gpu (essentialy the same as HD7950).
    screen: 1080p

I'm currently running on high settings with aa disabled at native, I get a smooth 60fps at game start, but not far into the game I'm at 20 fps (explosions make the fame rate crash). This is in 1 v 1 ladder games too.

I have latest omega drivers. I did have msi afterburner (which was causing lag spikes, thankfully that is now cured by removing it). I'm surprised I don't get much better performance given that my ancient laptop runs the game quite well on a 2.4 ghz first gen i5 (dual core with ht), 8gb ram and gt420m gpu (which is a fraction of the power of the R9). Not at the machine now but will post a Dxdiag shortly...

Edit: DxDiag added.

Edit 2: Hmm just played a 1 v 1 on the ice planet with no slow down- one change I did make was to disable the AMD Raptr overlays / notifications during game. Perhaps that was causing slow down. Game didn't drop below 40 fps at any point. I'll keep testing to identify specifically when it slows down...

Attached Files:

Last edited: December 27, 2014
  2. SXX

SXX Post Master General

Are you running via Steam or not?
    AMD's OpenGL + Steam Overlay may cause serious slowdown.

Also I would suggest try to disable all software running on your PC in background and check if there any change in performance. This would help to find if there any other possible conflicts going.
    cdrkf likes this.
  3. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

Just running via launcher. Disabling the amd raptr overlays helped.

On single planets without trees performance is good. The 1 v 1 map with trees is quite a bit slower though. I don't have a huge amount of other software on the machine but I'll try investigating if anything else is interfering.