What game replaced/would replace SMNC for you?

Discussion in 'Unrelated Discussion' started by thebigpill, January 30, 2013.

1. gluteusmaximums

gluteusmaximums New Member

2. Cerilium

Cerilium Active Member

Fist of guthix sure was amazing.

The Evolution of combat has made everything slow now.

Shades of Mort'ton was were I spent most of my days.
    Killing shades, grabbing bones, lighting pyres inside of Mort'ton.
    When a couple of shades that were up to no good, started breaking the temple in my neighborhood.
    I got into one little fight and my mom got scared And said "You're moving with your auntie and uncle in Varrock square."

Don't ask...
  3. mimneotic

mimneotic Moderator Alumni

Mega MNC, when it is released.
  4. d34thmetal

d34thmetal Active Member

Playing some competitive CS:GO at the moment, pretty damn fun. Actually poses a challenge, SMNC just has such few competent players right now it isn't fun anymore.
  5. thebigpill

thebigpill Well-Known Member

Bahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahaha

Oh man that killed me
  6. poiuasd

poiuasd Well-Known Member

Have you ever played comp. CS, Pill?
  7. thebigpill

Nah, don't like camping and calling it skill.

Alright and now my serious opinion on CS:

Code:
    Interviewer: What are your thoughts on Counter-Strike? 
    ArQon: I've barely played it TBH. I like the teamplay focus that it has, but I'm just not interested in campy-snipy games. I don't have the patience to crouch behind a box for hours on end, and I *really* hate some of the underlying concepts: games that have inaccurate weapons but then have headshots as well are about luck, not skill [...]  I see no point to that sort of gameplay. Why not just flip a coin and spend the 20 minutes doing something else instead? :P
    ...As I said, there are definitely some good elements in CS's teamplay, and I'd like to see more emphasis on those in future FPS games (much as RTCW did). The downside is that everything ELSE about CS is a steaming pile of cack.

Edit: A game like SMNC can sort of get away with random spread because there are just three weapons with headshots anyway and SMNC is more than a shooter.
  8. poiuasd

You're not playing the game because some Quake player who, judging by this interview, doesn't have a clue about the game? :lol:

"ArQon: I've barely played it TBH."
  9. thebigpill

ArQon isn't "some quake player." He's the guy that co-designed/programmed CPMA (not to mention one of the most intelligent and outspoken persons I've ever seen, judging by his interviews). His opinion just happens to be the same as mine and I'll immediately admit that I've also barely played CS. Just didn't like it.
  10. poiuasd

Then why are you implying that it doesn't pose an actual challenge when you don't even play it? It's the same if I said that Quake takes no skill blablabla but I won't because I don't play it and I don't know much about it.
  11. thebigpill

You're taking it way too seriously. I was just kidding. There are a lot of people in the Quake community who will start raging if someone mentions they play CS and link this or this and since I'm the Quake guy here, I sorta parodied them. Personally I think the comparison is just stupid.
  12. grimbar

grimbar New Member

Having played competitive wall-staring before, bailed before signing up for any stupid euro leagues that can't even write enforceable rulesets (ESL is a joke) I'd have to side with this
  13. kvalheim

kvalheim Post Master General

I've gotta attest too that CS is dumb luck half the time. I'm a terrible shooter player and still manage to MVP about every 1 in 3 matches
  14. d34thmetal

d34thmetal Active Member

There is definitely that dumb luck element to it, honestly cannot deny it. Though that has nothing to do with it being challenging. Like your quake god said, I enjoy the team play element of it, just as I enjoy the team play element of SMNC. I play the 5 v 5 matchmaking so there is much more team play involved, making it enjoyable. Wish there were more shooters out there that really emphasized teamwork.
  15. AraxisHT

AraxisHT Active Member

I actually really like competitive CS (though I wouldn't bother playing it, I don't have the skill for that). At least they ban obvious exploits. It also requires huge amounts of strategic and tactical planning and communication. There's a reason its got the biggest competitive scene of any FPS.

I really don't mind random spread so long as its just a risk factor in selecting your on-spawn weapon. I don't want it to be standard across the whole selection. (Side thought, how do soldiers feel about real life random spread? How about the Jesu?) It's got to be balanced against the other attributes of the weapon. My biggest problem with comp CS is how homogenized comp loadouts are.
    Imho, CS:S is best CS.

Today, I had someone try to convince me that TDM in Quake and CS:GO were exactly the same :roll:
  16. poiuasd

While Source is the least liked by the competitive CS community.
  17. d34thmetal

d34thmetal Active Member

Yeah CS:S is the worst. 1.6 still my favorite, but just starting to get into CS:GO and since they recently made some changes to the recoil I am liking it more.
  18. infinitycanvas

infinitycanvas Well-Known Member

Hey man, CSS is pretty freaking important in web design, I'd hardly call it the worst.
  19. jbeetle

jbeetle Well-Known Member

http://www.instantrimshot.com
  20. AraxisHT

AraxisHT Active Member

Seems that youve forgotten CS:GO. Only people who were attatched to 1.6 already dislike Source and (unless things have changed) they hate GO more.