What do you want to see in a tournament? #Hearts #Rainbows #TooGirly? #DontJudgeTheHash

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by violetania, May 18, 2015.

1. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

Well your not alone leaving PA Stats on (I have it on all the time). Interestingly your rated 129th on the Uberskill ladder, which would place you in gold league I'd guess. That said your last win was against Elite so I'm thinking you'd probably rank higher than that- elite is no slouch.
    Nicb1 likes this.
  2. Alpha2546

Alpha2546 Post Master General

It just depends on what Violet vision of the tourney is.

I mean if you want to have a hardcore tournament ( which the binary stars pretty much was in my eyes) then stacked etc is allowed. You could see that when that prize pot of 200$ dollar went up for first place. Thats no joke. Especially because second and third won't get ****.

A tournament already feels different if you have a prize pot splitted between first, second and third. Then you know you still might have a chance for the second or third prize pot.

I think Violet wants a more casual tourney with a big player participation? Then I definately wouldn't recommend stacking too. Reason is what elodea said below.
    There are some people that tend to think like this unfortunately and it'll scare people away. Nothing to do about that.

1270288892_by_tabok_500.jpg
    :p
    Hahaa no on a more serious note. We all start somewhere and it just takes a lot of practise to get gut. The eye opener for me was elodea's video with the hotkeying and me winning a game against Kisel. That was excitement right there!

I like that too for a fun casual tourney with big player participation. I better page the @Nosebreaker scrub. Time to get good mate!

I think lower lever play can also be really fun to watch. Not too low though... Don't want to see two turtles turtling it out if you know what I mean.
    Last edited: May 27, 2015
    stuart98 and zihuatanejo like this.
  3. zihuatanejo

zihuatanejo Well-Known Member

Which video was that mate - would you find the link, please? :D
  4. killerkiwijuice

killerkiwijuice Post Master General

Just search "Steve Jobs talks to Bill Gates" or something.
    stuart98 and Alpha2546 like this.
  5. proeleert

proeleert Post Master General

6. zihuatanejo

7. Alpha2546

Alpha2546 Post Master General

Oh no I meant winning a game against kisel using the hotkeys properly. That was one of my most exciting games. @proeleert has the right video. Best part is at 7:50 for me.

Edited my post. Sorry @zihuatanejo !
  8. zihuatanejo

The video is 4:49 long... It even says in the URL, 'easy cookie cutter planetary annihilation build order 4'! I'm so confused! :p Oh hang on I get it. You meant you watched elodea's video, figured out hotkeys and ****, and that helped you win a game against Kisel. Lol :D Thanks for editing!
    Alpha2546 likes this.
  9. violetania

violetania Well-Known Member

Oh wow, great input guys! =D
    Could someone clarify the league idea a little??? Like have matches where uber v uber, plat v plat, gold v gold or????
    Also yea i have been a little lazy Elo, sometimes i just want to grind because #exams #destress #LostHopeOfFindingOutWhoVSAIs
    And omg thank you! I got so mad at people a while ago for making asian jokes after the first time you had face cam and people thought i was just... blarg!!! *grumble**grumble*
    And don't worry guys, there will be prizes for 2nd, 3rd and random reasons =P I mean if you don't want to play to win you can play to find the most retarded way of killing a comm??? I dunno ahah =D
    My main problem for pro-am is to find enough 'pros' willing to team up with 'ams'
    Anyways, love you guys! Exam is in 8 hours so after that i will start prepping for the tourny <3 ^^ Keep those thoughts and rages coming =P
  10. cdrkf

Well the simplest way i think this would work is to do your tourney in a minimum of 2 stages: Stage 1 would be the 'am' section with a rank limit imposed (gold or plat I guess). There would be a (small?) prize for winner of stage 1, and the top 1/2/3 (?) players would be automatically entered into the second tourney.

The second stage would be open to all 'pro' players (i.e. people above the cut off), minus the slots offered to the top placed players from the first event. There would then be the grand prize and probably a prize for at least second as well.

This way it gives the more 'mainstream' players a chance to play similar skilled people, and the best of those get a shot at the top guys, whilst we're not totally excluding the pro players. Obviously this concept could be broken down into more groups, although I'd guess the risk would be finding enough players if we did that. I think a 2 part tourney has a shot of working though, what do you think?
    Alpha2546 and violetania like this.
  11. MrTBSC

MrTBSC Post Master General

... so anything new here @violetania ?

i also just remembered what i like to see more in tournaments in general ...
    you know the sandwich needs bacon to taste good ... but tastes sooo much better with some additional CHEESE ....
    Last edited: June 9, 2015
  12. violetania

well i had a fair idea of what i was going to do before i made this thread, i thought it'd test out the waters but now there's a bunch of ideas and i don't know how to suit everyone! >.< Also i'm slightly put off tournament making after the stress of Admiralty i think >.<
    I'll keep you guys posted ^^
  13. MrTBSC

MrTBSC Post Master General

.... ..... .... :( :( :( .....

look it doesn't have to be anything superbig or superspecial ... try something simple or small first if you are unsure ... and maybe then work up to a series of small events before trying something larger or more complex when you think you are ready ...

you just can't suit everybodies preferences at the same time ... that would be a surefireway to have your project crash and burned ...

so yea please don't stress yourself ...
  14. proeleert

proeleert Post Master General

What I want to see in a tournament "a wishlist by PRoeleert".

Players that turn up well before start.
    Teammates that talk to eachother.
    Players not eating when they should be playing a match letting all other people wait.
    Hosts that wake up and turn up.
    Players not forgetting to enable PAStats.
    Players that read rules and instructions.
    Less Disconnects.
  15. reptarking

reptarking Post Master General

That hosts that wake up and turn up I feel is 99% me
    cdrkf likes this.
  16. cdrkf

You and @clopse (the master of not attending his own tournaments, or disappearing part way through lol).
  17. Clopse

Clopse Post Master General

Haha the thing is I have a crazy busy life these days and life takes over gaming for me. The reason why I was able to attend old clopseys because i knew what I was going to be doing on the Saturday, well cause I would announce them Friday afternoon.

But low numbers and organizers needing more time had resulted in me trying to give a weeks notice before realising I'm being double booked on those days, or it's kinda sunny outside, or this new place has this new beer I'd like to try.
    cdrkf likes this.
  18. cdrkf

Haha that's ok man... Gaming should be a part of life, not the other way around :p
  19. violetania

Yea, part of the reason I've been a bit put off with making a tournament is not being able to decide... but it's also people's inability to be organised.
    I am absolutely anal about organisation and tardiness just doesn't work for me. That and i've been getting a life lately (you have no idea how hard it is to keep up with burning all the calories you've eaten in that day)... so ahahahaha >.< maybe if i think of a good idea i'll host. Else, the stress of unorganized people doesn't seem worth it >.< no offence to some.
    smithforce4305 likes this.
  20. smithforce4305

smithforce4305 Active Member

Maybe 2v2-3v3 tournament. I reckon if you did some modded games mixed in, such as: Guma Guma Slide and Battleship and maybe some more good mods that i'm too lazy to list but having some team game with those would be fun :D oh did I forget to mention maybe a comboxing death match at the end :p
    Alpha2546, Nicb1 and cdrkf like this.