What do you want to see in a tournament? #Hearts #Rainbows #TooGirly? #DontJudgeTheHash

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by violetania, May 18, 2015.

1. violetania

violetania Well-Known Member

Okay, never made a tournament before so i just wanted to check out what people want to see.

Scope of the tournament: Heart themed with rainbow mods, heart mexes, heart pings, heart nukes and etc. Prize will be somewhere between 100-300. I'm thinking teams (no idea about the size) or 1v1s with with multi planets, say about 2-4, with moons gas etc. If this goes through it'll be happening towards the end of june (i know it's a long time away but i have exams till the end of may and mods/maps need to be made haha >.<).
    • So do you guys think the hearts and rainbow theme is too girly for you guys to watch?
    • Do you guys want team games or 1v1s?
    • How many contenders/teams is the optimal?
    • What players do you want to see competing?
    • Do you think multi planet systems will take too long or do you guys think we need more planets in the system?
    • Dates? European uni/highschool exams are probably different to Australia so when will you guys not be free?
    • Anything you don't want to see that's happened in past tournaments (such as people going on mic that are freaking out i.e. me ;P)
    • Other thoughts/comments/blarg?

Anyways, i'd love to hear everyone's opinions, let me know!!! <3
  2. MrTBSC

MrTBSC Post Master General

what i definitively DON'T want to see is multiplanet play cause it still lacks the fluidity mid to late game were matches become heavy spamfests with ton of downtime and lag and slowdown ... not realy something to present your audience ... otherwise it can be 1v1 2v2 or FFA etc ... ...

as for ui mods realy feel free to use whatever you like but keep the game readable ... awesome projectiles kinda messes with that imo ...
    lapsedpacifist and violetania like this.
  3. violetania

What do you think of gas planets and like a tiny tiny 5/no mex moon then??? Also FFA would be amusing, I'll keep that in mind thanks ^^
  4. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

I've been thinking about the multi planet issue and I'm considering that a very concise mod could solve the issue.

Essentially I've always believed that PA on multi planets works best when you can freely move between planets. To that end I propose taking orbital out of the equation almost completely with a simple mod.

The mod wouldn't rebalance anything beyond a few specific options relating to how we move between planets.

The changes I propose so far (maybe some rough edges still need tweaking but bear with me):
    - Remove all orbital with the exception of astreaous and t1 orbital radar.
    - Make t1 orbital very cheap for easy movement between planets.
    - Remove the umbrella, the only anti orbital unit will then be the bluehawk.

- Make unit cannons cheaper but remove their ability to make t2 fabbers (maybe remove t2 units from them too).
    - Remove running cost from teleporters.

These changes mean that we can get much faster ground unit transition between planets. Unit cannons would be strong at T2, although by removing t2 units from them not unstoppable and t2 bots can defend against them a bit.

No orbital stalemates and orbital will only provide transport / intel.

All other units / defences and such the same as now- this will shift the whole focus on land battles and change a planet from an impenetrable fortress to something more akin to an 'island' which is far easier to access.

As far as I'm aware these changes would be quite easy to implement.

I' also suggest that all maps feature a central 'main' planet with all other bodies (all spawn locations critically) orbiting that rather than multiple separate solar orbits to keep transit times minimal. Anyone else think that might work?

@violetania my personal preferences for tournaments would be: 2 v 2 with bo3 for each round (binary stars got this very right) or 1 v 1 double elimination formats.

Multi planet- no unless we did something like I suggest above.

I can take or leave the hearts :p
    lapsedpacifist and violetania like this.
  5. Alpha2546

Alpha2546 Post Master General

• I'd like to see a minimum of 2 players teams and a max of 3 player teams. I also like the idea of avoiding stacked teams which @clopse had in that clopsay tourney? Its fun playing with really good players but I think its better for community building to mix it a little up (adds to the theme too).
    • If you want to go with that theme then I'd say everything with hearts and rainbow effects.
    • Multiplanet could be possible but the system has to be designed right which I don't think there are at the moment ( give it some time before deciding this). Maybe we get an update for the system designer and some really cool multiplanet systems come into play. I would avoid an annihilazer in the system and prefer a couple of smashable planets. ( I want to send a gesture of love to my frenemies)
    • With that prize pool a third, second and first winner and besides that maybe a category (most original kill or something like it. Example group hug with doxen or warm inferno hugs) that can also win some money.
    [​IMG]
    <3

EDIT
    I should better start working on a rainbow trail for halleys >.>.
    violetania likes this.
  6. killerkiwijuice

killerkiwijuice Post Master General

I wanna see a mod tournament. Not mods which completely alter the balance to a point where its no longer PA, but ones that add experimental units and stuff. That would be fun.

and/or some 3v3 games in vanilla.

But no single planet systems below 600 radius ffs
    violetania likes this.
  7. Clopse

Clopse Post Master General

I think single planet under 600 are the most fun to play with this patch. Anything over 600 is an air war. The reason why is because the better players know how to utilize the air, how to supress enemy expansions and are better at calculating risk to reward in confrontations.

If it's a high prize then it has to be competitive teams. Otherwise we risk people cheating and all the complaints that come with it.

So for your first tourney I strongely advise the teams to be whatever way the want.
    Last edited: May 18, 2015
    zihuatanejo, violetania and xankar like this.
  8. violetania

I can't remember that the prize for pro-am was but surely high prize would be 500+? What is your definition?
  9. cdrkf

I think pro am is a good idea, otherwise your handing the prize money to elodea and clopse....

That gets pretty old pretty quickly imo. No offence clopse, you guys are they best players you deserved the win, however having every event as a foregone conclusion is very dull.
  10. dom314

dom314 Post Master General

A high prize is more than $50.
    mot9001 and killerkiwijuice like this.
  11. cdrkf

Just split the prize up a bit more next time. Max would have been thrilled to win something, I just wasn't quite up to it...
    Last edited: May 19, 2015
    elodea likes this.
  12. stuart98

stuart98 Post Master General

So this will have rainbow server mods?

While you're at it, add an experimental rainbow bot of doom. There's a general purpose experimental model that's free to use AFAIK that I can get fixed up for this purpose.
  13. killerkiwijuice

killerkiwijuice Post Master General

but srs we should definitely make a dedicated epxerimental mod with some preexisting models. Nothing else changed, just add those and balance them.
  14. lapsedpacifist

lapsedpacifist Post Master General

Interesting ideas, sounds quite in line with my old musings on how to make orbital less soul crushingly linear and slow paced.

Like violet I have exams till June 1st (and will likely spend a week drinking/festival going after that), but from then on I'll have plenty of time to test mods and lend a hand with tournaments if you're short of organisers.
    cdrkf and violetania like this.
  15. violetania

I've also contacted the rest of pag so Matiz, Neptunio, etc.... Clopse reckons Neptunio is better than elodea so... but i'll consider Pro-am, thanks, when pro-am was mentioned i had an idea of 2Pros and 1 am? so 3v3s, i think that'd be cute ^^ what do you think? but that's just an idea at this stage
    cdrkf likes this.
  16. violetania

@stuart98 , they won't be server mods, they are UI mods (check the PAMM ;P) I don't think half the players would want distracting rainbows and hearts but the casters will be streaming with the UI mods.

Also bloody hell @dom314 who's going to enter a competition with a prize of 50??? Also do you mean 50 pp or 50 in total, because 50 in total is less than 20 each for a group of 3 o_O..... but i will consider what Clopse said if i do a pro-am. I mean i'm all for spending less, 300 could maybe get me a dress so... yar =P

@cdrkf, I am planning to split the prize up more so that people get a prize for the most rekt or the most epic win or blarg =P

Anyways, thank you everyone for your inputs, if you guys think of anything else you want to see/know then let me know ^^

Also what do you guys think of splitting up the contest? So maybe having an am section and then a pro section or a small 1v1 then some 3v3s etc????
    cdrkf likes this.
  17. wpmarshall

wpmarshall Planetary Moderator

What I want to see in a tournament;

> Avatar Factories
    > Copious supplies of scones

That is all.
    cdrkf likes this.
  18. Clopse

Clopse Post Master General

Get a donate for the tournament button on your stream, it may help to cover some costs. This is the whole world remember v so some people consider $20 and $50 a considerable amount of money.
  19. Geers

Geers Post Master General

No thanks.
    MrTBSC, squishypon3, stuart98 and 3 others like this.
  20. cwarner7264

cwarner7264 Moderator Alumni

We are due another AbleGamers one soon, methinks.

If you're doing 3v3 pro-am, I'd strongly advise 1 pro / 2 am. That lets the pro take on team captain status.
    wpmarshall and cdrkf like this.