What is the point of this game? It already exists.

Discussion in 'Support!' started by xterminator27, September 27, 2013.

1. garat

garat Cat Herder Uber Alumni

I think there are valid points in the thread, so I'd rather not lock it. Useless posts saying lock it, flame war, however, tend to turn it into one. If you don't like the thread, easiest way to ignore it is not post. :)

And @LennardF1989 .. NO!! :) (I actually slept from 7PM til about 4AM)
    whisperr likes this.
  2. osirus9

osirus9 Member

I have not heard any constructive ideas come up in this thread myself. I feel that merely the inflammatory title is drawing many people here to either defame the OP as a troll, or to defend the good name of the game everybody here paid extra to play early.

The only semi-constructive thing the OP has said was that he did not like the middle mouse keybind. That's fair, and a legitimate concern, but it has gotten lost in the sea of people responding only to his original belligerent post, title, and tone. Maybe I am being harsh, but I don't feel that this conversation will lead to a positive or constructive discussion. The only reason this thread has gotten on track at all is because the OP has stopped posting, and 2 mods and a dev have gotten involved to try to calm things down.

If the OP wants to start a constructive conversation about ways to improve PA, then more power to him. I just don't think insulting the devs and the community will get him there.
  3. monkeyulize

monkeyulize Active Member

Perhaps you are not very bright, since this game was marketed as a spiritual successor to TA, to which Supreme Commander is sort of a spiritual successor. They are bound to be very similar, that's what the fans want.
  4. asgo

asgo Member

apart from the tone and a certain lack of endurance in testing the OP has a certain point, which is mostly based on perception.

If someone just starts a game without much a priori knowledge of the current state and the planned objectives, the first impressions show many (perhaps too many depending on perspective) similarities to existing games. That this first impressions don't describe the whole feature set doesn't really matter if someone doesn't bother to continue a game beyond the beginning.

Sure, the first obvious difference is the spherical aspect, but it takes some time into the game, that this has any practical implications beyond visual style and UI interaction. Mostly, the new concepts start out to be used a bit later in a game session.

The other point, since the game development process started out with well known mechanics as a basis and the new features are build incrementally upon working layers, the degree of "new" is increasing towards the end, depending on when a player joins for his first game this may lead to irritating conclusions.

In the end, it's mostly a matter of perception, where first impressions collide with assumptions and (missing) knowledge of the current state in relation to the release version.

as a side note, computer games are always a collection of known and expected features from the respective sub genre plus a few new features, which should be the distinctive elements for that specific game. Most gamers, would have a collective fit if a RTS game starts out to be completely different (not necessarily bad) from their expectations. ;)
    ShottyMonsta and bluejam like this.
  5. punkroadkill

punkroadkill New Member

I saw your first post as..

Someone didn't get hugged enough as a kid :(
  6. hearmyvoice

hearmyvoice Active Member

There should be more threads like this... but it saddens me how instead of listening this guy people just bash him into oblivion, sigh.

Instead of being all "lol you mad bro" you could say "why are you so angry", "you have a point there", etc. Instead of untieing the knot you tie it 10 times tighter.
  7. carn1x

carn1x Active Member

No, YOU shut up!
  8. overseeker79

overseeker79 New Member

Something else to note about PA is that it's a "framework" - from the initial kickstarter campaign, it was advertised as that.

This engine will serve as a platform for other developers to build on, "mod" the hell out of it - and otherwise license it into their own engines - these are Mavor's words.

And it was this open concept - the ability to have a truly cusomizable game; with random solar system generator, limitless possibilities .. that I chose to pledge $250 in the kickstarter for.

That's also why I haven't spammed "I want this" - "why isn't this in the game" - "why is this in the game" ... because after it's launched, I can write my own mods for it and enjoy it with my friends as I please :)
    chronoblip and bluejam like this.
  9. cwarner7264

cwarner7264 Moderator Alumni

It was, but it got unlocked again.

Honestly, outside of the text in the OP, this guy has displayed nothing but contempt for anyone trying to make a counter argument against him in the rest of the thread, so I'm not sure what 'discussion' we're supposed to get out of it.

EDIT: sorry, didn't see Garat's post.
  10. Malorn

Malorn Member

To address this directly and politely. We are responding negatively to three different factors:

1. Rudeness: the OP is harsh, rude, and offers no middle ground or complex opinion. He also shows no respect for others, even those who are polite to him.
    2. Brains: Or rather the lack of them. His opinions seem ill-informed, thoughtless, and do not show signs of having been well-thought out.
    3. Defense: He is defending his opinions using more of the same opinion, without resorting to facts or building off of other opinions that others might share.

In short, he is like thousands of other forum folks I've dealt with. We aren't taking the time and effort to understand him because 95% of the time there is nothing to understand. Should we spent lots of time and patience calming him down and listening without expressing our opinions, only to have him keep slapping us in the face?

He is entitled to his opinion, but he is not entitled to our silence while he expresses it.
    maxpowerz, deso88 and whisperr like this.
  11. rick104547

rick104547 Member

No use in explaining anything to a braindead. Still its fun to see there are such stupid ppl.

Just lock this topic.
  12. Moranic

Moranic Member

If you really want to make a point here, you have to come with constructive criticism and tell us why you think this is true and/or bad. You can say Battlefield is a rip-off of CoD or Halo, but they've all got their differences and it doesn't make them bad games (example, should've used games that are actually good).
  13. pfannkuchengesicht

pfannkuchengesicht New Member

wow, didn't know this forum like trolls so much that the users feed them so much...
  14. diskawrs

diskawrs Member

OMFG why do people buy the game if they going to bitch all day. THIS IS BETA BETA BETA BETA BETA .... get it into your heads BETA, not release not Alpha but BETAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA.
  15. LennardF1989

LennardF1989 Uber Contractor

16. radtoo

radtoo Member

The game is currently a bit unbalanced and indeed, the engine features don't amount to particularly novel gameplay as such yet.

Your SC2 mod (which I don't know) or Zero-K (which I know quite well) is probably the more polished experience, and far more fair/interesting in competitive play.

Still, it is only the beta! The engine does various great things already, things the other games just don't do - this does already amount to a huge difference to SupCom, SC2, Spring and what not.
    Uber also promised various additional things in Q&A videos and the Kickstarter campaign, and people also still have various ideas and suggestions on the forums that may get implemented.

A lot of these things will affect the gameplay/modability/overall awesomeness, so... just wait for a while and see how it got better? Or play and suggest specific changes that might actually be added in the future.
    Last edited: September 27, 2013
  17. shotogun

shotogun Member

StarCraft is an established game made by blizzard, a company that has 2000X more money then uber and your acting like the beta version of the game is going to magically be leagues better?

That's how I'm imagining your thinking. I think this game is better then starcraft any day. Plus uber worked on TA. If you didn't know, StarCraft, supreme commander were both inspired by TA, so you should get your facts straight before you talk **** about stuff you don't know.
    bluejam likes this.
  18. b4ux1t3

b4ux1t3 New Member

I think the problem most of us (including myself) have is the tone, and the fact that the "constructive criticism" seemed to be added as an afterthought so the thread wouldn't get closed.

After his first post, which in and of itself was insulting and rude, he resorted to name-calling and brash accusations of "brown nosing". (He kept using that phrase. I do not think it means what he thinks it means.) He was obviously (I use this word subjectively) trying to get a rise out of other players, and not trying to start a constructive discussion.

I don't understand how the thread was re-opened when the only people who had valid points were those against the OP, and all those points can be found in many other places.
    Last edited: September 27, 2013
  19. hostileparadox

hostileparadox Well-Known Member

You must have some misconceptions about what real Beta participation is. Beta means the game is playable with certain features, but still incomplete, and your input is valuable in shaping what the final product will be. This can be confusing to some players when compared to open Betas, which are essentially finished games that need testing/balancing.

Calling the unfinished Beta a ripoff only weakens whatever argument you make. Have a slice of humble pie, play the game some more, give good feedback, and wait for the new features to be added.
    whisperr likes this.
  20. RMJ

RMJ Active Member

You have to sacrifice some detail, even in Starcraft 2, ive tried running some custom games with 4-6 players when there is 1000 units on the field in that game your FPS is gonna be low like 10-15 fps.

In this game you are talking battles with 10.000 - 100.000 - 1 million UNITS. 50 BILLION UNITS 250 TRILLIONG BILLION UNITS. or your pc might burn down who knows :p