What do you look forward to most in PA.

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by garatgh, October 17, 2012.

1. nii236

nii236 New Member

I am looking forward to giant battles that last an entire LAN party (2 days) with players that can join midgame as reinforcements. An ever changing tide of battle over a larger scope than has been ever done before.
  2. molloy

molloy Member

Multiplayer. I'm hoping the game garners enough of an audience to have a larger playerbase that hangs around long enough to make the galactic war stuff work well.
  3. adecoy95

adecoy95 Member

co-op

i look forward to fighting hordes of computer opponents with a few friends
  4. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

The units and technology.

Also ^ Nice signature, I always wondered what Luna did for 1000 years.
  5. ayceeem

ayceeem New Member

Ranting furiously on message boards about how Uber made a giant turd and why I would make a better game designer than them.
  6. thedeserttiger

thedeserttiger New Member

Blowing planets up! enough said.
  7. AfailingHORSE

AfailingHORSE Member

id be lieing if i didn't say smashing planets into each other
  8. drtomb

drtomb Member

release date. :mrgreen:

... also no experimentals, no supcom2 tech tree or OP commander upgrades
  9. paulzeke

paulzeke Member

I'm so excited for everything about this game!! The scale, the concept, the art, the battles, the planet smashing! Love it all!

Most of all, this engine is the perfect outlet for a game idea I've been wanting to make for a few years! I have a huge world setting written out for an alternate 20th century battle epic. Think Command and Conquer Red Alert style.

I want to do a single player campaign for PA, set in this world that I've been writing.

I've got some rough sketches for the game art, and am getting set up to produce in a home office. I already work full time at a tv animation studio, but I intent to put what spare time I can into getting this project started. I was originally planning on making a FPS, but PA makes me think an RTS would be more appropriate

Anyone know where I should get started? I really need to connect with some people who have experience with the code side of modding.
  10. wolfdogg

wolfdogg Member

You do realise that if you did that then you have basically sealed your planets fate yourself? Once the asteroid is headed for your base, destroying the engines won't make it stop - it'll just mean that you've got no way of changing the asteroids course and your only remaining option will be to destroy the asteroid. Which you might as well have done in the first place in that case.

I'm really looking forward to the spherical maps. Nowhere to hide and no corners to back yourself into!

I'm also looking forward to the return of the metal planets and finding out what the orbital layer is going to consist of.

I'm looking forward to seeing the new crazy super weapons and a game with no experimental units being spammed all over it.
  11. PKC

PKC New Member

smashing all the noobs that suggested awful ideas that didn't make it into the game.
  12. zachb

zachb Member

Well for now you might want to practice modding Supreme Commander. It's by the same people and pretty much the same type of game. I would guess that a lot of the coding conventions that you'd learn in SC will carry over to PA. Also if you are planning to do a reskin of most of the units and buildings (replacing space robots with C&C Red Alert) you'll have to practice making 3D models and getting them into a game, which SC modding should prep you for.

Eh, really I just through it would be neat to have little 5 minute punch ups every once in a while to break up the "Turtle for an hour and then blitz" games that I see in a lot of the public servers. So every once in a while you'd get a collision alert that would say "you have x minutes to clear out a 1/2 km map before a giant explosion happens in your base." Then you'd have an impromptu all out brawl before getting back to the regular pace of the game.

Oh well if the idea doesn't work it doesn't work. Actually in retrospect it might be a better game mechanic to say that you need to capture the engines with an engineer to knock it off course. So you'd have to clear out an asteroid of enough hostiles so that it's safe enough for an engineer to park next to the engines for a while.
    Last edited: October 24, 2012
  13. dalante

dalante Member

I'm all for turtlefests. Friends and I would divvy up maps in SC1 and arrange forces for one big battle, and I expect to do that with much larger armies.
  14. christopher1006

christopher1006 Member

I'm looking forward to PA not going the way of Generals 2 by EA...
  15. elexis

elexis Member

Fixed.
  16. Bastilean

Bastilean Active Member

17. dalante

dalante Member

Whenever the inevitable Sol System map arrives.
    Huge battles for earth commence!
  18. xnavigator

xnavigator Member

A bug-free game
    A good multiplayer ecosystem to play it competitevly (like sc2 esport)
  19. commandantdare

commandantdare New Member

Unorthodox tactics that might be crazy enough to work...Like smashing asteroids together to make planet covering asteroid belts. Or launching a moon in a random direction and waiting to see if it hits somthing.
  20. garatgh

garatgh Active Member

Theres no such thing. Even games thats been patched for years upon years (like starcraft) still has bugs. Theres only games were the bugs dont bother you.