What if your fully conquered planet becomes a FULLY ARMED AND OPERATIONAL BATTLE STATION!

Discussion in 'Balance Discussions' started by t3mantis, March 2, 2014.

1. t3mantis

t3mantis New Member

Ok so this might seem a little crazy but let me point out some facts:

-The only endgame game ender in my opinion is the planet smash.(When I played yesterday it was bugged and we had to end our game in a draw)
    -Landing on a fully occupied planet is almost impossible.(umbrellas and bombers)
    -We will be granted the ability to change the planets orbit.
    -Unlimited range planet to planet artillery would be a really bad idea.

So what I had in mind would be to simply build infrastructures on a planet to "transform" in a battle station. First we would have to build Halleys so we can get closer to the other planet or even get into it's orbit if physics allow it, the we could build heavy planet to planet guns with big aoe that have a certain range and then bombard a spot where you could land and deal more damage.

An alternative would be making those planet to planet guns really costly and make a cheaper planet to planet space ramp. This will tether your planet to your foe's and you can either walk up the ramp with land and air or beam up (or down?) so that your troops can confront each other. But the foe can use this space ramp to go on your planet and destroy the space ramp facility (or your planet) to sever the space ramp and stop the hostility.

I hope you find my idea interesting and some feedback would be appreciated :D
  2. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

I see you're new here, and welcome to the forums!

This is not a new suggestion, and has actually been confirmed. We will have some sort of death star style planet through metal planets.

Landing on a fully occupied planet is more possible than most people think, but we still have more things to be added into the game for that.

We already have planet to planet guns, they're nukes.

We also already have teleporters, so we don't need a beam up or down deal so units can move from planet to planet.

You should do a search before posting, in accordance with forum rules.
  3. t3mantis

t3mantis New Member

I don't think you understand what I meant by that.

I am not sure how they will make metal planets work like death stars, but I am assuming that the huge hole in it is a lazer that can destroy planet. If so then it has nothing to do with my planet to planet gun: they are conceived to clear out a landing zone,harass or siege another planet

I can understand that more stuff will be added to aid us in landing in another planet and this is why I posted this thread to suggest my idea.

Nukes do serve a function, but my idea of a planet to planet gun is different.
    Nukes need to build their ammo, they have unlimited range and they get counter measured by anti nukes
    PP(planet to planet) guns on the other hand have better rate of fire, have limited range and have a faster projectile speed meaning that they can support the landing force compared to the nuke that takes some time before to land.

Teleporter are very vulnerable. If your foe simply builds advanced bomber to patrol your planet, no teleporter can be built. My ramp idea forces the enemy to use the ramp to destroy the ramp facility which is on your own planet where you may have already built flacks on it against those bombers.

I may have no been clear in my last post, I hope that this explains it better (Thanks for the welcome)
    nanolathe and Antiglow like this.
  4. Antiglow

Antiglow Well-Known Member

I don't agree with most of the "space ramp" stuff but I do think very shot range beaming could be cool. Also planet to planet guns I think should become a thing. To be balanced they would need to be very short range (In terms of distance between planets or other bodies, not just orbiting but close orbiting) and a little bigger aoe and damage as a SXX. Furthermore they would need to be rather costly and rate of fire would need to be somewhat slow.

Not to start a war with you @brianpurkiss but did you even read his post?
    • He was talking about using structures to turn a planet into a "battle station".
    • Nukes are not guns they are missiles, he was clearly talking about guns.
    • He was talking about moving without a structure in place (aka the teleporter) in a short range manner.
    • This post is somewhat unique in and of Itself, though it could fit in with some others it has a few qualities that make it stand alone.
    Is a little harsh even if it is somewhat true. As others have said this standard post of yours is a buzzkill.
    Last edited: March 4, 2014
    GoodOak, wheeledgoat, elwyn and 2 others like this.
  5. brianpurkiss

Sorry that asking people to abide by the forum rules and not clutter up the forums is being a "buzzkill."

And yes, I did read his post.

We already have options for clearing out a landing zone. Mainly, we have options that have counters for clearing out a landing zone. Planet to planet artillery isn't a good idea because it's nigh impossible to counter short of a full on planet invasion.

Planet to planet artillery also wouldn't really work due to the orbiting nature of planets. Interplanetary projectiles must be guided in order to hit targets on the other side of the planet.

I'd rather have dropships than a space ramp. They balance out a lot better.

Teleporters are vulnerable, but Uber has a lot of other options in the works. The Unit Cannon being one. I really hope they end up adding dropships. And they've also toyed around the idea of a satellite that launches missiles that could shoot down aircraft.
  6. Antiglow

How do you think the unit cannon wold work it has no "guidance".

Planet to planet artillery would work because of the orbiting nature of planets. The attacking player would have to wait until the orbits of the two planets are right to fire on the side of the planet that he/she wants to fire on. It would bring that whole "the death star is in range" feel to it. When both players are in range each would open up a "broadside" smashing bases on the moon/asteroid and the planet thus being "balanced" because both parties have time to prepare, can take damage, and the situation can only occur when certain conditions are met. As the Uber devs have said, a planet is a deathtrap in this game.
  7. brianpurkiss

Actually. The unit cannon will have guidance.

This is evident in the Kickstarter trailer through the little jetpacks the bots has. It's also evident through various live streams when Uber talks about the Unit Cannon.

The Unit Cannon won't be pinpoint accurate, but we'll be able to tell the unit cannon to send units to a certain area and they will end up there, even if the units are on the far side of the planet.

I like this direction even less.

The game would become chance based to see who gets the lucky orbit first. Even if the orbits do align properly.

For example, each side of earth only sees one side of the moon due to the rotation of the moon. It rotates near perfectly at the same rate of it's orbit.

Switching back to PA, if the moon's orbit was faster than the planet, it could still potentially take several orbits for the rotation to line up in conjunction with the base you want to destroy – assuming we're talking about just planet to planet artillery.

Anything that goes from one planet to another needs to be guided since the planets are all constantly moving and constantly rotating.
  8. krakanu

krakanu Well-Known Member

Why would you use interplanetary artillery to clear a beachhead when you could simply use it to smash the opponents base or snipe his commander? At that point, there is no reason to even bother invading.
    igncom1 likes this.
  9. Antiglow

Before I commented on this I looked in game at PA on how the moon rotates compared to the planet, and it did not take long at all for the moon to be over the other side of the planet. It was rather easy to tell where to put the PTP artillery so that it would be able to fire on the side of the planet you would want it to. And no it would not take several orbits.

Even if the pods can move around in the atmosphere like seen in the kickstarter it would be only within a slight area because they are descending. Also based on the kickstarter and all the live streams the unit cannon would be just like the PTP artillery and could only attack 1/2 the planet based on where the moon is. That to say the only attack difference between the unit cannon and the PTP artillery would be the unit cannon could fire form a farther out orbit.

If you want to believe that the pods could catch the planet's orbit and thus travel to the far side there is no point in saying shells could not do the same, in a slightly less accurate manner.

Yes I agree, except I believe these would only be useful in early orbital game or after a planet smash or when the smashable planet is the only planet you have.
  10. doomrater

doomrater Active Member

I thought interplanetary artillery was coming in the form of the unit cannon? Or is that not going to be an orbital strategy like what we saw on the trailer? And obviously instead of ammo you pack flamethrowers or bomb units for explosives with AI. But if you were to ask me, I'd say the Unit Cannon IS an interplanetary gun.

As far as sniping a commander, there is a counter for every attack you can come up with EXCEPT planet smashing. Nukes have antinukes. Orbital to ground lasers have ground to orbital lasers. Gunships have the flak cannon. Unit cannoning is only going to work as far as there are no bombers and other anti-ground defenses in the area. I mean obviously if you didn't create a stronghold for your commander (and by the time the game has gone multiplanet, you should have one, or a place to hide your commander) one of these strategies is bound to work if your opponent can see your commander.
  11. Antiglow

Well there is no direct counter for normal artillery and catapults. The only way to counter those is to destroy them. I believe because there is a strong counter for everything in the orbital stage we need that M.A.D. (mutually assured destruction) type structure like the artillery and catapults in the planet-side game to keep the game going at a normal pace. If you have ever played online you will eventually get into one of those situations even when you are playing extremely aggressive where they are two or more hardened planets and the game while still winnable goes extremely slow.

Actually planet smashing actually will have somewhat of a counter.
  12. t3mantis

t3mantis New Member

As I said before, I was thinking of using halleys to position your planet so that you can have the perfect angle of attack, you could technically consider halleys as prime target since their destruction give you the mobility advantage over your opponent.

As for the skyramp, yeah I am not sure it will work well, but we can imagine the interplanetary harpoon: use it to fix your planet to your foe's and the only way to remove the haed would be with an engy.

And yes I know there will be other ways to invade a planet I am just suggesting ideas so that this game will have multiple ways to play it.
  13. doomrater

doomrater Active Member

Oh yeah, I almost forgot about artillery. SupCom had shields for countering artillery if I recall.